What's new

At Rocks request, a few of my favorites

huntress104

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
566
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
At Rock's request, a few of my favorites

here are a few of my better finds. My favorite would have to be the banded slate bar weight that I found in a creek bank on my farm. I was told by a person at one of the shows I attended that the "scratch lines" around the edge were talley marks, a way to keep up with the number of kills made. Also that the banded slate is not native to Kentucky, but comes from farther north. My second favorite would have to be the bone tool with the white tip.
Artifacts in pictures 1,5,6, and 7 were all found on my own property.

001.webp 001.webp 060.webp 004.webp 010.webp 014.webp 006.webp
002.webp 004.webp 007.webp 003.webp 007.webp 032.webp 098.webp
005.webp 007.webp 002.webp 018.webp 007.webp 002.webp
 
Upvote 0
Holy Cow!!
Those are awesome Hunteress. Some of everything.
I love that weight, great material, congrats..
Thanks for posting them.
Steve
 
WOW. I would have to agree the first one is my favorite and second would have to be all the rest. #11 looks really neat have you ever found out what it is called?
 
Wow!!! You have some killer stuff. Is that brown color a dover flint I am seeing? You are truly the "Huntress'. :notworthy: Amazing artifacts.
 
Those are some exceptionally fine finds! :notworthy: Really like those large points!
 
WOW. I would have to agree the first one is my favorite and second would have to be all the rest. #11 looks really neat have you ever found out what it is called?

#11 is called a Quad. It says in my artifact book that it is thought to be one of the oldest points known. I found all of the pieces from #8 to the last one at the site on the river. Lots of different types there. I believe that it was a place used through the years by many different groups.
 
Wow!!! You have some killer stuff. Is that brown color a dover flint I am seeing? You are truly the "Huntress'. :notworthy: Amazing artifacts.

Thanks for the comment TnMountains. I don't know what kind of flint it is but there was a lot of it there. I found all kinds of flakes and chunks of it. It really stands out among the other gray flint. I also found a lot of marbled looking flint, but no points made out of it. Guess it was too soft for what they needed.
 
I love the quad and yes that looks like Dover flint I see a greenbriar and a big sandy awesomefinds
 
@ huntress are you still able to hunt that area?
 
Thank you for sharing. Those are awesome, and on your own property. That's so cool!!!
 
@ huntress are you still able to hunt that area?

Not at the moment. Right now it is in a boundary dispute. The current land tendant says he owns it because it joins his property. the other person says it's his property so there is kind of a legal battle going on right now. I thought it best to just stay away until it is settled. I hope to be back in there by winter when the crops are gone. Can't wait to find more good stuff in there.
 
Thank you for sharing. Those are awesome, and on your own property. That's so cool!!!

Yes it is pretty cool. I didn't even realize that we had that kind of stuff until the man we bought the farm from told me how he used to find good pieces when he was a boy growing up there. So I started looking around. There was an Indian camp site here too. I have found and have pictures of a fire pit there. A large tree fell over on it and broke the rock that was around it. When I dug it out it still had burnt ashes in it. Now that was really cool!!.
 
I wonder if Huntress has done anymore hunting
 
...my goodness...I sound like my grandma lol.....those sure are pretty...thanks for sharing them!
 
#2 is awesome...and have never seen one like #15 would you know its type? Great group of artifacts!!:icon_thumright:
 
It was good to hear from you Huntress. I will be looking for your future post, rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom