What's new

Anyone ever hear of Fish Points before?

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone had heard of the term "Fish Points" and if you have and have found some please post them on this thread. Allot of the old time hunters around here say there is a point called that. Only found around rivers or creeks.
Also I got my new book.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2845.webp
    100_2845.webp
    187.4 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
I've heard them described as long slender points with many barbs to grip the fish when struck. There would have been a fishing line tied to the base of the point so the fish could be hand lined in after it was hit. I've never seen or heard of one here and I'm surrounded by water. It sounds like something that would turn into a slang term like bird point that doesn't accurately describe most of the objects that were labeled as such.... but I'm sure some projectile points were shot into fish.
 
Last edited:
We have a type here in Ohio called a Fishspear Point, though I don't believe they were actually used for gigging fish. They are a long, slender type with a median ridge and usually shallow notches.

Here's a few of my examples.
 

Attachments

  • Steve Valentine Collection 121 (Large).webp
    Steve Valentine Collection 121 (Large).webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 119
I like those Reap. They remind me of a type we have here.
 
Last edited:
Up here I've seen copper and bone fishing/ spear points- but I don't know about stone. How do you like your new book? Is it what you wanted?



Modern sturgeon spearing Lake Winnebago, Wi.
 

Attachments

  • P2090099 (640x480).webp
    P2090099 (640x480).webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 128
i herd of them rock,type that is,but seen some made for fishing but think made for a spear,gator is that a bolen?
 
I have had people say that but it is a Greenbriar.
 
I have several....if I can find em,I will share.They have one longated barb
 
Thanks... That's a new spot too. 4 hour drive but I'm heading back soon.
 
Well I have been finding these for a while now in all different colors and shapes. Some will disagree and say Debitage flakes but that is ok. I showed these to somebody local and they said that it was a Fish Point. They are Unifacial and only found around creeks mostly. I dont know as to how they mounted them or if they were used with bow or not. I was just wondering if anyone else had found some. I still have to contact a local Ga person to find out on them to be sure. I got one I found the other day and will show it. I found it maybe 50 ft from the creek. Thanks, rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_2846.webp
    100_2846.webp
    141.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_2847.webp
    100_2847.webp
    132 KB · Views: 112
Is there fine pressure flaking around the edge? I have points made on flakes. Please don't take this wrong but Georgia is not so special that something will be found there and no where else in North America.
Seems like you've been doing this long enough to use your own judgement. do you see something that was purposely made? If you have to try that hard to figure out if it was done on purpose it wasn't.
 
Last edited:
I have been told that what are known as "bird points" were often actually used for fish. We find a lot of them on the coast and along the Columbia River and its tributaries. Do you guys find the tiny "bird points" much inland?
 
Here is a flake point. Its almost unifacial except for edge work on side B.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130304_102943.webp
    ForumRunner_20130304_102943.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 102
There are the Orient Fishtails, or Fishspear points, but most likely they are talking about arrow points with elongated barbs, like the Gunther variants in the Pacific Northwest. However, the misconception is based on little to no factual evidence of Native Americans taking fish with points like those. It was far more simple to make harpoons out of bone, wood, or antler or just use nets or traps.

very true....and also for this area the use of a bone hook with bait and sandstone sinker to keep it right on the bottom
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do have this Point that actually looks like a fish. This isn't broken. It was made this way.
 

Attachments

  • Pics-347.webp
    Pics-347.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Pics-348.webp
    Pics-348.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 110
LOL.
It's an angel fish.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom