Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say it has to go back to Garrett for service............

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the at pro and mine at times when pinpointing seems to not make any sound. However, I have found that if you push the pinpoint 2 times it will narrow the pinpointer to a smaller detection field. If I do that the hit seems to disappear but if you move around the pinpointer will hit. Mine is a very small detection area... I have to be within about 1 inch for it to detect at that point. How at times I put it in this mode I don't know bc at times I only seem I hit it one time.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had one problem with mine since the day I bought it and it was solved by taking off the coil cover and wiping everything down with a wet rag.. Still don't know what exactly it was... maybe a tiny piece of metal stuck in between...

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector making a tone hit but not showing depth can be due to the object being deeper than what the detector bar can show. However, the size of the object also will determine how the machine shows on the depth. Remember they are usually calibrated for penny/dime so objects larger and smaller will be off compared to what the machine shows. I sometimes get good hits and I think it's a quarter or something just a bit bigger that may show 2 to 4 inch but after I get down 6 I begin to think its a bigger object like a can. I have than pulled out a smashed up can down around 8-10. So the machine will do it both ways. I believe in the book it also says the depth doesn't always show bc the detector can detect beyond the meter depending on the object.

However, I have felt that the pinpointing thing wasn't working correctly until I found out about how to make the field narrower in pinpointing... And I still do at times. But I have found my coins right where it said it would be.... So I guess it's not. When I get in that narrow mode somehow, that's when I get the what's going on with this machine bc it seems like it doesn't work but when I realize it I check it against my digging tool to see if its working. And it was everytime. I think I read this narrow field in the book also but not sure. Hope this may help you out some.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say it has to go back to Garrett for service.......

centurion

Greenie
Nov 18, 2012
I just got the same detector a couple if weeks ago and have similar issues, I so not think anything is wrong, when no depth or numbers show up I simply move the detector away and keep it still and the error seems to go away after that

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say send it back to Garrett for service....... I have one and that is not normal for the AT.... Could be you all should send them back for service......... In stead of saying my work's like that to so that must be how it is to work ...... Do you know how many of those AT's have been sent back to Garrett new right out of the box for service..... You could not count that high....That's how many............ Mine alone 3 or 4 times i lost track.......

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a fisher, I dont understand the problem?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could send it back to garrett, I'm sure they wont have a problem fixing the issue...I know i have had the issue of it giving me a tone, and no numbers...and most the time its just junk in the ground. I have used it in both Water and Land, and it seems to work fine for the most part

centurion

Greenie
Nov 18, 2012
If you have a smart phone with you when you are detecting, turn it off as they will cause the same issue

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've learned with mine that if I let it go, give it a second or two to recover, it works fine. You can keep hitting the button though.
I have two AT's one with serial number starting with 51 and the other with 52. If you have the 51 machine and havent sent it in for the upgrade, then the pinpoint issue could be related.
I'd be curious to know the outcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread