What's new

Apush--When I retire: What will you do?

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their dream retirement. Here is mine in about 15 years:

Buy a beach home in Galveston. Metal detect everyday while Mr. Apush sits on the balcony of our home watching me while he drinks his Bud Light. He is fine with my MDing as long as he can see me. :laughing9: He always thinks someone is going to get me (LOL). With my big principal mouth--they would throw me back real quick. :) Trust me I have one--or I could not deal with teenagers (and parents of teenagers) everyday.

Then, in the afternoon at least once a week, pick up our 10 boxes of halves--we go to town to pick up food, beer--you know the essentials--and then commence to going thru our boxes to find silver. Geez--I know I am dreaming big time. But I am saving dollars and cents to see this dream come true.

Oh, the life . . . and of course, the grandkids on the beach having a blast building sand castles and looking for shells. Then, read a few good books with my Modelo in hand in the sunshine.

Again, Oh the life! Retire--Metal Detect--CRH--and grandkids.

Can't get much better!

Do you guys see more CRH in your retirement, too? Just wondering.

apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
Apush , I think I've finally figured out what I like best about you - You are a dreamer !!! Oh yes,
I know , because I too am a dreamer - mine would be situated in Colorado , most likely near
Ouray , or Aspen/Glenwood Springs - like you I would have the halves pickup once or twice a
week . Loads of metal detecting , gold panning/ sluicing , mountains of great books - both
murder mysteries , and classics of English and american literature . Excellent guitars and a full
wet bar , with a heavy emphasis on single malt scotch whiskies , the occasional cigar - would be
available to accompany the scotch . To your dream come true ! Argentium.
 
Mine is buying a motor home. Traveling, hitting every bank between here and there, and ending up at a lake to water hunt.......
Wishful thinking, but we are supposed to close on the motor home THURSDAY. HH Gayle
 
Oh Gayle, I hope you get that motorhome!!! What a thrill that would be. I cannot imagine the fun you would have traveling everywhere throught the U.S.
I am so old that I would want one of those cheapy "spoons" everyone collected in the old days from every state. LOL.

Argentium--you are my man. I love the classics--my fav is The Divine Comedy! with, of course, a beer in hand. Okay, I will admit it--I also like Stephen King.

Yes, I know we all dream. I would love to be wealthy enough that a bank would deliver my boxes of halves to my door step then another one pick up the dumps--from another District--of course (got that advice from an expert on this forum).

apush :read2:--I know this is silly, but what the heck! In America, we can have dreams.
 
I too must confess Mrs. Apush , I have enjoyed a few Steven King novels myself - ha !
Argentium. (guilty pleasures , "fie on virtue fie " ! )
 
I'm living the dream right now. Sold my business, home, boat and toys then bought a mini semi truck and a 38 ft 5th wheel trailer and hit the road. Traveled 8 years and just bought a house that they were giving away(foreclosed). Will still travel during the summer and sit here for the winter. There is much to see and do in this beautiful country. I've detected in small towns, lakes, parks, oceans and just about every rv park we have stayed in for the past years. Tenters loose a lot of stuff!! I was 53 when we hit the road and have had a blast. Decided to travel while we were still healthy and could. Don't let time ruin your goal, go while you can still enjoy the trip.
 
It sounds as though you all have it figured out. I hope it goes as planned. As for me only 34 more years to go........
 
Hey Apush and the rest you of here,
You've got the dream and it will happen for you. I retired in Feb. 1997 and then
did contract work for another 10 years. Finally called it quits last October and now
just hang around with my wife and two children aged 21 and 19. They are still at
home and commute to college. And...of course, "Riley". I CRH most days with "Riley",
take him to the dog park and then just enjoy life on my large deck with a good bottle
of wine and fine cigars. I learned a long time ago in Vietnam that "Life is not a dress
rehearsal". Back then I never thought I'd ever see my 25th birthday. The rest is
history and I'm very happy for everyday I'm still breathing. Sounds like you all have the
same dreams I had. Nuff said.....time to get out there and have a little fun finding some
silver.
HH
rileyboy
 
Besides pulling my pants up to just below my chesty and complaining about the government full time? Travel and fishing with a little hunting thrown in for good measure. CRHing road trips every other week or so, fishing gear can be expensive!

Oh yeah I like Stephen King too. But I think his older stuff is much better than what he's coming out with now.
 
apush said:
Everyone has their dream retirement. Here is mine in about 15 years:

Buy a beach home in Galveston. Metal detect everyday while Mr. Apush sits on the balcony of our home watching me while he drinks his Bud Light. He is fine with my MDing as long as he can see me. :laughing9: He always thinks someone is going to get me (LOL). With my big principal mouth--they would throw me back real quick. :) Trust me I have one--or I could not deal with teenagers (and parents of teenagers) everyday.

Then, in the afternoon at least once a week, pick up our 10 boxes of halves--we go to town to pick up food, beer--you know the essentials--and then commence to going thru our boxes to find silver. Geez--I know I am dreaming big time. But I am saving dollars and cents to see this dream come true.

Oh, the life . . . and of course, the grandkids on the beach having a blast building sand castles and looking for shells. Then, read a few good books with my Modelo in hand in the sunshine.

Again, Oh the life! Retire--Metal Detect--CRH--and grandkids.

Can't get much better!

Do you guys see more CRH in your retirement, too? Just wondering.

apush :read2:

Haha...Wow..Im only 31 and i have the Same Dreams...Just back in Florida :icon_sunny:
 
My two views on retirement....

Glass half empty: With the economic depression vortex we are facing now, I dont think I will ever be able to retire. I can only hope my gold and silver hoard get me through.

Glass half full: Travel around the US in an RV taking in all the beautiful sights of this country, scuba dive more with my wife, learn to metal detect, fish the oceans and northern lakes more, and spend time with my kids and grandkids.
 
A longtime dream of mine was to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail but i don't think that will go over well with my wife. I've walked sections in Pa, and NJ and the last 20 miles down near blood mountain GA.
Other then that,we would buy a small camper and just explore the countryside. My parents did that yearly when they retired and one of their last trips was in the area of 20,000/30,000 miles total. They always took lots of video to show us when they got back. And of course pack the detectors(just in case) :)
 
mountainman 2 said:
A longtime dream of mine was to hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail but i don't think that will go over well with my wife. I've walked sections in Pa, and NJ and the last 20 miles down near blood mountain GA.
Other then that,we would buy a small camper and just explore the countryside. My parents did that yearly when they retired and one of their last trips was in the area of 20,000/30,000 miles total. They always took lots of video to show us when they got back. And of course pack the detectors(just in case) :)

MM, I also have dreamed of doing the AT. I have completed the GA section but I fear before I have time to retire, I will be in too bad of shape with the old knees to make the entire trek.
 
I'm so busy most of the time that I don't even think about retirement (39 years down the road). I just hope work doesn't kill me and I'm alive by that time.
 
Apush, live your dream as soon as you can the money thing helps, But it's your health that is the important thing I,m sure you know your life can change in a second. I retired early in some peoples book and sinse then have lost 5 of my closet buds. Working only 100 days a year for over 35 years played a toll on us. we worked 24hrs at a time. Anyway still liven the dream your wishing for. stay healthy.
 
Oh yeah I like Stephen King too. But I think his older stuff is much better than what he's coming out with now.
truer words have never been said. i was a big King fan, then he got hit by that car and couldn't finish any of his books since. except this summer i read "the Dome" and it was like i had my old friend back again.
sorry for the hijack.
as far as retirement....i had a dream of traveling the country for awhile and then summer at the shore and winters at the mountains. we can only dream.
 
My dream is to make it to retire have been with publix supermarkets for thirty years and I'm only forty six got sick about five years ago they didn't think i would make it but here I'm to prove them all wrong i spend as much time as i can with my sons 9 and 12 we go camping and fishing and any thing outdoors have had a great life have a great wife to spend my life with we are planing to travel all over Europe and yes my MD will be with me . Life is about our families and friends and our dreams i thank GOD everday for letting me to have one more day on the this ride through life my all your dreams come true . Happy Hunting to all Ron
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom