What's new

Asking for Permission

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
3,152
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 17 and needless to say I'm pretty nervous going up to someone's front door asking if I could metal detect their property. I try to have other people do it for me... :D

My question is, how do you ask for permission? Do you just go up to the front door and ask? Do you write a letter to the property owner? I have a camp in a very historic area and I wish I knew how to talk to the property owners properly. There are tons of older houses from the late 1700's to the early 1900's and I'm sure I could be out there finding something great.

Thanks
 
I just go up, introduce my self and try to strike a conversation with that person. You can tell early on if they are going to let you or not. It could be a straight, no or it could be, "let me think about it" or some people won't even open their door to you.... which is understandable with all of the things that go on in this world. Small towns are great because everyone knows you or your parents...... hopefully. Good luck and be a good salesman :icon_sunny:
 
i know how ya feel, i dont like asking permission either, i'd rather just hunt where i usually hunt, family owned property for that reason.
Start up a conversation like i do, tell them that you like to Medal Detect/treasure hunt, and they will usually say, "Really?! Well your more than welcome to come out here and treasure hunt all you want!" or they will say, "have you tried over at so & so? I know the people who own it and i'll ask them if you can treasure hunt there." I never have to ask anyone if i can md on their property, they usually just offer. Most of the time i never take them up on it, but i know if i ever want to all i have to do is pick up the phone.
You'd be surprised at all the places you could hunt just by talking to the people you already know.
 
I have the same apprehension. I live in a large metroplex area, but know of an old farmhouse, now torn down, that the farmer used to sell fruits and vegetable off his from porch. Used to stop there and talk with him myself. I know he left the property to someone he considered like a daughter, over 2 years ago. I heard she was going to build there, but still hasn't. The city is parking some of their trucks there now, while they do road work. I can't seem to catch the owner there, I drive by it a lot, looking for them.
I figure, the worst they can say is no, so when I catch them there I'm just going to stop and strike up a conversation, tell them about my hobby and that I will respect their property, then ask.
Good luck to you. We have to start with someone, then I think it will be easier to do.
Dustbuster
 
I never Knock at doors,
Unless a Neighbor or somone Specifically tells me to & I have their name to drop,
as an opening line.

If at all possable catch them outside,

walk up Say Hi ! & start with a Quick "How ya doing ?"
After the Introductions, Handshake , Quick comment about the weather,
Property, or whatever is Called for at the moment ;

"The reason I stopped is, did you know there used to be a Camp Here ?"

or Play dumb " I heard there used to be a Camp in the area Somewhere,
was wondering if you know where it was"


He may say something like "Yes i did" to the first question.

Or "Yep, Right here" to the second.

If you go with the 1st choice

and he says "Yes i did" Say "well the reason i'm asking, is I'm into Metal detecting
and was Wondering if i could Metal detect in the area, see if I can find anything cool"


If he says "it's been hunted Hard your not going to find anything"

Pep Up, Say Cool ! I like places that have been Hunted, you'd be surprised what gets missed"

add "I'd be happy to show you what i find" keep smiling.

If you go with #2 and he says "Yep, Right here"

Smile & say something like "Awsome" or "cool" or whatever
Expression you Prefer. Just not "Bitchin !" :P


Then go into your "well the reason i'm asking, is I'm into Metal detecting
and was Wondering if i could Metal detect in the area, see if I can find anything cool"


If it's a Buisness that ownes the property I just walk in and ask
"Who would be the person to ask If I could Metal detect at ...."

For the most part Play your Responses by Ear.

GOOD LUCK !

P.S.

If an Owner comes up with 2 Excuses, Give Up.
They are blowing you off.

The first is usually

"It's been Hunted Hard"

The second is Usually

"I have a Detector" , "My Nephew has a detector", Etc.

or Liability

Either way, He's Drawing at straws at this point to get rid of you.

Then just Smile, Thank him for his time,
"Okeedoke ! Thanks anyway" and Tell him to "Have a good One !" :thumbsup:
& Leave with your Pride intact.
 
I'm 18 and I ask you well why not ask?? You can only get a yes or no. I used to be shy and never got anything out of it.. Heck it can even pay to be shameless at times. ;D

I go and knock on the door, make sure you get a hold of the landowner;
"Hello my name is... and I'm here because I want to know if I can detect your property."
Answer any possible questions and such if the owner is curios. Either you'll get a yes or a no, as easy as that. ;D
 
I ask.
Smile alot.
Try to find someone that knows the owner, if at all possible. Ask if you can drop their name.

So far I've not been told "no" on any site I really wanted to hunt. The more likely the spot is to be great, the more it's worth doing the research, and suck up like crazy!

If you are respectful, confident, and not in a big hurry, it will usually work out well.
Don't forget to promise to leave with the trash, and fill in your holes so that you won't leave a trace.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. The worst that can happen is you need to find another great place.

Look at it this way. If you ask and get to hunt someplace great you won't be swinging a coil over the same ground as all the mders that won't ask!

Good Luck.
Mark
 
Ring Doorbell

Hi my name is _______

My hobby is metal detecting.

Are you familiar with what that is....?

What I do is drive around and look for older homes and ask permission to detect them , I look mostly for coins....

Talk a bit about what you have found...

Complement them on the nice old homestead.

Be nice and friendly.

Say you will show you everything that is found.

try it it works 9 out of 10 times...

Good Luck .... Don't be afraid....Just be yourself...

