What's new

ARA Gold Recyclers

Goldinwater

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
297
Reaction score
70
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hurst,Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingwray,Cz20, Excaliber, Spectrum xlt, Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a check back from ARA and only got 95 percent of spot, they say this is all you will get now unless you provide a tax #
 
Upvote 0
I'd take less to keep the tax man away.
 
DewGuru said:
I'd take less to keep the tax man away.

:thumbsup: Wonder how long it will be before it's not possible anymore?
 
My check was lower than I expected too and I was wondering why. I wonder if that includes the 2% they take off as well? They were supposed to call me back and discuss it with me but never did and then I went into the hospital and just forgot about it. That just doesn't seem fair to me and they had such great recommendations for the guys on t-net. Oh well I guess nothing lasts for long.
 
bigscoop said:
DewGuru said:
I'd take less to keep the tax man away.

:thumbsup: Wonder how long it will be before it's not possible anymore?

That all depends on Comrade Osama Obama.
 
You have to test each piece yourself with a gold test kit. We can't trust the stamp inside and they are allowed to stamp it half a karet more than it really is. Accurate weight and calculations are necessary for each piece. On top of this the price of spot might go down or up on the day they weigh it. Either way it is more more than what Midwest pays and way, way more than what these "cash for gold" crooks offer. ARA also sends back anything that isn't gold and all your stones, unlike Midwest. Some of these Italian chains only have 14 kt. clasps and the rest is gold plated.
 
so do you have to fill out the form to send stuff in or can you do it wout like we used to .
 
I just put a batch in the mail yesterday. I will post my results when I get my settlement. I am still happy with 95%.

Aaron
 
Your receipts tells you exactly what you were paid and for how much. Mine was broken down into 4 batches the last time.... gold jewelry, silver coins, silver jewelry and silver rounds of .999. As far as what they pay you .... silver payment is based on the day they receive its melt value, gold you have an option. They will hold it until you tell them to cash it in. Ive had great dealings with them. Im sure with all the countries economy issues you can see changes to their policies.... Uncle Sugar wants his. At least we arent left to the rip offs buying gold.... YET. If it comes to that we are in trouble. I still have my doubts about all the items we send being melted with many having far more value than melt.... but they have an outlet we dont and its free mad money. I hope they arent starting to get greedy in expectation of a great increase in gold.

Dew
 
Remember most earrings are marked on the post. This means most of the time ONLY the post is gold. The rest of the earring is normaly junk or just plated.
 
...so they cut 3% unless you submit a tax#....does that mean you've been sending too much in and they assume you will continue sending more in such as a business? I wonder :icon_scratch:

If you submit a tax #, they will pay you the 98%, than Uncle Sam is going to tax you on it as income.....

I wonder if they're having a lot of stuff being mailed in to them by detectorists and thinking this is an "income" source that they and Uncle S can capitalize on....

I've actually found a nice little jeweler that paid me just a bit over spot the last two times I cashed in (NOT A CASH FOR GOLD). Looked like a Ma & Pa jewelry store. I had to double check my numbers I had written down in my pocket to see if I had calculated something wrong.... After I checked "my" numbers, both times they came back and even offered me a little extra. "I'll take it!"

I think it's worth checking out some of these Ma & Pa shops.... I don't think they were current on their spot price. Oh well, whatever it's worth to them, I'm happy.
 
Just some thoughts!

I have a friend that sware's that the IRS checked out his posts on facebook prior to his audit. He was posting on a FB page that used his full name and state and he said during an audit he was asked several times if he had a HOBBY that he made money at. Not anything else just hobby. Now he's a very good hunter pulling lots of gold (6+ oz),and like many the clad adds up to over 1000 dollars each year. While the clad is earned income the precious metals are NOT! That is till you sell them for green backs then it is. I advice everyone to make a friend that gives a good fair price as compared to all these other entities. I have one that pays around 95% cash on the spot no waiting. I check my own gold content and we have been dealing for years we have built trust. And I am always quick to remember that its 95% of what I didn't have anyway is good with me. As to the other info becareful where you post, I have seen fellowworkers fired for posting on FB when the should be working, some for what they posted.So why wouldn't the IRS check to see what you put on public record?
JMHO steve
 
I'm looking at my receipt from ARA dated 11/29/2011 and it has PAYOUT 98% .

And they don't have my tax #... ???

Joe
 
DewGuru said:
bigscoop said:
DewGuru said:
I'd take less to keep the tax man away.

:thumbsup: Wonder how long it will be before it's not possible anymore?

That all depends on Comrade Osama Obama.

Yeah, we should all vote for the Vulture Venture Capitalist, Romney
 
I was walking by a cash for gold place kiosk in the mall today and I heard them offer a lady $484 for her gold. I just said I'll give you $550 without even looking at it, meet me outside. She grabbed her stuff and I got 1.5 ounces of 18k (I tested). :icon_pirat:

Never did anything like that before I just happened to have the cash. Right place right time.
 
Yeah, we should all vote for the Vulture Venture Capitalist, Romney


Or the LIFETIME POLATICION Newt Gingritch ?
As this man has made a lifetime fortune from us the taxpayer.
 
DrJoePrime said:
I'm looking at my receipt from ARA dated 11/29/2011 and it has PAYOUT 98% .

And they don't have my tax #... ???
Joe I forgot say the 95 percent and tax deal only started on 1/ 1/ 12
Joeto say
 
47thelement said:
I was walking by a cash for gold place kiosk in the mall today and I heard them offer a lady $484 for her gold. I just said I'll give you $550 without even looking at it, meet me outside. She grabbed her stuff and I got 1.5 ounces of 18k (I tested). :icon_pirat:

Never did anything like that before I just happened to have the cash. Right place right time.

Ye b a fool not to do it agin, Be'n a real pirate without even swigin a blade or a detector sounds goods to me, thrice thy money is a good investment anytime! Keep up the good work and you didn't hose the donor like the kiosk was gonna so ya done a good deed!
 
The People in the mall will give you about 40 % They are a huge rip-off!!!
 
I just spotted an add in a local news paper;
Wanted to buy your gold and silver jewelry for our resale store,
will pay over spot and then some for quality items.
So from now on I will hit the small antique and jewelry shops first. Send in the junk that no one wants.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom