Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

billsfan714

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
bill from lachine said:
Twinkletoes,

LOL...pretty much sums it up.....its a ying/yang thing...you need both sides to pull off the show....we do this stuff to amuse/confuse ourselves and others during cabin fever season.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yeah winter sucks for you guys in the mid to eastern states. Here California it just rains. It's nice to hunt all year long.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is like two men Vaudeville acts. There's the straight guys and the comedians. Take Abbot and Costello for instance, the straight guy Abbot, made me laugh the most. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Me thinks he means you, Bill from Lachine

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
woooooo hooooooo over 2000! way to go bbmacay

cubicleking

Jan 24, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I read the first 2 pages. Thought I would add my story from last night, as I have a dilemma as well. This is like the commercial about how many licks to the center of the tootsie roll pop. Anyways, I'm new to MD, because I just got my new Sovereign GT last week. All these years, I've lived a block away from the beach. I fish, run and swim it, but never hunted it. So, I just started, since I'm always down there anyways, plus I love the adventure.

Last night after combing the beach I decided to stop by and swing it by the volleyball court. By this time its dark and can barely see, but if I hear the TINGING in my scoop, I should be ok. Right?!

On one side of the courts I didn't find any signals. Go to the other side of the net and found a small scrap wire close to the edge by the grass. Keep searching and hit a faint signal. I dug about 18 inches and found a piece of aluminum - DOH!

So, I press on, then get another faint signal another 6 feet away. Really faint. It's inside the boundary of the volleyball area, so I scrape the surface of the sand and its stronger. So, I gotta dig. I'm down almost 2 feet now and haven't found anything. I'm starting to panic this time, at the same time, I'm curious as hell what it is. It better not be another piece of aluminum. The more I dug, the stronger the signal got. But it was dark, couldn't see, there were no lights in the parking lot nearby and I didn't have a flashlight - my phone's light wasn't bright enough either. I'm thinking what if someone sees me in this hole, LOL. I've already had someone flash their brights at me from across the parking lot from when I was digging the other hole, they must of thought what's that guy doing. I know sometimes there are police that sit on the other side of the trees and watch for speeders coming down the road.

Anyway, I didn't want to bring attention to myself, so I filled it in and made notes of where I found the target - LOL - X marks the spot. I might have to bring a shovel next time and act fast.

What would you do?

Last edited:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW you dug that deep on a beach area and the hole didn't fill with water? It may be the anchors that hold the metal pipes in place for the net, detune your machine a bit, then pass over the spot again. As a general rule I would never dig a hole that deep, anywhere, I figure at that depth, it has to be a "beach buggy" or some debris from Japan. But, if rhere are some stories of pirates near your area, I would go back with a bigger shovel.....nge

cubicleking

Jan 24, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The signal was nowhere's near the net and it was 6 feet from the edge of the grass. There was a 1700's fleet along the coast. The volleyball court is just across the dunes. I'm getting some new headphones. Think I'm going to go back and play with they MD's settings and bring a shovel.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yeah winter sucks for you guys in the mid to eastern states. Here California it just rains. It's nice to hunt all year long.

And here I always thought California deverted there rain to Oregon. Frank
111-2 700.jpg

Attachments

• 111-1 profile.jpg
    111-1 profile.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 91

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff,

I just do this stuff to amuse myself and drag everyone along for the ride kicking and screaming.....and demanding I stop......lol.

ps jeff you do a pretty good job yourself dude.

Regards + HH

Bii

Me thinks he means you, Bill from Lachine

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop digging when a full grown elm tree topples into your hole, and you don't notice it until you've climbed out.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson learned from today: Stop digging when a garbage-man-with-a-half-gold-and-silver-tooth-and-has-no-concept-of-personal-space approaches you and tells you that you are super awesome and welcome to metal detect in his trailer hood anytime.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
waits quietly for a certain male from lachine to jump on that...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
< usually called magnificently awesome FYI

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff,

I might be stupid but I'm not dumb.....me think she's setting me up....and if I come back with a witty response....she's going to yell.....BANANA and go poof.....I'm getting wise to her tactics....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear this happened to me to me today. Though I think he was trying to be genuinely nice but not so proficient in tactfulness. We were in a very public park but no one else was there, which was weird, but him and his partner stopped to use the public restrooms. I do carry a knife with me but it was at the bottom of my purse when he approached me. I just smiled and answered his questions and the they went away. It was definitely a first for me though.

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And by first, I just mean this was the first time anyone has ever approached me while I was metal detecting,

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bbcamay,

I can be serious when I put my mind to it.....and I seem to recall I had mentioned earlier on in the thread about detecting with a buddy as a precaution......you lucked out that these 2 guys were probably harmless and just lacked a bit of class....unlike yours truly I might add.

Unfortunately there are sickos out there and you don't know where or when they may pop up....

As a last resort you can always yell out.....BANANA and go poof..lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

I swear this happened to me to me today. Though I think he was trying to be genuinely nice but not so proficient in tactfulness. We were in a very public park but no one else was there, which was weird, but him and his partner stopped to use the public restrooms. I do carry a knife with me but it was at the bottom of my purse when he approached me. I just smiled and answered his questions and the they went away. It was definitely a first for me though.

OP
OP
bbcamay

bbcamay

Dec 29, 2012
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO!! Not sure they would get my 'banana' joke but usually I am in good spaces. This is a very pooular park so it surprised me no one was there. I live in country bumpkin land so it's not usual for me to encounter dudes like this but I was a little startled when I realized I was alone. Mind you it was 11a.m. , they were on their job and I am always paranoid (hence the shiv).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread