Not Sure - Need Help With ID

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just recently purchased this piece, have not received it yet (pictures are the auction ones) It was listed as a copper pence. I am not sure what it is but it looks more like a cob or Spanish colonial than a pence to me. I'm hoping this is real however I purchased it with the thought in mind it may not be. All help is appreciated.....Thanks

Attachments

• Cross 1.JPG
    Cross 1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 290
  • Cross 2.JPG
    Cross 2.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 303
Thanks guys, I figured it might be, not much of a gamble though, $13.50.

Poorly executed Potosi mint fantasy piece. I see assayer initial V showing, so probably meant to depict late 1600's coin (can't make out the date). Probably made from pewter or other low grade metal. What is the approximate size and weight?

Stan

Let's come to a consensus on this "cob". It is phoney, baloney. Pure fantasy, imagination...

Don says Mexico. Indeed the cross side has the faint balls on the end of the cross which is a tell-tale indicator of Mexico.

Stan says Potosi. Indeed the pillar side doesn't show the mintmark, but the waves Rise up between the pillars. Remember Lima is Lower than Potosi.

So for about $14, you got a 2-for-1 deal.

Mackaydon said:
And, if given to a youngster, especially today, with a good pirate/galleon story, it would make a great gift.
Merry Christmas,
Don.....

... And if TNet is still around in 20 years, the youngster could ask the collective braintrust about a "cob" that was given to him as a gift 20 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back