If your scared about asking ,,, tell them you are too....
 
hey grasshopper,
If you look anything like your avatar nobody will turn you down,lol,jk.
anyway i have found that you just have to suck it up and ask for permission whenever possible, no matter how shy/nervous, if you really want it.
better to be shut down then to never have asked at all.
just feel out the situation to the best of your ability and go from there.
my 1st time i was scared sh!*less but got the OK, found myself junk, but it was my junk ;D
HH
mike
 
Ahhh, if you are male and you look like your avatar, I think you may have a problem!
lol,
Go ask, then have fun.
Good Luck,
Mark
 
My motto: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. :wink:
 
"My motto: It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission."

While I can undertand the temptation, and for some things I would agree.....
I really don't think it would be a good approach for detecting on private property.
Certainly wouldn't advise someone young and new to the hobby to start detecting on someone's land without seeking permission. Forgiveness might be achievable, but it's a pretty good way to lose any chance for yourself, and probably others, to ever hunt there again.

My two wheaties worth,
Mark
 
Be polite. Dress nice. Smile. Follow what the other members are saying. Once permission is granted, be sure to leave the property in better shape than it was when you started. FILL ALL HOLES. Dig the smallest holes possible. Go along with any special wishes that the property owner asks. There is an old mansion in my town that was built in 1845. I passed by it many times, but was always scared to pull in and knock on the door. Finally, one day, I thought to myself..."Self, the worst thing that can happen is they say no". So I went up, knocked on the door, started a conversation about the history of the house, and in 10 minutes had permission. The lady came out as I was digging a target and asked if I was finding anything. Well, the target I dug was my first old coin, a 1912 dime, and I was thrilled! And then....the lady asked if she could have it! :'( :'( :'( Forcing myself to smile, I placed it in her hand. She looked at me for a second then said (I'll never forget this)..."Well, you passed my test.
I was wondering what kind of person you are inside. I could see in your eyes that you were excited about that coin, and I could see that you didn't want to give it up. But you gave it to me without hesitation. For that, you are welcome here anytime, no need to ask, just hunt, have fun, and keep what you find". Since that day, well over 100 coins came out of that yard, along with 9 rings, a partial Confederate belt plate ;D, and spurs, bullets, and Union buttons. Life is good!
 
EddieR said:
Be polite. Dress nice. Smile. Follow what the other members are saying. Once permission is granted, be sure to leave the property in better shape than it was when you started. FILL ALL HOLES. Dig the smallest holes possible. Go along with any special wishes that the property owner asks. There is an old mansion in my town that was built in 1845. I passed by it many times, but was always scared to pull in and knock on the door. Finally, one day, I thought to myself..."Self, the worst thing that can happen is they say no". So I went up, knocked on the door, started a conversation about the history of the house, and in 10 minutes had permission. The lady came out as I was digging a target and asked if I was finding anything. Well, the target I dug was my first old coin, a 1912 dime, and I was thrilled! And then....the lady asked if she could have it! :'( :'( :'( Forcing myself to smile, I placed it in her hand. She looked at me for a second then said (I'll never forget this)..."Well, you passed my test.
I was wondering what kind of person you are inside. I could see in your eyes that you were excited about that coin, and I could see that you didn't want to give it up. But you gave it to me without hesitation. For that, you are welcome here anytime, no need to ask, just hunt, have fun, and keep what you find". Since that day, well over 100 coins came out of that yard, along with 9 rings, a partial Confederate belt plate ;D, and spurs, bullets, and Union buttons. Life is good!

Great post Eddie!

You and the property owner did the right thing!

:thumbsup:
 
I had an elderly lady invite me in for tea, told me all about the property and gave me permission. Then as I walked out the door she said, "Just don't do any digging"! There was no way I could convince her to let me dig just a little bit. Very strange. I guess she thought I could recover things by osmosis? :D Monty
 
Edde I hope you remembered her at Christmas. Some little token of appreciation will go a long way with a property owner. Monty
 
crazyjarhead said:
I just go up, introduce my self and try to strike a conversation with that person. You can tell early on if they are going to let you or not. It could be a straight, no or it could be, "let me think about it" or some people won't even open their door to you.... which is understandable with all of the things that go on in this world. Small towns are great because everyone knows you or your parents...... hopefully. Good luck and be a good salesman :icon_sunny:
I can relate to that crazyjarhead you can tell early on if they are going to let you. I have found more people
to tell me yes than no. I tell them there yard will not be disturbed and they won't ever no I hunted there yard.
 
We have a man in our club that when he is seeking permission to hunt a yard,farm etc...
He offers to give all of his finds to them then buys it all back.
 
Best thing to do is network through people you know or get to know by just talking to them. In my opinion, I won't approach someone about MD'ing their yard if it is well groomed and they obviously take a alot of pride in it. I like to think I can cut clean minimal plugs but if I had alot of sweat equity in a yard or paid someone alot of money to keep it in that condition, I would not be willing to have anyone cut or dig or probe the yard. Set your sights on yards where you don;t think people would care if you did minimal probing or minor digging. I always offer a small free service like hauling away some junk or moving some thing in exchange. I also offer to look for items they may have lost.

Alot also has to do with the way you ask. Be very polite yet direct with respectful eye contact. Good luck.
 
Be straightforward and be honest. If they say "no", thank them for their time and give them a business type card with your name, address, and phone number on it. You never know, after they think about it for a bit they may give you a call later to come back. :walk:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom