Any Tips For MXT?

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
well, that's an interesting way to ground balance the MXT...where you hold it at waste high, squeeze the trigger in. I simply turn on the device over clean ground and gently porpoise the coil over the ground till it gets real quiet. I always hunt in relic mode also as I'll dig all good high tones. I try to skip the piercing 'yelling at ya' tones which are often aluminum cans or similar. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a squirrel (I like cats alot by the way).

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
I have had some very good luck and bad luck with my MXT.

Good luck first. I found a 1856 seated dime and a 1783 1/2 Reale in about 15 minutes one evening recently.

Bad Luck next. I went back to the sight where I found the aforementioned coins the next day, same settings, ground balanced same way and all that I could dig was rusted iron. I would start out using relic mode to locate the targets, then switch to coin and jewelry, then switched to prospect to read for iron(which showed 20% iron). When I would dig, it was all rusted iron of some form or fashion. This was an old ghost town, near two rivers. Could the ground be too hot from all of the minerals in flood waters and from old nails, etc. when I ground balance? Advice....????

It could be that you just had a great day on day 1 and a less good day on day 2....Are you in Virginia (Ashland) or another named place?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's states to turn it on waist high so it isn't seeing any ground before you start to ground balance the detector and pulling the trigger once your over the ground is the best way to make sure the ground is clean of any metal. I've heard some people say they just turn it on and detect as it will balance itself as long as the tracking isn't locked but you might pass over a deep target before the detector is ground balanced properly, you should ground balance first if you run with the tracking locked for sure and if I'm running with the tracking locked I always rebalance every 20 to 30 minutes though I rarely run with the tracking locked but it might be needed if your ground is completely loaded with iron. HH

squizzy

Greenie
Jul 21, 2015
Wangaratta
Detector(s) used
Adventure Ridge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only dig a solid target number so any solid target number I get!! so if the number jumps around on a target more then 5 ie if I swing over it and it only jumps say between 65 to 70 to 60 I'll dig it, better still if it only jumps about 2-3 around the same numbers, and I'll hold it in different angles to see it it changes and then once over the target pull the pinpointed trigger in then let it go to see if it brings up the same number as before squeezing the trigger and if it's the same number straight away its s Good target , as foil and most rubbish will jump around soon as the trigger is released This little trick seems to work quite well for me and I'm using the MXT All Pro Try this trick and see if it works as good as it dose for me. It's called charging your target.. Cheers and happy hunting

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dowsing/Divining rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting better results with my MXT. 99% of my problems were operator error.

Has anyone used the MXT Max coil? What are your thoughts and advice on using it on the MXT or MX5 or M6?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try a different head set .I bought a new one when i had the DFX and i had the volume turned way up 'I couldn't hear very well and sent it back.
When i got the new head set i could hear real loud. My neighbor has a mxt and i got to use it. Really not for me.

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dowsing/Divining rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone had any luck ground balancing their MXT using these methods? These methods do not mention finding a "clean spot" to ground balance.
1) "Put the MXT in Relic Mode and set the descrim. control low and run in Ground Trac mode for a minute, then switch to lock."
2) "Put MXT in Relic mode, trigger center, descrim. control low, and run in Ground Trac."

Please advise.

I usually hunt in "hot iron" areas with lots of nails, horseshoes, etc.

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
Has anyone had any luck ground balancing their MXT using these methods? These methods do not mention finding a "clean spot" to ground balance.
1) "Put the MXT in Relic Mode and set the descrim. control low and run in Ground Trac mode for a minute, then switch to lock."
2) "Put MXT in Relic mode, trigger center, descrim. control low, and run in Ground Trac."

Please advise.

I usually hunt in "hot iron" areas with lots of nails, horseshoes, etc.

Sounds like a lot of work to gb the MXT. Your best bet would be to follow what White's recommends and others have stated earlier. Like others have stated, the MXT line will gb itself eventually (as long as it's not locked). The only problem with expecting it will do this on its own; you may lose targets.

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
I am getting better results with my MXT. 99% of my problems were operator error.

Has anyone used the MXT Max coil? What are your thoughts and advice on using it on the MXT or MX5 or M6?

You should probably start a new thread to get this answer as it's a bit off topic. Plus, this post is a few months old so not a whole lot of people reading it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread