Anyone ever ask permission to detect on State Forest land?

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Would be an Automatic NO! Almost Everything State is Legally Protected. Allways ask though.

thanx for asking.
from a forum member

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what you are looking for.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

Attachments

• MA1.jpg
    MA1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 862

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to get anyone's hopes up, but I know several people in the DCR and I plan on requesting permission to hunt a particularly large state forest in Worcester county this spring/summer....I'll keep you all posted as to the response I get, and if it's favorable we could organize a modest group for a hunt...sound good?

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
I have and do. No historical sites! Make sure you have a name if challanged, don't make a mess or bother anyone. Good luck. Cladius.

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the two main people I ventured to ask permission from are both out of their respective offices until next Monday. I'll check back then.

Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great kidd. I let this one go, I won't lie, I just haven't gotten around to asking yet. The weather hasn't helped my motivation at all. But I did talk to a friend who is the chairwoman of a local conservation commission...I explained my fascination with local history and my love of this hobby, and I asked "what good does it do to let something rot in the ground, unknown forever?" and she answered as expected,

"Because if most people found something of historical significance, they'd probably sell it"

So I then say...

"Not all people would do that, and even if someone did...why would you care? You don't know anything about it, and it's being privately passed around in exchange for money, being enjoyed and learned from by people who devote their lives to collectiong such things. What is soooo wrong with that?"

"Because there's also the factor of disrupting ecological patterns if you dig in certain areas."

I asked her to explain and she said something about disturbing the balance in the soil which would affect forest growth, which over time would then affect the habitat of various creatures. And in her regular job she's an environmental lab analyst, so I can respect that kind of knowledge. But I persisted on the side of appreciating history, and learning from it and enjoying it...and she eventually came around to saying "well obviously if you're out in the middle of nowhere, chances are you won't be seen and nobody will say anything...just be careful, PLEASE". I could tell she was a little frustrated with me, but understood. We've been friends for 23 years, so she's cutting me some slack I think.

Anyway....what prompted such a long-winded post, I couldn't say. Forgive me fellow residents, if you are indeed still reading.

Skillets

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
It's a pretty good example of how people hold a position and admit there is any logic to another's point of view.

Also reminds me of the silliness I've run into a few times. For instance, in a discussion with a ranger I ran into on a Cambridge water supply location while carrying my detector in. While I could actually tell she was sympathetic, she had to uphold the official position, even if it didn't make the most sense. That digging holes would negatively affect the water supply was a bit absurd to me, particularly given that the body of water has dog doo all around it that isn't picked up (and there were squirrel holes everywhere).

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Check here for more info-

http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

Massachusetts http://www.mass.gov/dcr/forparks.htm

Regulations governing the use of metal detectors on Massachusetts State Forests and Parks property:

CMR 304 12.11

No Person shall use or offer to use metal detectors on Department property except at the discretion of the area Supervisor on designated swimming beaches and designated campsites. The Director may issue a special use permit authorizing archaeologically-related or geologically related activities

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread