What's new

Artifact Show report

hbrown22

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
385
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just finished checking out the Twin Lakes Indian Artifact Show in Leitchfield, KY. It was a small show, not everyone showed up and a few were packing up early. Ran from 8 am to 3 pm, we got there at 12:30 and stayed about an hour. It was still a great experience. Got to see several different tools first hand and compare them to what we thought were tools. Big difference!! I have a feeling if I have to sit and study one of my pieces to "make" it something in my mind, then it's probably just a rock. When you see these real tools, you know without a doubt. A Celt is on my "to find" list, they are beautiful! No one had pottery examples, but I was able to study holes. I did end up buying something just because it was pretty. :) I asked the lady what the material was but she didn't know and her husband was out buying tomatoes. I don't know if its anything, but I like it and worth the $10 I paid. If you know what it is or what it's made from, let me know. It's real pretty shades of red, lavender, & blue. Not sure what area it's from either. Many people, including this collector, buy collections from other people and resell what they don't want. All in all, it was interesting and an opportunity to learn. Hope the one next weekend is bigger.

image-791588419.webp



image-1664968408.webp



image-3971603072.webp
 
Upvote 0
It could be a knife blade or a preform that they did not get thur with. It nice:thumbsup:
 
That is some eye candy! When you go to the next show ask how much then add 2 or 3 to the mix and offer half of the price. They usually will add another few doallars to your asking price but it will be less that the first quote. Those prices are asking prices. Always ask if it is a ancient point also before you buy them.
Just by the pictures of the flaking which looks to be "scattered flaking" I would say Woodland period. Very colorful piece.
 
It is so much prettier in person. I believe someone looked at it then put it in the wrong box. I had it in my hand and she said $20 and I told her it was out $10 box. We did buy another small point for $5.00 and $2.00. They also had a piece of unworked horse creek chert, wish I would have got it.
 
Nice score. I have a piece from KY with similar shades of blue, I was told it might be high grade Fort Payne chert. Thanks for the view.
 
I believe Viking is right, I think it's Ft Payne. Ft Payne has a lot of variety and it often turns pinkish / purplish / reddish when heat treated.
 
How do you heat treat? I'd like to try it if its not a complicated process.

I have heard you actually bake them in the oven. There is a few that can tell you how, jon and bist know how to do it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom