Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
If you add "applied medallion" to your search you find a lot of reproductions of Joseph Frances (or Ioseph Frances), and it looks like there may be initials to that effect on this?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you add "applied medallion" to your search you find a lot of reproductions of Joseph Frances (or Ioseph Frances), and it looks like there may be initials to that effect on this?

Yea good research. Its apparently a repro of a 1650-1660 Joseph Francis wine bottle found at Jamestown., There are a ton of reproductions.
I cant find one with a handle. Some old repros have value

There is a J and 2 stars https://www.etsy.com/listing/92196163/1600s-joseph-frances-antique-wine-bottle

I found one with J and 2 stars but I lost the link

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heres a J and 2 stars medallion but no handle GREEN CRUDE HAND BLOWN REPRO OF 1650s SHAFT & GLOBE WINE BOTTLE JAMESTOWN SEAL | eBay

This is a hand blown, pontiled reproduction of a 1650s shaft and globe wine bottle that was found at Jamestown...in fact, the original bottle can be seen in the Jamestown Visitor Center Museum.

It has a crude applied shoulder seal with 2 stars and the letter J, which stood for Joseph Frances....

Hand blown....pontiled bottom....crude applied V ring around neck with flared top ring....green.....round bulbous "shaft & globe" shape......9"tall....Sparkling mint condition with no chips or damage. This reproduction bottle was made as close as possible to the original bottle found at Jamestown.

Attachments

• medallion.jpg
    medallion.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Below the J, is there a really faint F between the stars, or am I imagining it?
The listing says that's a Jamestown seal, but I can't find that elsewhere?

Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I was in Jamestown, 1967, they had a glass blowing exhibit and were blowing similar bottles for the tourists. Can't say on the one you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last time I was in Jamestown, 1967, they had a glass blowing exhibit and were blowing similar bottles for the tourists. Can't say on the one you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is one they sell at the Plimouth Plantation Museum Shop for $45 but it seams a different seal. I would imagine the bottle is duplicated with various seals. During the 17th century, it was customary for high-ranking gentlemen to order wine bottles from England stamped with their personal seal.

https://www.plimoth.com/collections/glass/products/green-joseph-frances-wine-bottle

A 1600s authentic wine bottle unearthed however would look more like this. Nicholson Bottles | Historic Jamestowne So its obviously not an authentic 1600s bottle but it may be an older reproduction of one that may be worth more than you paid for it.

Attachments

• bottle 1600.jpg
    bottle 1600.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jtw1313

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest: