What's new

Anyone into collecting vises?

I like vises, older the better; as a blacksmith, weldor, and fabricator, it is more about using them than not though. Post vices are very cool, please don't cut the legs off!:dontknow:
 
I've got several vises around here. I'll have to take some pix later. My favorite is a big post vise.
 
Why is a good vise so expensive nowadays? Can you please advise me a good company that produces a vise because I personally can't find good ones on my own. Vises in stores are either incredibly expensive, and it's not even clear why, or they just look substandard and inconvenient. I'm not looking for something incredibly special, just a suitable good vise for work. For work, I very often use a desktop vise, so it is important for me that the vise is strong and does not accidentally break. It is because of the fragility that I am afraid to buy a vise with a rotating head like here swindens.co.uk. Of course, high-quality and more expensive vises will probably serve for a long time, but it's still scary to buy at random.

Wilton makes good vises, not cheap, but tough and get the work done. Or just get something off HF and scrap it if it breaks. If you are not in the USA, i do not have any advice.
 
I have about 8 of them, I clean out houses that sell, if they are there, they want them out
 
Yeah swindens are very good vices. I have sold them on eBay , they always seem in high demand.
 
I have about 8 of them, I clean out houses that sell, if they are there, they want them out

I have considered offering this service as I am self employed and have several large trailers, dumps and the like. I wander if I could pick your brain about pricing and such?
 
Couple shots of my post vise!
 

Attachments

  • 102_1192.webp
    102_1192.webp
    318.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 102_1193.webp
    102_1193.webp
    267.5 KB · Views: 44
Vises are cool, but some would say that I collect vices instead.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom