What's new

AWESOME!

John Winter

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2014
Messages
527
Reaction score
381
Golden Thread
0
Location
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins

Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?
 
Sorry dude, but your post is not AWESOME!
 
Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?

Super awesome.
 
I'm sorry but AWESOME is in the eye of the beholder.
Have an Awesome day now.
 
awesome would be anything spectacular in my eyes, not everyone has access to ancient gold or roman relics. to each his own perspective of what is what
 
Bloomin chuffin awesome button!
 
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins

Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?

How about "off the chain"?

Wayne
 
UNBELIEVEABLE stands far and above awesome!Of course all"yanks" know the kings english is a mess anyway. Case in point,first "limey" I was stationed with ask me if I wanted to "go get pissed",well,my buddy slugged him! 'Thought he wanted to fight!LOL

Wade
 
Sorry John Winter, but you may detect for the wrong reason.
I recently found a simple button that I've been searching for, for 5yrs. A local button at that. I now consider it to be one of my best finds; EVER! It's totally AWSOME!!!
Peace
 
Sorry but the grammar monitors are off on sabbatical. Check back in a couple of years and awesome may have been banned in favor of "epic ", "keen" or "wizz bang".
 
John Winter: "Awesome" is American vernacular that evolved from the surfer culture in California in that 1970's. As with most fads and trends, they originate in California and migrate eastward, but its just that - vernacular. Since the population of this forum is primarily American, it is understandable that you will probably encounter a lot of it. One thing is for certain over here - we can definitely find a lot of ways to describe something! :laughing7:
 
Awesome is in the eye of the beholder…….and so we have the option of not reading whatever posts contain words offensive to Limey sensitivities…...
 
Heck Yeah, its Awesome!
Many years ago with my detector, I found the copper hammer that my father lost, which belonged to his father, he spent weeks looking for it as a boy, I found it in 5 minutes with better technology..only thing that came to mind when I did ?


Mike

PS Grandpas hammer!
View attachment 1047309
 
Last edited:
Uber awesome.
 
John Winter said:
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?
just for you buddy, I said someone's find was awesome today!
 
You can't take anyone seriously if all they can think to say are platitudes. Back in the John Denver
years people went around hollering FAAR OOUT! Now it's AWESOME DUDE!
 
My grandfather had a hammer like that, and it was used to knock the lids off milk cans at his dairy farm, and yes, gramp was AWESOME !
 
Lets change "BANNER" to "AWSOME"
 
May I be permitted to say that I think that 'awesome' is a word over-used on here and has a lot of its original meaning. I've just read a post where a couple of people have described buttons as 'awesome'. They are NOT 'awesome'. My mates unearthing of 85 gold Celtic staters might qualify as 'awesome', but then I am not so sure. The Grand Canyon is truly 'awesome' (for example). This is 'awesome' BBC News - Jersey hoard: Archaeologists unpick 70,000 coins

Sorry guys, this is a word that grates on my tender Limey sensibilities. What word are you going to use when something truly 'awesome' is found?

John, what you fail to realize is the word is directed from the point of view of the viewer. It is mainly influenced by what he has seen in life so far. The words use is not only a reflection of the object, but also the viewer.
Hay, jest an American view. Frank...- five star.webp
111-2 de Vinci.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom