AT PRO VS WHITES MXT..Does anyone use both machines? 5 yrs with mxt - atpro ordered..

LETSHUNTNOW

Jan 22, 2008
ILLINOIS
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I love my whites mxt and have hunted with it for about 5 yrs..I have posted a few times over the yrs but not lately as I have found what I call the average finds,mercs,wheaties,tokens etc..I call these average because I look at treasurenet every night and see the great things that are being found...I have found one walking liberty half,one ben frankling half and 7 kennedy halves..6 barber quarters,7 barber dimes,one large cent and a lot of mercs,indians and wheats....a lot of tokens,dog tags and other great things...I truly love all that I find and have several showcases full...I believe in my mxt and will always use and treasure it but I always wonder about other machines..i have read tons of info on this site and my question is does anyone use the mxt and the at pro and do you like each the same or one better...good luck digging and dig every beep....thanks for any info...letshuntnow

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always used Whites products and still use my Surfmaster PI. However I bought an AT pro really to try something different. Tomorrow I might get the itch to purchase a Minelab. Anyway I can't say anything bad about the AT pro. Solidly built machine that does everything I want. And I spend most of my time on the beach. I think you won't be disappointed and it is great to have more then one machine.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have been a White's fan for years and years and currently use a DFX. However, back in May I bought my wife an AT Pro and I have taken it out several times. At first I didn't think much of it, it seemed to be flimsy and too "light" to hold up well. (years of carrying the White's with metal control boxes!? Ha) plus I heard bad things about the early ones sold right after the model was introduced. Ours IS a later model, mfg this year, and I must admit that I really do like it, especially the Pro Mode and it operates on 15 kHz which is one of the same frequencies the DFX uses. It has held up excellent and I can take it out when its raining also.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always been a Whites fan myself and still running my 16yr old XLT with great performance . That being said , my detecting buddy runs an AT Pro and has great success anytime we're out together . He is so pleased with his AT , he's soon going to buy one for his wife . Never heard him say anything negative about it . JMHO

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my opinion I have a Atpro a v3i & a deus they all serve different purposes & are all great in there ways. Each one does have probably one or more then one advantage over the other. With the Atpro u get waterproof,iron audio its light, a very good & easy to use machine it is nice if ur out and about in the woods or park u come across a river,pond etc or it even starts to rain, u do not have to run to ur car or truck just keep on hunting or jump in the pond no need to carry multiple detectors. That's one of my main reasons of y its gonna stay in my arsenal of tools

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how can you call a pro detector that is a silent search a pro
I don't see it
I thought a threshold made the difference between a beginners and a pro when did Garrett get the o.k. to change the rules

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how can you call a pro detector that is a silent search a pro
I don't see it
I thought a threshold made the difference between a beginners and a pro when did Garrett get the o.k. to change the rules

Obviously we all get it dude ur not a fan of the Atpro ok, but some people do like it, obviously old man garret did this one right or it wouldnt b as,popular as it is & it works pretty darn good I like my whites I like my deus I like,a lot of others some I don't care for but that's not what this hobby is about what ur using its,really about having fun & making cool finds I think some where along those lines u forgot that & now its just oh another guy I c likes a Atpro well I'm gonna crash his day & crap on the machine cuz I dont like it. Lame

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have more pros than cons about the ATP. It can be a bit discouraging at 1st but once you learn it's quirks and what it tells you I think it is a pretty good machine. Most guys on here give you a real honest opinion and never knock what others use but there are always exceptions. It's like the old Chevy vs Ford thing. I drove Chevy's for over 30 yrs but I now I been driving Fords since 2001.

Ya never know until you try.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever works best for ya to find the great items period mot mines better then urs an since ur not using the same thing as me urs is junk. So sick of hearing it its crap, we need more talk on finds what ya found where ya go,other then hey ur machines not the same as mine so ur isn't good mines the best reminds me of my kids in first & second grade

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What ever works best for ya to find the great items period mot mines better then urs an since ur not using the same thing as me urs is junk. So sick of hearing it its crap, we need more talk on finds what ya found where ya go,other then hey ur machines not the same as mine so ur isn't good mines the best reminds me of my kids in first & second grade

Agreed!

The AT Pro REALLY hits the buttons of several non users. It's almost like they're worried how well others enjoy their machines or that they have to justify what they have. What I don't get is why they even care.
Sad really!

OP
OP
LETSHUNTNOW

LETSHUNTNOW

Jan 22, 2008
ILLINOIS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies...I am 100 percent satisfied in my mxt and what it can do and what it has done for me..i was wanting a backup and I guess a little change...I will learn the at pro..i dug everything in the beginning with my mxt just to understand what I was digging and will do the same with the at pro.i am just as excited now as I was when I was waiting on my mxt...cmon fedex..I feel a vacation day from work coming this week....thanks..letshuntnow

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun man a lot of here to use the Atpro as a back up & a main machine its got a lot of pro's & does very well in iron infested areas & water I got high-end machines fella does,the guy rk does & we all still use the Atpro if called for its a good machine u made a good choice congrates my friend & happy hunting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We've enjoyed our MXT as well but dang that thing is heavy! Thinking of making a switch to the AT pro as well,I've heard really good things about them as far as ease of use goes.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only gets better I not sure exact on the mxt but I know what ur saying on weight my v3i with the sunray I put on feels heavy but for me is well worth it the Atpro with stock coil is 3.03lbs & 2.8lbs with the 5x8 which besides making it lighter its crazy well balanced. If u ever want something even lighter the xp deus whole new world of weight 1.9 lbs & less with the control pad off & in ur pocket,around ur neck,on ur hip where ever its the size of a smartphone so anywhere good luck its a good machine if it wasn't & wasn't so well built there wouldnt b this many out there theres a reason y they r wanted so much & not many at all used in classifieds

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MXT Pro was my favorite machine and the one I probably had the most time on. Simple, powerful, deep & awesome! Loved the balance, loved the layout. It simply worked great.
That was until I got the ATP. Admittedly it did take a little while for me to warm up to the AT Pro. Things like the plug design and the cheap cam locks really bothered me at first. It came off as cheap and I still kind of feel that way on the cam locks. Another thing I really didn't like was the balance of a the ATP compared to the MXT Pro. The ATP came in a full pound lighter yet always felt heavier. At the suggestion of many, I decided to try the 5x8 coil and THAT was the turning point and the beginning to the end of my Whites usage.
Once the machine and I started to gel, I pretty much stopped using all of my other detectors. And in fact I got rid of all my Whites because I knew I wouldn't be using them any longer. Haven't regretted it yet nor will I. The ATP will be staying a good long time I'm sure.
I wouldn't say it excels at any one thing but doesn't do ANYTHING bad. In fact it does EVERYTHING (so far) pretty well.

OP
OP
LETSHUNTNOW

LETSHUNTNOW

Jan 22, 2008
ILLINOIS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella, thanks for the reply....I started with a bounty hunter commando that my wife got me and I found an 1898 barber quarter in my own yard and that hooked me..i then bought the mxt and I also had to warm up to it but I now know the mxt and love it...I posted tonight in the todays finds a slq,ih,v nickel and some other goodies...I am hoping I can go over the same places that I have to detect with the at pro and find more that I have missed with the mxt..have you gone back over places you have done with the mxt pro..i know that you can keep going back to the same places but I figure a new machine is like a different coil,you find more stuff...I have done a lot right by my house about 30 times and two weeks ago found a silver Washington quarter...thanks again...letshuntnow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread