Any ideas?

TroyJames

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is it and what's its value? Found in Grimes County texas. image.jpgimage.jpg

Upvote 0
Might be a type of Tang Knife. Value on arrowheads and knifes aren't allot. That one you wont get rich on.

Value on damage points not usually high. ...

Personally I am not a believer in restored points.....It is like buying modern knapped points....Again just my personal opinion. ..If I found it I would keep it as found...

Personally I am not a believer in restored points.....It is like buying modern knapped points....Again just my personal opinion. ..If I found it I would keep it as found...

so would i
i think it is cool

Looks like a damaged/re worked corner tang knife. I like the size of it. I also would not restore any point. As far as value, it is not in the best of shape. Maybe a G6. Could get anywhere from $50 to $80 for it. Maybe more. It is worth whatever a collector will pay for it.

What I'm seeing is an incomplete piece... it looks like it was on its way to becoming a-side notched point/blade and just isn't finished.
There seems to be a change in the patina around the notch and on that side but even on the "freshly" exposed material there seems to be a good amount of mineralization so my guess would be it was found by another Native American at a later time and worked on for a bit.
Probably found as a large blade or late stage preform with a concave base

Last edited:
Looks like an unfinished greenbrier or it was a knife broke leaving the ear shape I have one that was a long stem adena broke at base it looked just like and ear haha but who knows nice find ;)

Finally broke down and bought the latest edition, 2011, of Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians. There are a lot of changes and new classifications that I was unaware of. One of these was the Pipe Creek Biface. This point sure looks like it could be one. What do you think? image.jpgimage.jpg

A lot of names given to things that are just different steps in the knapping process in my opinion.
Unless there is evident use wear or resharpening I would call those...unfinished corner notched points.

Last edited:
The only sense I couldn't make out of it being configured like that would be to haft like this for use as a knife...but then the expansion of the stem would create a problem that makes no sense.
What's going on with the patina on the back side of that anyway?
Just the lighting? It looks rechipped

ForumRunner_20140808_151026.png

Last edited:
It could be it was never finished and was going to have matching tang on opposite side or as Gator said it could have been a knife.....

I think Gator Boy is right. It is an unusual point though. I have seen a few with only one notch but not with that thin of a base. Very unique.

yep yep
i gotta agree........
.......but i know that the Treasure_Hunter means no disrespect either and he likes the Dr.Gomer just like i do..........if i wanna buy a vintage guitar
i won't pay full value for a refinished piece worth maybe 1/3 value
i have had dr gomer restore some huge fish hooks that i am so amazed by that i cannot even figure out how he can do such a wunderful job with.....
and he did a giant side notch KRF knife he did also and he studies the flaking patterns and duplicates them so perfectly and i love it

he is great and he knows what he is doing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back