old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day today while looking for artifacts. I am quite sure that the first one is a Eden point, although it is missing the tip and also has a chip along the edge, it was made from some awesome material. The second one is also a real ''heartbreaker''. It looks like the base of a Midland point. I just may have to go back and see if I can find the top half, since the break appears to be somewhat a fresh break.

Folder #1 406.JPG In situ.

Folder #1 413.JPG

I found this one only about 4 feet from the one above. Sorry but in the excitement of finding the first one I forgot to get an ''in situ'' photo.

Folder #1 411.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee... I wonder who that friend was who typed it a Agate Basin..and said there were more....A bird also told me that he also said it was Chalcedony.......:laughing7: nice new pics of the oblique transverse flaking..........................

Must have been that little birdie on the insulated copper wire! lol!

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
If McKean Lanceolate wouldn't the maximum breath, with curved sides be below the mid point, as the agate basin's maximum breath be above the mid point.

Not necessarily. Here’s an image of a McKean Lanceolate from the type site.
Does this one fit your description? The point is I was only suggesting McKean
as another possibility because of its small size but doubt that is what it is.

Previous to this post I did not have access to my references as I was on the road.
Because of your point’s smaller size I was not ready to say it was an Angostura.
Also, the lateral basal edges look rough so I cannot tell if they are or were ground
at one time …can you tell? With its oblique flaking and slight concave base this
suggests Angostura to me rather than Agate Basin, and although it is a smaller
specimen it will still fit in with Angostura examples from known Plains archaeological sites.
If Angostura then its age is 9000 BP – 7000 BP.

Attachments

• McKeanLanceloteTS.jpg
    McKeanLanceloteTS.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread