What's new

Are freshly turned over fields really that good?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2017
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
4,595
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So are ploughed fields really as advertised or is it mostly hype? Anyone have better than average results from these fields? Got a couple permissions to hunt right after they turn these fields over. Both spots are 1800's farms.
 
freshly churned up finds and potentially easier digging would be my guesses.
 
If the farms are still standing, and there was not another house in the fields, and all that happened is farming... then generally they aren't great. The farm fields that are productive are the ones that had houses that are long gone and you can hunt where the house was and all around it. Sure you can do that for an old farm that's still around, but there tends to be a lot more trash to deal with.
 
The admonition to hunt random furrowed ag fields, is probably more geared to Europe (like Britain) than the USA. Over in European fields, it's not uncommon that an ag. field could've seen contiaul cultivation for 1000 or 2000 yrs. Hence, yes, they can waltz out to ANY random cultivated field, and eventually find coins.

Not so in the USA. Our history is just too young to make that strategy worthwhile You'd need to substantiate that something else went on in the field in question. Eg.: an old homestead or camp or stage stop or something.

The mere fact that someone farmed potatoes or wheat or corn there "since the 1800s" will not bode much fumble fingers losses, to make it worthwhile, IMHO. Oh sure, if you wander it long enough, perhaps the harvester in the 1880s lost an IH or something. But you're much better off going where there was known concentrations of activity, IMHO.
 
There's a spot here in CA where a little village of sorts existed from the late 1790s to the 1820's. Then abandoned. It was just cattle land till the 1910's or so. And has been row crops ever since. We go there to hunt, looking, obviously for the reales and buttons of the 1790s to 1820s era.

But sure, now and then a clad coin, a few wheat pennies, and one time a silver washington quarter pop up (nuisance finds that get in the way of our real objectives, haha). Hence, sure, there are random field-worker losses. But it occurred to me one day, as i reflected back on years of hunting this field, and countless hours spent: If our objective had been for those "random fieldworker losses", it would never have been worth it. Just too few and far between.

I suppose on the east coast where there's 200 more years of history (all of which was during the manual cultivation, pre-mechanization era), then the odds would go up. But I'd still venture that you're better off finding spots where actual commercial activity took place, or a habitation or gathering spot was. Not just random ag. land.
 
Actually they are worse - but the process of cultivation may have moved things around enough to being targets where you have a chance.

Have you ever tried to detect in standing and tasseled corn?
 
Oh yeah, that's why I figured I'd wait for the farmers to do their thing. Come in once the foot long stalks are out of the way.
 
Let me give you my opinion. YES, a freshly plowed farm field is much more giving than an unplowed field. End of story. :skullflag:
 
YES! plowed fields can be VERY productive. But do your research FIRST to home in on the better possibilities. In the '90s, I found bricks in a just plowed field in NC. I dug a "trash" beep to find a white metal token for 5 cents from Tyner, NC. I found internet references to a local ghost town with that name. I posted the find here (when Metaldetecting.com?) with a pic. I can no longer find Tyner on the net. Recently, I learned of the possible stagecoach stop, with farrier shop, on the old road that passes through Judy's 80 acres. Murphys, CA. Mike and I detected the possible sight (next to the road) and found a couple of square nails and a mule shoe. Because of recent heavy rains, some of the old roadbed is now exposed. At my feet, in only 15 feet of roadway, I found 45 more pieces of iron stuff, including 6 horseshoes and more square nails. These were collected by sight only! We were very near the farrier shop. The adjacent meadow must have the stagecoach stop. I have received permission from the neighbor to detect the sight. I am, at this time, extending an invitation to you local relic hunters to help me find the rest of the stuff that will surely be found. If you are a responsible digger and will respect the neighbor's property, PM me and we will search when the area dries out. Yes, detecting seemingly "clean" sites can be productive but you MUST narrow your search by doing the necessary research! TTC
 
Good and bad. Potential targets can come up......and go down.
 
There's a spot here in CA where a little village of sorts existed from the late 1790s to the 1820's. Then abandoned. It was just cattle land till the 1910's or so. And has been row crops ever since. We go there to hunt, looking, obviously for the reales and buttons of the 1790s to 1820s era.

But sure, now and then a clad coin, a few wheat pennies, and one time a silver washington quarter pop up (nuisance finds that get in the way of our real objectives, haha). Hence, sure, there are random field-worker losses. But it occurred to me one day, as i reflected back on years of hunting this field, and countless hours spent: If our objective had been for those "random fieldworker losses", it would never have been worth it. Just too few and far between.

I suppose on the east coast where there's 200 more years of history (all of which was during the manual cultivation, pre-mechanization era), then the odds would go up. But I'd still venture that you're better off finding spots where actual commercial activity took place, or a habitation or gathering spot was. Not just random ag. land.
Hey Tom! The USA is relatively new but let's not forget that the western USA was also inhabited by the French (trappers), English (northwest), and Mexicans (Tejas-Texas, NM, AZ, and CA for hundreds of years). Many Towns and camps sprung up virtually overnight in CA then abandoned after the "strike" played out. As for me, the excitement of the chase (research) can be more fulfilling than the find. The obvious places have been picked over many times. It is now time for the less obvious! TTC
 
My fields suck. Town has been here since late 1700's. Unless you like digging the occasional rusty horse tack you will have to find a location where something actually happened in the past.
 
Hey Tom! The USA is relatively new but let's not forget that the western USA was also inhabited by the French (trappers), English (northwest), and Mexicans (Tejas-Texas, NM, AZ, and CA for hundreds of years). Many Towns and camps sprung up virtually overnight in CA then abandoned after the "strike" played out. As for me, the excitement of the chase (research) can be more fulfilling than the find. The obvious places have been picked over many times. It is now time for the less obvious! TTC

Terry, thanx for the 2 inputs here. In the cases you describe where cultivated ag. fields porked up productive spots, those are cases where something had been there. Sure, if someone sees crockery, brick, etc.... in furroughs, then sure, something was there. Or like as you say, if camps or traveler spots (stage stops, etc...) existed in/on what is now just ag. row crops, then sure, by all means.

But in cases like that, you're no longer talking about just "random fields". In cases like those, it's when something specific was known (or visually evident) to have gone on there.

Contrast to British hunters (and other European countries), where they really don't even need to know whether or not a villa, or trading post, or habitations, etc... were . They can simply, eventually, find random coins in ANY field. Even if it was never a market or village or post, etc..... Simply because of the 1000 to 2000 yrs. more history. Not so in the USA.
 
Ive had a lot of success hunting farm fields. Most all my success recently. They will all be planted soon and Ill have nowhere to go:(.
 
I've had more luck so far by checking big old trees in the wood line around farm fields. I assume that would be a shady place to eat lunch back in the day.
 
I've had more luck so far by checking big old trees in the wood line around farm fields. I assume that would be a shady place to eat lunch back in the day.
If given the chance, I will dig EVERY tree that has branches low enough for kids to climb on. They have done it for millennium! Also, although I cannot remember the term, many a frontier church service was held under large trees. Check out to 50 or 60 feet from the trunk. TTC
 
Terry, thanx for the 2 inputs here. In the cases you describe where cultivated ag. fields porked up productive spots, those are cases where something had been there. Sure, if someone sees crockery, brick, etc.... in furroughs, then sure, something was there. Or like as you say, if camps or traveler spots (stage stops, etc...) existed in/on what is now just ag. row crops, then sure, by all means.

But in cases like that, you're no longer talking about just "random fields". In cases like those, it's when something specific was known (or visually evident) to have gone on there.

Contrast to British hunters (and other European countries), where they really don't even need to know whether or not a villa, or trading post, or habitations, etc... were . They can simply, eventually, find random coins in ANY field. Even if it was never a market or village or post, etc..... Simply because of the 1000 to 2000 yrs. more history. Not so in the USA.
So true, so true. Actually, the farm field find was the results of pure research. It was not random. Using old platt maps and Google Earth, I deduced that the active town (I don't remember the name) I was researching should be larger than its present (then) size. I went to the site for a look-see. I found the bricks in an area I EXPECTED to find something. Searching random sites surely is a waste of time. Below Stone Mountain (Ga) is evidence of an old indian village that is thousands of years old. From the top, I was shown (by tourist guide) several fertile "rings" made by the tree trunks that formed the old dwellings. They were not noticed until relatively new residents climbed the rock and saw them. An extreme example for sure, but such gems are still waiting for those that know how and where to look. TTC
 
If given the chance, I will dig EVERY tree that has branches low enough for kids to climb on. They have done it for millennium! Also, although I cannot remember the term, many a frontier church service was held under large trees. Check out to 50 or 60 feet from the trunk. TTC
May have been called a brush arbor (meeting). TTC
 
Well let me tell you, I grew up on a farm, still own it today. Every Spring after the fields were plowed my cousins and I would have the fun job of picking rocks.
In PA at least I guess the rocks get pushed upwards by the freeze thaw cycles. Rocks that were not there last year suddenly appear this year. I used to swear that rocks were PA's winter crop.

So I would think anything buried might eventually work it's way towards the surface, and like has been said plowed earth is easier to search then hard packed earth.
 
Well let me tell you, I grew up on a farm, still own it today. Every Spring after the fields were plowed my cousins and I would have the fun job of picking rocks.
In PA at least I guess the rocks get pushed upwards by the freeze thaw cycles. Rocks that were not there last year suddenly appear this year. I used to swear that rocks were PA's winter crop.

So I would think anything buried might eventually work it's way towards the surface, and like has been said plowed earth is easier to search then hard packed earth.

That is one thing that is nice.....take my cheap harbor frieght shorty shovel and it will sink right into the earth. I just always picture the farmers from the 1800's, and I'm sure into the early 1900's on sulky plows.....

There are 4 of these in the woods not far from where I live. You can tell whoever sat on one would be leaning back. Could easily loose what was in the pockets. Especially getting on and off of them. Which I do think they had to do quite often. I'll give it an honest try, and post up any results!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom