old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day today while looking for artifacts. I am quite sure that the first one is a Eden point, although it is missing the tip and also has a chip along the edge, it was made from some awesome material. The second one is also a real ''heartbreaker''. It looks like the base of a Midland point. I just may have to go back and see if I can find the top half, since the break appears to be somewhat a fresh break.

Folder #1 406.JPG In situ.

Folder #1 413.JPG

I found this one only about 4 feet from the one above. Sorry but in the excitement of finding the first one I forgot to get an ''in situ'' photo.

Folder #1 411.JPG

Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics old digger.

After looking at this last set of pictures and with the point being as small as it is, this one may be a well-made McKean Lanceolate.
Perhaps some other northern Plains hunters can provide their opinions.

If McKean Lanceolate wouldn't the maximum breath, with curved sides be below the mid point, as the agate basin's maximum breath be above the mid point.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know for sure but it resembles an opalized quartz.
That's a very nice piece there old digger,:thumbsup: not sure myself of the material but I can say around here it does not show up much at all. I'd even call it rare for here as out of all my stuff I've only got 1 little ragged point that was made from it.Clean pieces of this material I've seen, makes for some nice looking points.My little piece has a lot of ugly places in it but I do believe it's the same type of material.I've got a bad habit of not worring so much on what they are made from but just finding them.:happysmiley: I guess one day I'll have time to try & understand the different types of material.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice piece there old digger,:thumbsup: not sure myself of the material but I can say around here it does not show up much at all. I'd even call it rare for here as out of all my stuff I've only got 1 little ragged point that was made from it.Clean pieces of this material I've seen, makes for some nice looking points.My little piece has a lot of ugly places in it but I do believe it's the same type of material.I've got a bad habit of not worring so much on what they are made from but just finding them.:happysmiley: I guess one day I'll have time to try & understand the different types of material.
Take Care,

Thanks, and I agree that your material is a lot similar. I always look forward to finding points made of this type of material. Here is another point that I have that is made of the same material, but manufactured quite a few years later. Thanks for sharing! :icon_thumright:

Folder #1 282.JPG

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That material is rare any where I beleive.I have few pieces of it.Seems we only see it,mid Great Basin North

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of white flint before. Havent found any though.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad always called it Chalcedony but not sure what it is?

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to go, but I will post a core of this material that I found it the vicinity of where I found this point.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of that core that I found, There are spots up to a half an acre that this quartz is scattered about. This is just a small piece that I brought back.

Folder #1 001.JPG Folder #1 002.JPG

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: are you saying your piece is quartz?If so....its not what I am referring to

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad always called it Chalcedony but not sure what it is?

I believe your Dad was correct ... on yours anyway.
I think they are both the same material. ..but that's just me.
Nice finds either way OldDigger

Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are right kuger this material I'm talking about & is in the photo's(points) is a very nice material.I've got boocoo's(SPELLING) of quartz points none even come close to this type of material.I've seen enough quartz I would doubt it to be that.My quartz points never show the flaking & work as well as this material does.
Take Care,

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice find Digger. It looks similar the guilford points that are found here. I know the guilford is not supposed to be in your area. The lithic is crazy nice. I'm not going to even guess what it is, because a guess is all it would be. I like those spots of deeper white in the stone.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I am sure about is that if the material is clear like gator's example or somewhat cloudy like mine,when they exhibit that opalescent color they sure are pretty and I would tend to also agree with timekiller's dad as it being Chalcedony.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
All I am sure about is that if the material is clear like gator's example or somewhat cloudy like mine,when they exhibit that opalescent color they sure are pretty and I would tend to also agree with timekiller's dad as it being Chalcedony.

I think that was Kuger's dad. Lol! No biggie.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee... I wonder who that friend was who typed it a Agate Basin..and said there were more....A bird also told me that he also said it was Chalcedony.......:laughing7: nice new pics of the oblique transverse flaking..........................

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is the age of it then?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread