AT PRO vs AT MAX

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it depends on whether or not you want the new features. Need a backlight? Want to go wireless? Want all metal? Want a threshold hum? Want bigger numbers on the display? If you say yes to these questions then yeah, it's worth the money.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what Garrett says, ATP nor AT MAX is not your choice for wet salt water sand. For that a multi frequency detector is best.:coffee2:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what Garrett says, ATP nor AT MAX is not your choice for wet salt water sand. For that a multi frequency detector is best.:coffee2:

Sandman, how do you know the OP is planning to use the machine on the beach? I will agree that the AT pro is not my first (or even second) choice for beach hunting in the wet sand....but it does a very good job everywhere else I have used it. Also, of the great beach (wet sand) machines that I have used(mostly multi freq Minelabs) they did not do great when put in areas where nails and other iron were abundant. Most of these machines like the Sovereigns, Explorers, CZ's are just to slow at recovering and will miss what a faster machine like the AT machines will see between the nails. I am just saying that there is a tool for every job....and a better tool for every job.

As to the original question....I have not used a AT Max yet, but from what I have seen so far, I will be considering upgrading my Garretts to this machine. It has everything that the previous machines from Garrett have lacked and looks to be just what I would have added. Also, the new detector is suppose to be "better" on wet sand than the AT pro. And the AT pro will do ok for the average joe that visits the beach 1 or 2 times a year and is ONLY really trumped there by, like stated above, a multi-freq detector.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far all we have seen are some SHILL type presentations and some specification data release publications. I will be leaving my book open until I see some "real field reports" from non sponsored individuals who are true knowledgeable every day users. As Dan mentioned above, "if the couple new features" are important for the couple hundred dollars in cost and real field data are not important then jump on a new purchase.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, how do you know the OP is planning to use the machine on the beach? I will agree that the AT pro is not my first (or even second) choice for beach hunting in the wet sand....but it does a very good job everywhere else I have used it. Also, of the great beach (wet sand) machines that I have used(mostly multi freq Minelabs) they did not do great when put in areas where nails and other iron were abundant. Most of these machines like the Sovereigns, Explorers, CZ's are just to slow at recovering and will miss what a faster machine like the AT machines will see between the nails. I am just saying that there is a tool for every job....and a better tool for every job.

As to the original question....I have not used a AT Max yet, but from what I have seen so far, I will be considering upgrading my Garretts to this machine. It has everything that the previous machines from Garrett have lacked and looks to be just what I would have added. Also, the new detector is suppose to be "better" on wet sand than the AT pro. And the AT pro will do ok for the average joe that visits the beach 1 or 2 times a year and is ONLY really trumped there by, like stated above, a multi-freq detector.

This is just a warning to newbies that there are better choices for beach use.:occasion14:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a true statement Sandman.....if beach hunting is your main use, there are better choices.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
i saw a video with aquachigger who went all the way to italy on an italian beach to promote the new max and never went near the saltwater, what a jerk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hype!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imo prove me wrong and I will buy one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread