What's new

Any ideas?

Out Of Time

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2019
Messages
326
Reaction score
879
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this out of a creek bank in northern California.

20190529_193427.webp

20190529_193418.webp

Anybody know the type?
 
Upvote 0
To add to the discussion...
Obsidian (volcanic glass) is one of the premier materials used by NA and is documented to have traveled hundreds of miles from its source.
It is hard and very brittle, but is ideal in producing a surgical edge; and is still used currently for that purpose.
The point you have (no doubt it’s a point) is either used up, banged up, or just a bit crude.
The fluting appearance on the one end (hard to determine the Basal end) could have been caused by impact or thinning. It does not appear to be intentional fluting.

Your point about 'which end is which' is highly relevant.

As are your remarks about obsidian trade.

Cheers.
 
Last edited:
I agree with ToddsPoint (Gary). I'd say the knapper could not get the piece to cooperate and tossed it.
 
I agree with ToddsPoint (Gary). I'd say the knapper could not get the piece to cooperate and tossed it.

Most likely.

Thanks, Tdog.
 
Don't give up Borax Lake Points are found over a wide area of California . And here's a Tulare Lake Clovis or a California Fluted point if you like that name better . From Artifact Jacks collection .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6107.webp
    IMG_6107.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom