• IMG_1272[1].JPG
    IMG_1272[1].JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1266[1].JPG
    IMG_1266[1].JPG
    736.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ones on the top which would be the bottom of your photo looks to be Obsidian, if they came from Il. that would be real rare JMO. The row 2nd from bottom of photo 7nth point from the right looks to be Paleo, in the same row #11and12 from the right looks to be Cahokia points. Nice collection, it's great they where passed on to you:thumbsup:

Very nice collection. The ones Monsterrack pointed out do look Obsidian and the smaller 2 look like points found in the Columbia River basin. Maybe some one gave them to your grandma years ago because they knew she collected points.

Welcome to the site. Nice collection

I currently live in the Rock Island, IL area and I have all of my life. I've hunted all over the area and I can assure you those materials are not consistent with what you would find in our area. They appear to be more like either southwest US or Great Basin area materials including the obsidian and some agates. The Sauk and Fox were historic tribes and these points are much older in age. The Sauk tribe was using guns and steel by the time they were named. I have some items from the alleged Saukenuk Village also known as Crawford Farm site and they were not using a lot of stone to make weapons. They were using a bit of catlinite for pipes and English and French flints for gun flints (which were trade items).

Hippy

Here is an obsidian point found in atop a mound in pike county Illinois in 1834 that I find strikingly simular to your large one in your pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140215_171309.png
    ForumRunner_20140215_171309.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 118
Very nice collection there. Cool grandma. Thanks for showing.

Very nice collection, I noticed that when you click on either of the bottom two pictures twice they appear right side up. And, when you click on them a third time you get a close up.

You are lucky to inherit her collection. It seems that maybe she not only hunted them but may have built on her collection. Not uncommon. You will get good information here and we enjoy seeing the finds. Years ago I hunted some fields and a barefoot guy always beat me to them. Very cool.

Nice collection of artifacts. Thanks for posting.

Those are not from Illinois. The Soto, Acatita, Pelona, and Redhorn (etc.) points (as well as the obsidian) are all consistent with Mexico types. Some of those pieces also appear to be rechipped, or are completely modern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back