Apache Gold Mine

curly

Greenie
Sep 13, 2003
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any discoveries or news on finding any of the following lost gold mines in the US?

Lost Apache Gold Mine
Ben Sublett Mine in Texas
Guadalupe Gold Mine
Geronimo's Gold Mine
Adam's Diggings
Thorpe Mine
Shaeffer Diggings

Like to start a discussion on these lost treasures and find out if anyone has found anything? Also have information to share...

---Curly

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
IRS Agent

?First off !
Swear a "Blood Oath" that you are are? NOT!
Some nasty IRS agent or work for some other Greedy Govt. agency !
Trying to "Hook", by your normal, underhanded, &? devious methods
Some unsuspecting TH'er into admitting that he/she may have found a
cache!
? ? ? ? ? ? WELL!

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Apache Gold

:evil:
Not Any More...HornToad !!
I am heading in there Monday !
I am now preparing the Jeep, fuelin up and a' loading up !
Let there be WAR! if need be !
I am a comin! You red skins !
Just look'm for "Yellow" Jeep
That'm be me!
Seriously, I am heading in, Monday !
Anyone care to go along ?
Drop me a line at
[email protected]
Be FAST! Monday is rolling around !
Cptbil & Pepsi

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Treasure Trips

:D
I have spent three months in the field, (N.M., ARIZ) so far this year!
I intend to be out until either end of Nov.
Or middle of Dec.
When I say "Out", I mean "camping out" in the field treasure hunting !
If you'd like photos, I'll ship some, you pay the postage ?
BUT! Hurry, I am leaving this Wednesday (was going monday, But Jeep parts problems arose) for two more weeks!

Cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
How much ?

:wink:
Come on now !
Do You really expect someone to say he/she found this much or that much ?
Like you said, there is a %'age reward from the IRS!
But!
Let's just say....
I am heading for China in March '04 !
I will be gone around 12 months !
Need proof ?
I'll be more than happy to send you my e-mail address/photos from there !
Plus !
I have just, last June, bought a brand new house/car and furniture (for cash), I already owned the 15 ac. parcel of land by the river!
:shock:
AND! You're invited to come down and see for yourself!
REALLY!
Now!
Just how many Poor Treasure Hunters do you know who can afford that ?
:D Note:
If you got a few "bucks" to spare, I can put you into a really good investment(s) over there (In China) !
CptBil
PS.. :? You can't demote me!!!
I was commissioned by our present, and highly esteemed Comd. in Chief

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Judgement

:( What is your problem?
I have no idea which of the many "Lost Apache Mines" you are talking about!
I certainly hope, that you don't think that there is just one "Lost Apache Mine"!
I was just injecting a little humor !
I case you don't know how many "L.A.Ms."
I have in my research file, information on atleast, SIX !
Although, in this day and age, I doubt that any of them :shock: "are still guarded by apache warriors" !
AND! Here you are "jumping all over" people for no reason ?
So! I have had a little good luck !
Isn't that ONE! of the reasons why we go out into the field ?
SO! AND! AGAIN!
I offer you the opportunity to go out in the field and do some hunting!
But! As I mentioned, it will not be for just a week end !
Heck!
It takes me that long to get into an area and set up camp!
Let's go look for your "Lost Apache Mine"!
Where ever it might be .
But! Please hurry !
I am only in Arizona for a week or so, then I'm heading over to N.M. to do some more /uncoveringserious digging!

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
HMMMM,

prvt bill, i was not the one who asked about the mine. it was curly. but for the record there is 17 apache mines out there. but so far only 3 can be proved to be of some true source.

OP
OP
C

curly

Greenie
Sep 13, 2003
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Geronimo, the richest gold mine in the western world lay in the Guadalupe Mts. and that their mine (Apche Gold Mine) was there. They called it "Sno-ta-hay" which means, "just lying around". I have seen the actual Apache clues to its location. The clues are very strong and the Apache people knew very well how to locate the placer using mountains and other landmarks. It may be that today its buried my them, but according to legend, a white man was accessing it and taking Gold from it as late as 1892. I also believe this a lost Spanish mine which they found in the 1600's and other mined after that in the early 1800's. Its an interesting legend, this Apache Mine, and yes, its talked about all over the southwest and takes many forms.
The other large mine the Apaches owned in in the Sierra Madres in Mexico, and there are books about Apache talking about their last stronghold near the mine in the mountains there and their days there till the army drove them out and into exile in the US. There may be some tales of gold in Arizonaassociated with the Apache legend, but the one Im asking about is in New Mexico/Texas. Love to chat with others who have studied this legend. and share facts.

Curly

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
lost mines

this is about the best site on the adams mine. but, remember only belive half of what you hear or read. over the years most lost mines are blown so far away from the true story, its hard to find what the real meaning is.
As for Geronimo, he hated the whites that ran his people off there land and why would he give the location to the mine or mines known to his people. sounds like he was pulling a joke on the white people. good luck, boomer

Adams Samples
Return to Homepage The Lost Adams Diggings The Myth, the Mystery and the Madness. Sample Chapters Ebooks by Jack Purcell Hell Bent For Santa Fe - The Texan Santa Fe Expedition of 1841 The Lost ... ... Probably no man living is better authority on the subject of the Lost Cabin Mine or Adams Diggings than is R.C. ...
www.jackpurcellbooks.us/pages/sample chapters/adams samples.htm

P

pamk

Hi Boomer. Patterson is just another of Dobies characters. Part of his story could be true and part is just another story of a mans adventure.

Part of what Patterson says makes sense, the other could easily be any of the other lost Adams Diggins stories around.

You can ask what do I base my conclusions on. Partly from my brother in law and brother, who French gathered some of his research on. As in the book Four Days from Ft. Wingate. Bob Gordon and Larry Johnson. The other from years of research of the families involved in the Adams Diggings in the early years. Check out my contributions to Jack's thoughts. In addition to conversations with others, which prompted me to other researchers I haven't visited with in a while. Quite a few of which have dropped out of the picture.

Do I know where the diggings are? No way! As far as I am concerned there is no definitive answer where they lay. Do I know where a warm spring lays within a days ride of Springerville? Yes. Does it have anything to do with the Adams. Don't know. Adams was a story teller. Snively was a story teller. Spurgeon was a story teller. Tenney was a story teller. Everybody is a story teller. It's their 15 minutes to fame. Which story is the most true? Dont know. Won't even get involved with Geronimo!

But the Adams, what I do know.

We have the most celebrated story. Of which is lays somewhere in now days southeastern AZ or southwestern NM. Which at one time would have NM. Since all of southern NM/AZ was AZ and northern NM/AZ was NM.

Then we have the story on the cave in northern AZ, a complety different Adams.

Then we have the story over in CA, with the Mormons and a lost Apache gold mine. Didn't know that Apaches went over that far!

The Adams story of diggins north of Silver City but twenty or so years earlier.

As I say, I just look for research that adds to any of these.

Me, I think they left out of Tuscon, followed part of the old Coronado trail, left or right of Camp Grant, or whatever name it went by then. Passed close to the future Ft Apache and ended up near the future Ft. Tulrosa. The year 1862. I think they were picked up by a patrol out near Ft. West or it's location. It's not a lie to place things near where they were then. Just another part of the story.

Mostly I would like to see anything connected to Doc Thorne. All of the stories I have seen place him as a Dr. at Ft McDowell and the stories all center around 1870. Impossible since Dr. Thorne answered the 1870 census in Letimar NM. Also does not fit in with him after his release walking into Lordsburg NM.

Anybody, who has anything to offer to any of these stories, I would like to hear.

Thanks for the reply!

P

pamk

Of course it's another possiblity. Brewer and I discussed it several years ago. It's been said that Dobie was set up to write many of his stories as a cover up.

It's no different that Purcell's on the Mormon connection.

I agree whatever the story is, it's much different than the one we hear so much about and the search is fun.

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
The Lost Adams Diggings - Myth, Mystery and Madness

Does anyone have any discoveries or news on finding any of the following lost gold mines in the US?

Lost Apache Gold Mine
Guadalupe Gold Mine
Geronimo's Gold Mine
Adam's Diggings
Thorpe Mine
Shaeffer Diggings

Like to start a discussion on these lost treasures and find out if anyone has found anything? Also have information to share...

---Curly

Hi Curly

The Lost Adams Diggings - Myth, Mystery and Madness

The book is mine, so it qualifies as shameless self-promotion, me putting it here. It's the product of a lot of years of research in libraries, on the internet, and poring through material from the US Archives, as well as trekking into countless canyons in NM and AZ, knowing exactly where it was a hundred times, until I got there.

It's 240 pages, heavily footnoted and fully indexed to allow you to find almost any aspect of the research, the country, or the versions of the legend. This is the last book anyone will ever need to write about the Lost Adams Diggings until someone wants to tell the story of finding it (if they happen to be that stupid).

You can read sample chapters here: http://www.jackpurcellbooks.us/ and you can read the reviews by people who've already read it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1208729/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-7742858-6700864.

One chapter of the book tells as many locations I've already visited as I could remember, and what I found there, along with the UTM coordinates of those locations. Another gives a plethora of likely locations I haven't been to yet, but hope to someday if I live long enough, along with their UTM coordinates. There's a chapter on desert survival (a condensed version of my ebook, Desert Emergency Survival Basics that's also listed on Amazon. The rest is all research, analysis, and a lot of material that hasn't seen the light of day since before automobiles and pavement.

There's a middling chance it's in your local library, or that they'll pick up a copy if you ask for it. So, if you don't want to buy it, be my guest.

If you do want to buy it and you'd like a signed copy you'd do best to buy it from the website. Otherwise you might want to take a look at some of the price-breaks some of the sellers are giving it under the New and Used Amazon listings.

....................................................................................................

I'm getting into this discussion a bit late, but I see a few items here I'd like to toss out an observation or comment about:

As for Geronimo, he hated the whites that ran his people off there land and why would he give the location to the mine or mines known to his people. sounds like he was pulling a joke on the white people. good luck, boomer

Geronimo was about 20 years too young to have much to do with the Adams. And mostly, before it all ended every Apache hated white people. Provided they didn't start out that way.

Aha. When you consider the allegation that the Mormons and the KGC were but two arms of a much larger organization, things seem to fit together a little more snugly, don't they? Maybe Jack's Mormon connection makes a little more sense than many have given him credit for.

Springfield, I don't know whether my 'Mormon connection' makes sense or not, but the connection's there, for certain. Brewer was definitely in Mexico from the late 1890s until 1912. He had kids there, on public record, as late as around 1902. The last one died in California in the late 1980s. And Brewer and both Tenneys were definitely Mormons. Ammon Tenney Sr. founded the Mormon community of Ramah, NM, before he moved to Walnut Grove farm near Springerville.

Weirder, and making even less sense, Brigham Young's wife, Susan Snively Young has a bothersome and unusual maiden name shared with Jacob Snively, who was almost certainly the 'German'/'Dutchman' of the Adams tale.

It's been said that Dobie was set up to write many of his stories as a cover up.

Coverup for what? Dobie was a story teller. He told a composite version of the Adams yarns as told by Adams and Brewer, balling up all the differences and punting so he'd have a good story. He succeeded. But in doing so there's no telling how many treasure hunters were led astray after 1928 by believing the Dobie book was something other than a work of fiction. Historical fiction.

I believe John Brewer's story as told for the first time in the El Paso Herald in 1928, Nana's story as told to Street (Street's position at Ojo Caliente at the right time to support the story is well documented, including a Land Office description of his home and store), and Jacob Snively are the keys to the location of the Adams, provided it actually exists.

I believe there are good, understandable reasons Adams never named the German and went to some lengths to avoid doing so. One of those reasons was Jack Swilling.

I believe the reason the Adams wasn't found during those years when the heavy searching was going on was fairly simple: John Brewer's story hadn't been published and it wasn't even known by the majority of the searchers. If it had been that country west of Pueblo Arieto would have had every inch explored at a time when New Mexico was packed to the gills with prospector/miners who knew the trade.

Best to you,
Jack

kam1

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Curly, I don't yet have any information that you probably don't already have, but I am very interested in Ben Sublett's lost mine in West Texas, and would appreciate the opportunity to share information and help track this down. I am just getting started, and still have a lot to learn, but I do have a few resources, insight, and ideas regarding this area that might come in handy...

Do you know anything about Desert Eagle's 1999 post which seemed to suggest that he might have already located this mine?

Thanks,
KAM1

OP
OP
C

curly

Greenie
Sep 13, 2003
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update : Apache Gold Mine

Curly here...thanks for everyone's information. Mr. Purcell, you certainly have the experience and books to prove some knowledge of this subject. I appreciate your input. Its true, that allot of information Dobie and so many other "soothsayers" and writers and story-tellers have given us over the years are based on so many things other than the truth. Thats the whole challenge, right...separating truth from fiction, and thus we are all here on this forum. So lets all try and exchange some truths and prove that they are true as best we can. Thats all we can do....if we want to find gold. Everyone agree? To do that we have to dissect the truth from what we have and throw out the rest, and as Sherlock Holmes has said (fictional character, mind you), whatever is left, no matter how impossible, must be the truth!

Now for some interesting truths. Im going to go out on a limb and share a piece of the puzzle Im solving from my resarch....and I believe its key.

Yes, Jacob Snively was absolutely the German in the Adams tale. Ive done some research on this man's life, and there are many things that prove that. There are alllot things people dont know about him, that make him a HUGE part of the solution to the mystery of the Adams Tale, and in addition, a Lost Apache Gold Mine. I will try and state a few broad things about him, and show you that where he looked for this gold following his stint with Adams was no where NEAR New Mexico or Arizona!

First, another intersting fact.....Brewer himeself was found half alive and nursed back to health along the Rio Grande, possibly in Texas. Read about his travels after the Adams massacre and you will find that an intersting fact.

Many people also dont know that the number one reason the Adams mine is lost is that there were TWO ADAMS....thats right, two tales of gold. One actually took place and was associated with Fort Union and New Mexico and gold in the White Mountains. Thats where most people look....western New Mexico and Eastern Arizona.....but that tale is far different, and has NOTHING to do with the Arizona Adams. That is the failure of books like "Four Days from Fort Wingate".....its based on the wrong information....wrong person. That tale has confused the Pima Indian Adams since the beginning and its why its still lost. The actual travels by Adams and where he went had NOTHING to do with those parts of New Mexico or Arizona....as has been shown, he had come from California to Arizona, and had no knowledge of that region....and even direction of the sun....nor distance travelled. People continue to take the other Adam's gold adventures in New Mexico, the Mogollons, and White Mountains, and confuse that with another man totally unfamiliar with southern Arizona and southern NEw MExico, who was led blindly travelling through a desolute desert and wide open country almost devoid of landmarks (southern New Mexico), a civil war era wilderness state, with little or no landmarks, towns, or active forts to guide him.

Another piece of data I found....In the last years of the civil war in Texas, the remnants of the confederates were fleeing New Mexcio and retreating into Texas. Allot of forts were burned and abondoned...only a few remained. I have information by remnants of a group of these men at Fort Davis in West Texas that claimed to have seem men arrive in that deserted battle post in 1864 with gold to trade? What, gold in Texas? Where did they get that gold, if thats true....

Now to Geronimo......its absolutely true...how much do we really know about him, his motives, what he said? He wasnt around when Adams was digging up gold in a lost canyon of the west. However,his peer, Nana was, and ALL Apaches of the Warm Springs, Chiricahua, and Mescalero groups knew about this placer mine. So, Geronimo knew about this place. They gave it a name, and it was Sno-ta-hay ("just laying around"). If what an army officer at Fort Sills was quoted as hearing Geronimo say, that the richest Gold Mine in the western world lay in the Guadalupe Mts, could that be true? Sure, he could have lied, but I dont think Geronimo was a lier....as are few Native Americans I know.......

Snively, the so-called German that so many people claim to be the lost German of the Adams tales, was most likely the man. The other candidate would be another famous prospector who died in Phoenix.....thats all I will say on that. But Snively's history is quite miraculous....did you know he was in Texas prior to his appearance in Arizona in 1864? Did you know he was a politician here in Texas on some level and rubbed shoulders with some famous people here in the 1850's and 60's? Did you know its historical fact that in 1865 he returned here to Texas from the west with tales of a rich gold mine that he loacted in TEXAS! Thats right, the gold mine (Adams mine) he claimed he got from a dying soldier, but was that a cover for his personal involvement? What he did claim was that the gold was in a range of mountains near a fort in Texas. He actually came to Georgetown, Texas and Austin with this news and met up with numerous friends and managed to get together a party of over 100 gold-hungry weathly and infuential and political hob-knobs to lead them across the barren Comanche-infested waterless wastes of west Texas not once but twice in 1866 and 1867! After the first failed attempt due to Indians he returned with a large band and ended up, to make a long story short, at the remnants of an old army post near the Rio Grande in Texas hiking over the barren Eagle Mts day after day with his infamous group looking for his gold mine....that he claimed was there! What mountain or landmark led him there? He called the Mts the gold mountains the Sierra Nevadas, after the great 1849 rush. None the less, he never found the mine and his group in 1867 broke up disillusioned and angry. Snively returned to various parts of western NM to find other claims, but like Adams, was totally disoriented and disheartened by loss of that mine. He died in Arizona in the 1870's.

Could this be the same man Adams described as the gold-hungry German who left the group with gold before the massacre? Very likely it is....the level of excitement and search party he gathered in Texas in 1865 proves that. Even if he wasnt, his claim of hearing the tale and seeing the gold in the hands of a dyingh soldier certainly could have been one of Adams group. The question now is....Adams sought his gold all over New Mexico....Snively in western Texas. Isnt that interesting? It shows that that this mine was first of all REAL...and history proves that. Second, that two men from two completely separate backgrounds looked in two separate parts of the country for this mine. Im convinced Snively, if he was that German, was the only member of the Adams group to leave sane and his passion to find and locate this mine in Texas has bearing on the solution to this mystery....and of course, the greatest treasure of all time....the Lost Apache Gold Mine! The two are one and the same....but I'll leave that for another discussion. Thats all I will say....go back and read about Snively....Geronimo, Nana, Adams (the right one), and all the others and see if that twists your facts towards the impossible....that the Adam's mine was possibly in Texas (as Dobie has mentioned in his book), and so we come full circle. Was Dobie right?

...the ghost of Dobie lives on....

Curly

Also, did you

OP
OP
C

curly

Greenie
Sep 13, 2003
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to entice you guys to share some of your treasure clues with everyone, Im going to share one last item....

I have in my files the actual directions to the Lost Apache Gold Mine as handed down by the Mescalero Apache Indians sometime in the turn of the century. I will only say I gleamed this from a publication that got it from another newspaper article in 1912. What the clues describe is the state its located in, the mountains (who's appearance match the Adams tale landmark exactly), and other features the Indians used to physically find the mine when in the vicinity of it. Apparently they didnt go there often as its in a very barren and waterless hot desert! The man who claimed to have gotten these clues thought for sure he would find it but after years of searching, so well hidden and concealed was the mine, he did not find it, and gave up after two years of a fruitless search. When I analyzed these clues, they fit with other I had pieced together, so I believed they were correct. Some of them use Indian terms as well, and one description does match Adams early description of the area. The illusion of those clues is they are so accurate one would think you can walk up to the mine itself....until you see how vast the desert is in that area and how small the mine is. Another man heard the same tale and after many years of searching, put the correct clues together and lived to find it (so I know it was not buried, as some Native Americans claim). Piecing the clues together and quite a few maps, you can actually locate all the clues, just as the Indians described. The Indian clues are incredibly accurate, but even so, like I said, being such a vast desert area, its difficult to narrow this mine down to within a quarter mile, as the mine is actually tiny hole or crevace in the ground, as the indians described climbing down into it (with much fear, by the way). Then I stumbled on the clue which broke the mystery and narrowed down the location for me.....I found an article of a family that lived by a certain spring near the area that knew of the white man and the canyon he travelled up to get his gold. That tale has allowed me to place the final piece into the puzzle, and using arials one can now see what I believe is the mine. Numerous trails of all kinds can be see going to this sink and it matches the indian clues, directions, and this last clue which was crucial, exactly. I hope to actually take a look first hand. But if that trail leads nowhere, the excitement of getting to solve some aspects of the mystery are in evidence before me in history books and now in a physical location. I hope everyone who searches for treasure will open up that possibility on this site and share more their clues and discoveries. Together we can solve these things....and some of them are not fiction, but REAL!

Curly

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in any information on the Ben Sublett gold mine if anyone is willing to share. I have some information on that area and might be able to put some pieces together.

CPT Bill.....I emailed you reference the Caballo Mts in NM. Still interested? I have a Whites TM 808 2-box metal detector if you have a location.

Thanks to all in advance!!!

DL7

S

scorpion

Hello,

Yes i believe my partner and i are on the lost Apache Mine. We have sent in samples and so far so good.

curly said:

Lost Apache Gold Mine
Guadalupe Gold Mine
Geronimo's Gold Mine
Adam's Diggings
Thorpe Mine
Shaeffer Diggings

---Curly

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still interested in doing some NM Spanish/Indian/Outlaw treasure hunting.

DL7

S

scorpion

Thanks for the warm welcome ;D

Curly i will have to say you are right about the apache mine in Texas ;D My partner and i have secured over 742 acres which was first with Dr. McCall then transfered to a man that took care of him the last 10 years of his life. We cored 100' and have had great results from 4 essay companies. It is also in west texas at the Rio Grande very close to a creek and about 1 mile south of where the Apache called home in a canyon. One entrance and one exit cave we have located and both have been back filled. We had an arial with a mag done which shows cavities aprox. 33 meters down. I myself explored the one cave and it was unbelievable. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread