What's new

Artifact??

Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
652
Reaction score
413
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Pennsylvania DSCN5222.webpDSCN5223.webpDSCN5224.webpDSCN5225.webpDSCN5226.webpDSCN5230.webpDSCN8880.webpDSCN9934.webp
 
Upvote 0
shell1.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSCN8880.webp
    DSCN8880.webp
    985.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN9934.webp
    DSCN9934.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
Sorry but from what I see it looks like a hand made mud brick, I've never seen a NA artifact that looked like that JMO.
 
Could be a old stove fire brick. would be my guess do to the curvature.
 
What about the groove in the side
 
Is there anyway to tell the difference between stone and brick
 
It can be hard to distinguish things sometimes. I have a couple boxes of "maybe" rocks. Just keep posting. There are many here with a lot of experience - I've been learning a lot from these folks.
 
So I found out that it is sandstone
 
I'm going with it is an artifact. It is sandstone and it was selected to be use for its abrasive properties. I have found them myself and the sandstone material was far from the source of which it came from with this one I found. I believe these type of artifacts are called an abrader. Here's one I found circled along with other things all found on a site here in the Rocky mountain front range and none of this material is native to the region and was not brought there by geologic forces. It was all transported there by the hand of man.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180711_081145.webp
    IMG_20180711_081145.webp
    755.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Because I found this pestle not even two feet away from the sandstone. DSCN5222.webp
 
Looks like a sharpening stone ?
 
It looked like sandstone to me. That would be a material of choice for sharpening/abrading stones, since it's like a natural sandpaper. I briefly thought this one was an old brick when I first picked it up. It's multipurpose, a whetstone surface on the side, to sharpen hardstone bits, and sharpening grooves that were maybe from sharpening bone tools.

IMG_0927.webp

IMG_0926.webp

IMG_0925.webp
 
That is a tough one. I have looked at green stone celts under a micro scope and the lines on it appear to be from a fine sand as a polish. Though sandstone is very porous it is possible they used that material to polish and hone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom