Asking permission to metal detect private property

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello I am 13 and ready to ask for permission to metal detect on private property. and I was wondering that if I find gold, silver, or plat is the home owner gonna try and take a part off it? Or should I before i start should I ask them if they have everlost any valuable iteams so I can help them find it, so I would get to keep the rest.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does everyone have to complicate this so much? In the area where I live, I just ask one question: "Would you care if I did a little metal detecting on your place?". Most folks around here, if they say yes, could care less to see your finds. They care more about whether you do a good job filling your holes. Often, they will volunteer information like, "There used to be an old house over there." or "There are rumors that the previous owner buried some money here somewhere.". If that's the case, I'll usually offer to show them if I find something that interesting.
Also, if the owner comes by and asks, "Find anything good?", I'll usually empty my pockets & show them. Otherwise, I don't go out of my way to show my finds unless they've asked me to beforehand.
I have one place where I've agreed to relinquish all of my finds (it's the property of the local historical society.) & I've been completely honest with them. Haven't really found anything valuable, but a few neat artifacts.
Just ask, be polite, and be thorough filling your holes. Easy as that. I wouldn't go shoving contracts in folks faces or start discussing sharing valuables, etc. It scares a lot of people off or makes them think you're in it for the money rather than the hobby.
Good luck!

No complication from my angle, I keep it simple. Here is a question for you; if you asked & they said go ahead & you found a $1000 coin, what would you do?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too think the contracts are a bad idea. When I ask permission, I try to make them feel at ease by saying you can have anything I find if you want. Some people think you're out there finding gold bars/coins. Most people say, no, I don't want anything, you found it--you keep it. One guy looked me in the eye and said "nothing leaves the property." I made sure to lay out every pulltab and piece of can slaw I found along with the relics and buttons. He wasn't interested in anything and he lightened up a bit after that and enjoyed my company when I came around to detect. He kept joking about where the gold bars were :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the eye does'nt see, the heart won't greave over...but it is your choice at the end of the day. But don't beleive everthing you read here either.

SS

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they say yes I want to see your finds make sure you take some stinkin licolns and put the good items in your pouch or another pocket.
If they give you permission basically they are saying whatever you find is yours and you may keep it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only type of contract I would sign is one saying
if I get hurt it is my problem and not the land owners
or maybe one giving me permission to detect.

:laughing9: hopefully you don't get hurt without a contract

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they say yes I want to see your finds make sure you take some stinkin licolns and put the good items in your pouch or another pocket.
If they give you permission basically they are saying whatever you find is yours and you may keep it.

Posting this type of advice on a public forum is a bad idea as it will be used to shut the hobby down. Hopefully the moderators will remove it.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recent got permission to hunt approximately 15 acres that has a lot of history as it was an old school ground that hasn't seen any activity since it was burnt down in the late 60s. My permission was to just don't damage things and fill my holes. No one is around on this property most of the time and I was told to hunt as I wanted. If any one ask to tell them such and such said I could hunt here. So why would I go to the trouble and make it complicated and go find this owner to show them what I find? If he comes around and ask I will response according to what his interest is but if he doesn't come around I will hunt and mind my own business and go my way. I don't believe in making anything any more complicated then they are. Just respond and respond honestly according to what comes you way. I will use the same ethics hunting there as I would do anywhere else. Fill my holes, pick up trash and leave things in better condition than it was when I started. When you ask for permission to hunt that is exactly what your doing. People know that as a hobby your hunting to find things. Be friendly mind you own business and use good ethics in doing so and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recent got permission to hunt approximately 15 acres that has a lot of history as it was an old school ground that hasn't seen any activity since it was burnt down in the late 60s. My permission was to just don't damage things and fill my holes. No one is around on this property most of the time and I was told to hunt as I wanted. If any one ask to tell them such and such said I could hunt here. So why would I go to the trouble and make it complicated and go find this owner to show them what I find? If he comes around and ask I will response according to what his interest is but if he doesn't come around I will hunt and mind my own business and go my way. I don't believe in making anything any more complicated then they are. Just respond and respond honestly according to what comes you way. I will use the same ethics hunting there as I would do anywhere else. Fill my holes, pick up trash and leave things in better condition than it was when I started. When you ask for permission to hunt that is exactly what your doing. People know that as a hobby your hunting to find things. Be friendly mind you own business and use good ethics in doing so and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
Thank you PhilBarnett for basically saying my point of view on this.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you PhilBarnett for basically saying my point of view on this.

WRONG! What he wrote and what you wrote were two different things. In his case the owner gave him permission and did not ask to see the finds. In your case you wrote hypothetically about the owner wanting to see the finds and you hiding them and showing him some "stinkin lincolns" instead.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn similiar and you can give your finds away if you are that stupid
to do something like that and I will sit back and lovingly enjoy my finds.

Have you learnt nothing from this post. You call me STUPID.
Those that reward honesty do not steal your finds they reward you with most of them, but clearly you are clueless about telling the truth. You have NO EXPERIENCE.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't the soap box preachers....preach else were..each to his own.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't preach only tell you how to act successfully & gain the largest collection of finds you could ever try for. If you want me to 'preach' else where, good luck with that, try a little harder & get banned for another year.

Don't forget you started this, I kept my distance you keep try to bate me on every thread, everyone has noticed it, your not fooling anyone.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of which has been found by outher people, or bought.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of which has been found by outher people, or bought.

That is the most outrageous thing I have seen said. I have no need to prove anything & those that have detected with me (Shaun7 + others, including my Dad, which you now accuse) know the truth. Sad you have sunk to these depths.

But we all know how you act, you never hide it.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the most outrageous thing I have seen said. I have no need to prove anything & those that have detected with me (Shaun7 + others, including my Dad, which you now accuse) know the truth. Sad you have sunk to these depths.
What depths? you have bought of ebay, you told me you do this, your collection is finds from two people, you and your dad, whats wrong with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread