Aquired another one, Is this one authentic?

pawnman

Greenie
Apr 23, 2010
palm beach gardens
Detector(s) used
minelab

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 607
Potosi mint, denomination appears to read "VIII" denoting 8 Reales (size/spacing of detail looks to back that up)... Assayer B, "5th Period, border of X's" (note the distinct border ring of XXXXXX between the inner design and the legend). Dates for assayer B's 5th period are generally given as 1596-1605.

Nothing looks alarming from the pics concerning authenticity (though the pics aren't extremely detailed)... Piece appears to have porosity consistent with moderate sea-wear. What's the weight down to... about 21g or so?

Depending on your lighting, looks to have decent patina left on it post-conservation... Some mild cross-side doubling (note - your reverse should be rotated 90 deg. counter-clockwise for proper alignment). Overall, fairly respectable piece, obviously not amazing due to the corrosion but not completely horrendous either. Eh... maybe $90-120 or so, "sensible" market value (assuming it's authentic in hand)?

pawnman said:
I purchased another cob at the swap shop down south last week. I am hoping this is my diamond in the rough. I appreciate all of the info this forum provides and hopefully you guys are going to tell me if this is the one! As always thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Great info thank you so much. It appears, I finally got a real one. My next hurdle is to actually find one with my minelab.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back