At the Beach (updated with more pictures)

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

Wow it has been a long time since my last post >:( But South Africa has been going through so much rain that there is too much, and too high weeds to cope with.... A bad year.

Anyway, I have just returned from a well deserved 3 week holiday, 1 week in the mountains, and the other 2 weeks at the coast.

It is the first time in my metal detecting career, that I have detected at the beach :thumbsup: We went to a place on the Natal south Coast called Margate.... It is a very nice scenic place to stay, and the weather was just great.

Peter1.jpg

Note the plastic jug that was used to retrieve the treasure, it worked great..... ::)

Peter2.jpg

Another first was that I borrowed another detector (Lone Star) and was able to have the wife join me detecting (her first time).

Pauline.jpg

Last year, all the beaches were completely washed away in very bad weather, so all the detector people are complaining of lack of good finds, I was just happy to get a chance at detecting again :icon_sunny:
Well my detecting turned up R14.38 (Rands and Cents), a small coca cola button, and a lead fishing sinker.
The wife found lots of coins, and the only piece of jewlery, which was a cast skull.... Junk jewlery >:( but she did enjoy going out detecting, and wants to go again....

Money1.jpg

Rands.jpg

Lead.jpg

I know that this is not the greatest treasure ever found, but to us it was a very special time with each other, on a well deserved break... That was the biggest treasure for us. It was the most coins that I have found in such a short time though hahahahaha.....

Hope that you have enjoyed our trip, as much as we did.....

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: At the Beach

Great to hear from you, pgilly! :) :)

Thanks for the great vacation pictures. I'm glad your wife liked the detecting. Beach detecting is a whole different experience than inland detecting. So much easier. 8)

You're our South African treasure, Pgill! :-*

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Thanks for taking us along Peter! Glad your wife went with you and decided she liked it too! That will be neat having her to hunt with when you go out. Looks to me like you both found lots of goodies too. What a beautiful place to detect. Your homemade scoop there looks like a handy lil tool and I hope someday I get a chance to detect a beach...might have to make me one of those too! :thumbsup: Hope you get out again soon! God bless!

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the quick replies lassies ::) Yeah it was a great holiday... It was the first holiday that we had had within a year and a half, and in that time, I have had 2 heart opperations, and the wife was in hospital with phnumonia.... so we did need the time....
I was going to make a fancy scoop, but decided against it as I will not get to the beach that often, so just felt that it was not worth the trouble....

You guys are my angels :angel4:

God bless,
Peter

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Definitely glad to hear that you finally got that much needed vacation and oh so very glad you have both recuperated so well. I had missed your posts and it has been great to see you on here again lately and now finding goodies too! sweeeet! Hope you both get out more often now! ~hugsnprayers~

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: At the Beach (updated more pictures)

Thanx Cynangyl for the words,,,, I do appreciate them :thumbsup:

Well I have decided to give you some more pics of my beautiful country, photo's taken while on holiday....

The first week was spent at a place called Clarence which is at the foot of the Lesotho mountains..... We stayed at a placed called Sunnyside Guest Farm.....

Ggate1.jpg

Ggate2.jpg

Ggate3.jpg

sunnyside1.jpg

sunnyside2.jpg

sunnyside3.jpg

sunnyside4.jpg

sunnyside5.jpg

sunnyside6.jpg

This is one place where you can just sit outside and be blessed by God's beauty......

God bless
Peter

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

God's beauty is right! Wow! What gorgeous scenery! Is it just me or are there doors and windows in that cliff in the distance? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We then moved onto a place called Margate which is by the sea......

beach1.jpg

beach2.jpg

About 60km inland from Margate is a place called Oribi Gorge. They have a suspension bridge over the gorge which is 100 meter long and 130 meters above the ground.... but the siites are grand....

Bridge.jpg

Gorge1.jpg

Dam.jpg

Eland.jpg

Bird.jpg

Blesbok.jpg

Blesbok1.jpg

Giraffe.jpg

Water buck.jpg

Zebra.jpg

This gorge is based in a game reserve, and as you drive around, you get to see lots of game.... we were blessed this day to have seen so much.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cynangyl, those door and windows that you see are erosion in the soil of the cliffs. The erosion has actually created caves in the mountains, they are not deep in, but at one time, they were used by the San people to hide and live in.... there are some rock paintings in some of the caves from these times....

South Africa is a beautiful country.....

God bless
Peter

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Very cool! You are right.....very definitely beautiful country! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
wow nice pic, ty for sharing your country with me.

awesome place to see.......

I lke the pitcher strainer nice idea :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx Bridge End Farm,

I do not live near the coast, and also did not want to spend money on making one of those fancy scoops.... so that is when the jug came out of the cupboard ::)
Altogether on my holiday, I drove over 2000 km's, seeing some of the nicest places to be found in this country....

God bless
Peter

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8)what did you use to drill the hole with a half inch drill. nothen beats low buck how toos nice pics too.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome back.

I have very rarely done beaches, but you did better than me :)

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Fantastic Peter!! Always a great story and even greater pics! Happy Hunting to you and your family. I truly enjoyed your pictures! :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, you have a beautiful country. It is one of the few places outside the USA that I have longed to visit. Those finds are great. Finding lots of expensive items is good, but just getting out and digging a few scoops is such a great way to relax and enjoy your holiday. I especially enjoyed seeing the pictures of the game animals as I once told you I am a lifelong hunter. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years for hunting gear and portion of the taxes on hunting equipment goes to wildlife conservation. Due to my age and health I now do most of my hunting with a camera except for an occasional deer for the dinner table. As one heart patient to another I know what you have been going through and I am glad to see you are back on your feet and doing well. I really enjoyed you sharing your holiday with us , and I look forward to your future adventures from a "far away place". M :thumbsup: nty

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very pretty country...But it looks way to hot for me! Geesh we had like +40 C yesterday! >:(
Almost tropical temperatures. lol :-\

I love working beaches but all beaches here are small and easy coved in a few hours work. ::)
Thanks for sharing Peter.

Regards,
Eu

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Nice group of digs there......and nice views to look at as well......

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the great responses..... This is a really beautiful country, and wherever you travel there are great things to see.
The scoop has 10mm holes drilled into it, it was made up very quickly, in fact about 10 minutes ::) I must admit, I was very happy with the results of the scoop. My only problem was that everytime I found something it meant a swat,,,, when the wife also found, it also meant a swat :tard: I felt dead at the end of the day. Next time I will make another scoop and the wife can dig her own finds ;D :love4:

While on holiday, I came across a small shop that was selling fold up shovels.... I bought the smallest shovel that I have see so far.... Will give it a good test in our hard South African soil....

Spade1.jpg

Spade2.jpg

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty, great to hear from you again :wink:

This country has become so much against hunting that camera hunting is the way to go. At resorts etc, they have signs that say "When hunting, take nothing but pictures" or something like that, camera hunting has become a big thing.

My heart is now great, I am back to normal.... which is fantastic after so many years of problems.... I just pray that you can be the same as me..... I feel great these days ;D Lots of the people here prayed for me, and it worked :wink:

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread