Anybody experienced detecting here in Ohio?

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Northeast Ohio currently, where the dirt goes a few feet (or some places just a few inches) down then turns to clay. Anybody from around here done much hunting and have any idea on how deep you usually find coins? I am hoping to find coins especially from the mid 1800s to early 1900s.

The detector I have is just a bounty hunter quicksilver, I am wondering if I will be able to find many old coins. I have done some detecting at a 1920s house the last couple of days, found 6 new coins and a wheatie, but I am going to go to a 1860s house soon.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should do ok with the Bounty Hunter but will pry have troubles in trashy areas, you can always go back to those places when you upgrade or give me the addresses and I can let you know what you missed :laughing7:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a whole lot of swinging in Ohio in the 80's. Whole lot of that black sponge cake soil, dug dimes at 10" & 12" deep.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At some sites the old coins were only between 4 and 7 inches and at others as deep as 8 through 10. I mainly hunt yards, parks, schools and other public lands but am not opposed to going into the fields, water, or woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions