What's new

Archaic or earlier?

TheTh3rd

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2014
Messages
349
Reaction score
137
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd to last pic looks like a cardinal head:)
uploadfromtaptalk1424449448290.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449464947.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449494414.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449516204.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449528302.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449537932.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449556873.webp
uploadfromtaptalk1424449581293.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks like you have some pretty decent flint- and maybe a worked piece or two. But the fact that you've got flint is a good sign if nothing else. That one piece that's alone on white...maybe. Hard to tell from the pics. The striped pieces look to be bits of brick. If there are particular pieces you want an opinion of, you'll need to take closer, sharper pics. It's hard, but if you use macro (tulip icon) it'll help a lot.
Keep in mind too that you're looking through a pile of stuff your g-pa moved, so there are bound to be a bunch of broken pieces due to the machinery be it plow or back-hoe or whatever. If I were you, I'd keep looking at the flint and chert- the black material you've found. And once the ground is thawed out and you can hunt a field or creek nearby (if there is one) you'll have better luck.
Ive spent ab 2 hrs looking through books and credible websites and its very similar to the Paleo finds in Texas of a "tool kit"
a62c49a21824d7d7d49e8a21d3f27e3e.jpg
 
I don't think so, but I would have to defer to someone more knowledgeable about the area your hunting.
 
I don't think so, but I would have to defer to someone more knowledgeable about the area your hunting.
Look at the top row from the site in tx.. I cropped mine in for comparison
9acd909dcf2354d9ba03b2c741466273.jpg
 
The shape is similar but I just don't see signs of it being worked... Although I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time!
 
Keep looking everything you found has been natural imo even your so called egg stone
 
Keep looking everything you found has been natural imo even your so called egg stone
The egg stone is a bit of a mystery. I just returned from meeting with a geo-archaeological professor and while he did agree that it resembles a grinding tool-he also said it was rather small.
The mystery is that he is 100% certain that the type of rock is NOT found anywhere in my area
 
Greetings! I agree w/ Johnny that although the shape is right, I see no marked of having been worked- on you very close-up white piece.
Now, keep in mind that there certainly was a lot of trade as far as stone/ workable lithic. It does not mean that what you find- of that 'imported' stone is in fact an artifact. What it is, perhaps, is a piece of evidence. And that's a good thing! It means that you can keep looking for that material to see if there are in fact artifacts made of it. Something to keep your eye out for. Good for you to do some good research. It's always helpful to get opinions of pros and folks well-versed in both the geology and archaeology of your area.
Again, I think once things thaw out a bit, you'll have the opportunity to really hunt your place- with fresh eyes and a better understanding of what you're looking for and how to spot it! HH!
 
Thanks Yakker, I wish I knew what my area(the water level)looked like in prehistoric times because the professor said I should find numerous fossils and bone. Im having a hard time understanding how a bone can completly change into a rock due to the organic matter in the area..... and my property is rich in iron.

On a side note: What is your knowledge on prehistoric paint mines? Ive been "digging" no pun intended, through books, and although its only my theory I believe that I might be sitting on a red ochre paint mine.... but its only a speculation
 
Thanks Yakker, I wish I knew what my area(the water level)looked like in prehistoric times because the professor said I should find numerous fossils and bone. Im having a hard time understanding how a bone can completly change into a rock due to the organic matter in the area..... and my property is rich in iron.

On a side note: What is your knowledge on prehistoric paint mines? Ive been "digging" no pun intended, through books, and although its only my theory I believe that I might be sitting on a red ochre paint mine.... but its only a speculation


take a few pix of the area and what you mean
 
I have never heard of a 'paint mine'. Yes there are paint stones- typically red/ochre. But I've never heard of a paint mine. I did a really easy google search to clarify what happens when a bone becomes a fossil - so here's your page. Fossilization, How Do Fossils Form (it's explained better than I ever could)
 
I have seen places in CA where you can dig veins of red ochre out of the hill side in big chunks of bright orange/red (almost clay) "rocks"
 
Wow thanks again yall...
Uncle, I dont have a good pic but I tried to circle the area ive been digging.
8ef218df9a927592b55a3ee75893b2c5.jpg

9407828f0bfe3ca5b866541b4b1b720c.jpg

a7f9d2e8e0b1a9b2ed00629b286586c4.jpg
 
your stream looks like a Japanese garden! very cool
 
..and if I find it pleasant today...others would have hundreds of years ago
 
Thanks, it took alot of work. I started cleaning it up periodically a little over a year ago. Thats also when I started researching the history of that area.
Im 28 now, but up until I was 12 the whole family would grill out every Thursday night....depending on the weather.
That spring is the only reason my grandpa purchased the land :)
 
Any idea if this bone is human
1f875bf6c1a93b01f76cf1689046e5b7.jpg
 
Can't even say if it's a bone, much less human. Good info on this thread though. Kudos to calgarychef for mentioning the freeze/thaw cycle. We did some experiments with that on Oglalla quartz cobbles and mother nature can fool you. Also prairie fires, which used to be the norm, had an effect on certain rocks that might make you think they were altered by man. And as always 'fits perfectly in the hand' means absolutely nothing.
 
Thanks, it took alot of work. I started cleaning it up periodically a little over a year ago. Thats also when I started researching the history of that area.
Im 28 now, but up until I was 12 the whole family would grill out every Thursday night....depending on the weather.
That spring is the only reason my grandpa purchased the land :)


how much land...? you need to shift around a little to find a hot spot....have you walked the creek much?
 
The "bone" looks to be natural type of ore. Like iron ore
 
Sorry, but everything you posted in a natural rock that has either been battered in a creek by tumbling or in a field by banging with other stones. Nothing you posted has been altered by man.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom