What's new

Artifacts found in our backyard/woods.

rockcrazy

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2014
Messages
23
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
portage, Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
My husbands has been looking for arrow head in southern Michigan for many years. I am a rock hound, we have been digging a gravel vein in our woods for a while now. Rocks we have found are Agate, Chert, Calcedony, Jasper and Flint. We've also found things we know are artifacts, and something's we're not sure of.

Here are the items we found that we know are artifacts:
DSC00934.webpDSC00932.webp

Here are the ones we're not sure of:
DSC00938.webpDSC00939.webpDSC00942.webpDSC00943.webpDSC00944.webpDSC00945.webp

We also found this rock, nothing like the other rock we have been finding in the area. Maybe some type of ceremonial rock?:
DSC00940.webp

Your help is very appreciated!
 
Upvote 0
Interesting pieces! Some of the pieces in the first pic are completely natural. They are called Omarolluks. Omars for short. Google them and see. Some were used by the natives, and some of yours show it.
 
I'm no expert, but believe the large stone with the indention on pic 4 is a nutting stone. The basin looks bigger than the one I've seen, but I'm sure others will chime in with their expertise and opinion.
 
Last 5 pictures are just rocks, first picture are geofacts.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the information. That's what we were thinking. I just did some research and found out the flat stone could be a Metate or Mealing stone. I'm so excited! I finally found something other than the Omars and chunks of flint. I'm going to keep digging. The other pictures that look like only a rock appears to us to have been worked. I couldn't get a good picture of it....just kept looking like a "rock". Or we just want it to be something.....LOL I still think I'll keep it with the good stuff.
 
that last one looks like river polished jasper....if you put it in the rock polisher it would turn out like this...

fancy-jasper-banded.jpg
 
Wow that is a beautiful rock. I do have a rock tumblers, so I may try to polish mine. Thanks for sharing your picture.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom