My first cob!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to Iron Patch on the What is it? forum for IDing this piece as a Spanish Cob. I went out early this morning before the sunrise to try my luck in the new year. Low and behold I had a bit of luck right off the bat. First coin I dug in 2012 was this little 1/2 reale cob. Couldn't believe that this was the first coin of the year. What a way to start! Couldn't be much happier right now! ;D

Happy Hunting and Happy New Year!!!

-Nate

Attachments

• 01-01-12silver.jpg
    01-01-12silver.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 581
  • 01-01-12silver.jpg
    01-01-12silver.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 586
Can anyone see enough detail on the cob to give me a decent guess as to how old it is? Thanks in advance!

Diver_Down said:
I can't pinpoint the period, but I can state the obvious of being minted in Mexico City.

Forgive my lack of proficiency on the subject, but how do you know that for sure? Is there a good website that you know of where I can learn a bit about these cobs? Maybe a good one that will help me ID them in the future should I find any more? Thanks!

The spheres at the end of the cross is unique to Mexico City. I'll try and decipher what there is on the back, but 1/2 reales aren't my thing. I don't think there will be enough on the back to help.

Diver_Down said:
The spheres at the end of the cross is unique to Mexico City. I'll try and decipher what there is on the back, but 1/2 reales aren't my thing. I don't think there will be enough on the back to help.

Great! Thank you! :)

To amplify what Diver__Down stated (and quoting from Sedwick --Second Edition): "... beginning around 1572 the silver cobs of Mexico always have what was originally intended to be a fleur-de-lis and developed into a globe or sphere sprounting from each of the four extremities of the cross; and this makes Mexican silver cobs of all denominations easy to distinquish from the silver cobs of all other mints......."

See the combined rotated pic below showing proper alignment... What you're seeing on the monogram side is most of the "C" and a slight outline of the left stalk of "A" from Charles II's (aka Carolvs, as rendered in Latin) monogram. Above that is the bottom part of the crown. To the left, we see the Mo mintmark (slightly obscured), and a fairly clear L assayer mark, which narrows it down slightly to approx. 1677-1700. Typical off-centered strike for this period...

Attachments

• CARhalfR.jpg
    CARhalfR.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 605
realeswatcher said:
See the combined rotated pic below showing proper alignment... What you're seeing on the monogram side is most of the "C" and a slight outline of the left stalk of "A" from Charles II's (aka Carolvs, as rendered in Latin) monogram. Above that is the bottom part of the crown. To the left, we see the Mo mintmark (slightly obscured), and a fairly clear L assayer mark, which narrows it down slightly to approx. 1677-1700. Typical off-centered strike for this period...

Wow! Thanks for all that information! I really appreciate the help. I've got a new interest in old spanish coinage!

dirtdigger1581 said:
Is there a good website that you know of where I can learn a bit about these cobs? Maybe a good one that will help me ID them in the future should I find any more? Thanks!

Besides this site check out Colonial Cobs: http://www.colonialcobs.com/forum/index.php

Stan

Just out of curiousity, what would something like that be worth?????

I'm planning a ttrip to find a few of those myself...... They would have to be worth alot to get rid of.... The fact that you salvaged something that has been swaying on the ocean bottom for 300 yrs, wow, i want some of those......

Great find.....

I didnt know there were doubloon hunters in the Korean DPR. Cant really imagin someone walking on a beach there with a metal detector, but stranger things happen, I guess. Learn something new every day! Welcome to treasure hunting.

Wow,nice cob,that's on my wish list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back