What's new

Authentic Texas Artifacts

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw on another thread were there was some questions regarding hinge fractures and flat spots on Texas artifacts and that they were repros. Well, even though I am from Ohio I have been studying and collecting Texas artifacts for a few years now and I can tell you that finding hinge fractures and flat spots on Texas artifacts is not that unusual, especially pieces from the lower sections of the state. They just don't get the freeze and thaw like we do up north so the hinge fractures don't pop off like they do in other places. Also, finding the smaller points with a flat side is not uncommon either since they used a lot of flakes to make their smaller points, especially the Perdiz types and I will show pictures of some of those and some pieces with still intact hinge fractures.

Here are some of my Texas Points that I know are authentic and you can see the hinge fractures that are still on them. It is more prevelant on the Root Beer Flint, but is also on some of the others types of material as well.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0059.webp
    DSC_0059.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0060.webp
    DSC_0060.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0062.webp
    DSC_0062.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0068.webp
    DSC_0068.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_0069.webp
    DSC_0069.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0072.webp
    DSC_0072.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0075.webp
    DSC_0075.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0081.webp
    DSC_0081.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0083.webp
    DSC_0083.webp
    32 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0084.webp
    DSC_0084.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0088.webp
    DSC_0088.webp
    60.3 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_0094 - Copy.webp
    DSC_0094 - Copy.webp
    60.7 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0099.webp
    DSC_0099.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0
Here are some pictures of some of the smaller Points with flat spots on them. These are all the Perdiz types. These Points are usually thin as a dime as you can see from the side shots.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0063.webp
    DSC_0063.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0065.webp
    DSC_0065.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0067.webp
    DSC_0067.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0073.webp
    DSC_0073.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0070.webp
    DSC_0070.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0071.webp
    DSC_0071.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0074.webp
    DSC_0074.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 224
You tell em partner. Had nearly every one of those larger points that were found on ranches in the Texas Hill Country or IN San Antonio. Lost the zeal and am too lazy to pick them up now. Passed the good locations on to a member on treasure net. Gave all the points to the UT San Antonio anthropology dept. when I started getting old. Can't take them with me...
 
I'm not going to start a pissing match with you..but..as far as photos can show I see evedence of wear and age on all that you just posted Steve. Whether its in the notches from hafting or the edge from use and. Nature combined. Are those not things to look at with your magnifier when you inspect a point? I'm sure they are and I'm sure you did. As do and did I
 
Good post. Nice points as well. Hinge fractures are not uncommon even on paleo items even when they do freeze especially hornstone. I often wonder if it is just theory that a hinge fracture will pop off in freezing temps. I should wet and freeze some and see what happens. Is it proven that hinge fractures pop off Steve? I mean it is either there or gone right ? I have several flat sided ones.
HH
TnMtns
 
austin said:
You tell em partner. Had nearly every one of those larger points that were found on ranches in the Texas Hill Country or IN San Antonio. Lost the zeal and am too lazy to pick them up now. Passed the good locations on to a member on treasure net. Gave all the points to the UT San Antonio anthropology dept. when I started getting old. Can't take them with me...

Come on are you really starting a thread to gang me? You know as well as I do this is just computer chat and a moderator will step in. If you guys think I'm a bit much on here you would probably flip if there were no moderators or computers to keep it all nice and safe.
 
No one is trying to gang up on you Gator. I was just trying to educate you and others on Texas artifacts. Just because they have hinge fractures, are flat, and have no obvious wear on them does not make them fake or repros. I have seen pieces that have come straight out of ground that look like they were made yesterday. It is a completely different animal in the southern regions and the hill country of Texas.

I understand where you are coming from because I too thought the same thing a few years back but after studying Texas artifacts for a few years I can now see that those qualities on a Point don't necessarily mean a fake Point.
 
What criteria do you use when considering south Texas points?
 
I'm interested because you are discounting nearly everything besides find it yourself...please edjucate away.
 
It's hard to explain, but you basically just have to study the Points from the area and get a feel of what to look for. Seeing fresh flakes, flat spots, or hinge fractures doesn't always mean a fake Point. While doing my states collection I first acquired a lot of broken and damaged pieces so I could study them before I started trading and buying Texas pieces. You have to look at notching styles, resharpening techniques, and flaking styles to see the difference in good or bad Texas pieces. I guess really good knappers could fake a Texas Point, but I bought only from people I trusted 100% and most of what I bought I actually saw in situs of the finds.
 
I forgot you were the one who bought that fire-popped Frio with the "eyes," love that point.
 
I forgot you were the one who bought that fire-popped Frio with the "eyes," love that point.


Me too scotto. That's one of my favorite out of all the Texas pieces I have.

It too has fresh hinge fractures and is flat on one side but is no doubt a good Point.
 
Could any of that be done using photos alone...that is rhetorical. My point is I'm the only one who posted photos of the ones I now have and also had them in my hand ..ok enough about me..this is a good subject. Although you did start this thread by almost exactly quoting the conversation we had via. Personal message. And the first reply was " YOU TELL'EM PARTNER"
 
Last edited:
I know that and I did tell you I was going to post some pictures to show you what I was referring to. I didn't do this as an attack on you. I admire your knowledge of artifacts and I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way about Texas artifacts until I started studying them and collecting them. I thought they were fake as well because of the hinge fractures and flat spots, but that is just a common trait on southern Texas Points and those from the hill country.

I didn't do this to show you or anyone else up or to make you look bad. I only did it to help educate you and others on the difference in Texas pieces from pieces from other areas. I suggest you keep the ones rock sent you and study them because from what I saw in your pictures they are good pieces. If you want, post some more pics of them here so we can see what you are saying about them. Try to get better close of pics of the hinge fractures and flat spots if you can.

Thanks.
 
Here are some pics of my best tray of Texas artifacts. I have two other trays but they are mostly broken or damaged pieces.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0103.webp
    DSC_0103.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0112.webp
    DSC_0112.webp
    63.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0111.webp
    DSC_0111.webp
    65.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0110.webp
    DSC_0110.webp
    65.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0115.webp
    DSC_0115.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0114.webp
    DSC_0114.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0113.webp
    DSC_0113.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 139
Honestly Steve I can see that heading south pretty quickly on here. Lets keep it general info for now. I will.....post those again just not yet.
 
That's cool. I apologize if you thought I was calling you out. That wasn't my intention here.
 
I am staying out of it cause it was given to me as a gift and I enjoyed them and thought he might enjoy them as well.
 
when someone who been hunting artifacts. 2 times longer than than you been alive.
you mite want to just shut up and hear what he saying.
 
Who the .... are you talking to? If its me that would make him over 80 years old .... shut up...nah.. Mabey take your own advice.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom