What's new

Authentic Texas Artifacts

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw on another thread were there was some questions regarding hinge fractures and flat spots on Texas artifacts and that they were repros. Well, even though I am from Ohio I have been studying and collecting Texas artifacts for a few years now and I can tell you that finding hinge fractures and flat spots on Texas artifacts is not that unusual, especially pieces from the lower sections of the state. They just don't get the freeze and thaw like we do up north so the hinge fractures don't pop off like they do in other places. Also, finding the smaller points with a flat side is not uncommon either since they used a lot of flakes to make their smaller points, especially the Perdiz types and I will show pictures of some of those and some pieces with still intact hinge fractures.

Here are some of my Texas Points that I know are authentic and you can see the hinge fractures that are still on them. It is more prevelant on the Root Beer Flint, but is also on some of the others types of material as well.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0059.webp
    DSC_0059.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0060.webp
    DSC_0060.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0062.webp
    DSC_0062.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0068.webp
    DSC_0068.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0069.webp
    DSC_0069.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0072.webp
    DSC_0072.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0075.webp
    DSC_0075.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0081.webp
    DSC_0081.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0083.webp
    DSC_0083.webp
    32 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0084.webp
    DSC_0084.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0088.webp
    DSC_0088.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_0094 - Copy.webp
    DSC_0094 - Copy.webp
    60.7 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0099.webp
    DSC_0099.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0
Just a friendly FYI, members who choose to break rules and become involved in a flame war will get time outs..
 
I hope its obvious I was purposely avoiding that here.
 
40 years old and still can't spell maybe
in 80 years you still will not be where grim at now
 
Okay... someone sounds like a kid here. "Where Grim at" haha. I think that's a Kid Rock song.
 
Last edited:
natchitoches said:
when someone who been hunting artifacts. 2 times longer than than you been alive.
you mite want to just shut up and hear what he saying.

Read that... hows your grammer buddy?
 
i live in texas and i know grim is right and that you are wroung.
 
(Wrong)...is how that is spelled. And this thread is not an argument between "Steve" and myself... "Will"... so please at least try to add something in the way of knowlage to this thread.
 
I'm interested because you are discounting nearly everything besides find it yourself...please edjucate away.


...I must admit, I even question some of those too....sometimes even when I pick it up myself, it just don't look right. And I know for a FACT that a large portion of the "Columbia River" points you see for sale (eBay etc.) are actually those Saharan points from Africa.
 
It seems to me that this must be narrowing down to the material because I'm from Florida and find alot of points where it does not freeze and none of them look like you could knock off hinge fractures with your fingernail.
 
Good post. Nice points as well. Hinge fractures are not uncommon even on paleo items even when they do freeze especially hornstone. I often wonder if it is just theory that a hinge fracture will pop off in freezing temps. I should wet and freeze some and see what happens. Is it proven that hinge fractures pop off Steve? I mean it is either there or gone right ? I have several flat sided ones.
HH
TnMtns


There is no doubt about it that freeze/thaw cycles remove hinges.
There is also no doubt about the fact hinges are common on Texas
artifacts …especially noticeable on artifacts made of high grade
Edwards Plateau cherts.

11KBP
 
Come on guys, lets keep this civil. I appreciate the vote of confidence natchitoches, but no need to jump on to Gator like that. If you haven't studied Texas pieces, especially the ones made from the Root Beer Flint, then you wouldn't know that the hinge fractures are common on them. I used to feel just like he did until I got some and studied them.

I actually have a couple of pieces I have found here in southern Ohio that still have the hinge fractures on them.
 
Its all good.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom