bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

Views are at 1759....to check the posts/views you have to go to the subject area where your thread is located.....
which is "metal detecting" and bingo there it is...as easy as apple pie.....not sure if it works on your cellphone or not.....but how would I know I still use a rotary dial type phone.....bought it from Alexander Graham Bell himself.....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
HutSiteDigger said:
This may be alittle off from the topic, but the deepest I have dug a hut site out was 8 feet, got to 6 feet and found a pile of stuff so went down 2 more feet. IT was so deep I had to bring a ladder. :occasion14:

I am surprised there was no ladder in the hole, it sounds like the kitchen sink was. 😊

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should stop digging when, with every other swing of the detector, your walker sets off a good tone and you are convinced there is a quarter under the right front leg.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should stop digging when, with every other swing of the detector, your walker sets off a good tone and you are convinced there is a quarter under the right front leg.

PVC homebuilt walker will solve that problem. I'm figuring you should stop digging when the cops show up and say "we got a call about a despondent senior apparently digging their own grave "... lol

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's funny! :)

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...Ok, you should stop digging when a passerby sees the dirt mound around your hole, calls the local news, who notifies the US Geological Service, who show up with a film crew expecting to see a volcanic eruption. :)

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If the pinpoint reads 0-2" from the detector, the handheld pinpointer wont read it pre-dig and I reach 4 inches before the handheld goes off...I dig 2 more inches before I think quit unless the handheld reads the entire hole....then I almost always quit right then. I sometimes "just have to know" and it's 99% of the time a buried can or a hunk of metal, especially if the handheld starts reading the sides and the bottom of the hole and still does with another scoop out. martin

billsfan714

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Practice pinpointing with some coins in your yard. My boys have ace 250's and have trouble pinpointing. It's all about practice and getting to know your detector. Hit a Elemetary school. Kids drop lots of change. Good luck!😃

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have another tip for you BB. If you are out hunting and you keep looking at something in the distance (old sidewalk, Large tree, etc etc) head over there right away and check the area out. Your brain is acting like a mental dowsing rod, and you should listen to your inner self. I have done this many times and it usually turns out to be a better spot than what I was hunting previously. I have been hunting over 50 years. Started with a Radio Shack B.F.O machine, wanna talk about false signals? And the depth was terrible also, 2 inches max. And yes, everything but most nickels and pennies was silver. Before 1964, I almost spent all my coinage from back then.....nge

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is like two men Vaudeville acts. There's the straight guys and the comedians. Take Abbot and Costello for instance, the straight guy Abbot, made me laugh the most. :)

Last edited:

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been practicing with my Pistol Probe...I'm getting better...but think I should've practiced in the back yard instead..
front yard.jpeg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twinkletoes,

LOL...pretty much sums it up.....its a ying/yang thing...you need both sides to pull off the show....we do this stuff to amuse/confuse ourselves and others during cabin fever season.

Regards + HH

Bill

This thread is like two men Vaudeville acts. There's the straight guys and the comedians. Take Abbot and Costello for instance, the straight guy Abbot, made me laugh the most. :)

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going at this hole for 20 minutes and it's bringing up $.10-$.25 but I still got nothing!!

Just remove the coin someone glued to the bottom of your coil :headbang: :laughing9:

I just wished all the questions were this simple :tongue3:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging deeper with Twinkletoes!
If you feel like digging more and deeper targets than ever before, try this new and exhausting technique. This will work well in an area where oil drums or other large targets like tanker trucks are buried deeper than 17 feet, if the ground isn’t overloaded with too many pre 1964 coins. Turn on VCO/Ratchet Pinpointing set D/C Sensitivity to a fairly low number, like -2 on the +10-+50 scale (Sorry, don't remember the scale on the XLT but it weighs about 6.5 pounds). Now, when you start hunting, click the trigger forward to hunt in the All Metal mode ......you need to set ground balance so you get a faint threshold in the pinpoint mode to get maximum depth. You are going to search for the faint soft signals (not the short choppy ones, these are usually industrial chunks of large machinery and scrap iron). When you get a signal, pull the trigger for normal detecting mode (discriminate) and sweep over target, if it reads at VDI #-95 thru +95, and seems larger than 2 feet across dig it. You'll find that those very deep signals will generally ID at +95, or anywhere else in the number range. Basically what you are doing is hunting backwards......that is hunting for huge pieces of junk and hoping to find masked coins layered above them as you dig. Check the target again in the discriminate mode. This is harder than actually hunting in the normal preset coin mode because you get the maximum volume tone ID ringing in the depth of your ears. To be sure that the target is out of reach sweep very slowly. You can often hear a target response if you sweep very close to or actually under the ground, but not necessarily directly over it.

P.S. Today I did some more experimenting with my XLT using a 95 inch coil and tested it on my 6 foot deep clad dime buried several decades ago. At DC sens of -1a & DC sens of -15a2z, I had no trouble pinpointing, meter read 6 feet deep & DC phase was about -900 on this dime in this severely uneven ground (ugh) DC phase of -90 to +95 or worse, mostly. When I increased my DC sens mDm to 50 or so, the dime read 5.5 feet deep with DC phase in AMm of about -87 and I was having a little trouble losing my balance. I had preamp a six pack at 0600 hours & AC sens didn’t matter to me at this time. Targets seemed closer to each other (wider) at lower DC sens. the beep was about 4 yards wide. I also found out why I used to have problems with the m-damn VDI sensitivity giving me a.m. readings on non-existing objects, because they weren’t nonexistent. They were probably cars buried several feet deeper than I had expected. Apparently, the AC sens preset of 6abc4 was too high for nhb and too low for shallow digging. Now that I have the AC turned down to 58, I can turn the VDI up to 86, no problem for a nhb! I like that as the 6 foot deep dime now produces half to one bar at right instead of half to one bar at left. Right after that I left for the bar.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I made one mistake on my prior post. I do stop digging when the hole starts to fill with water. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread