What's new

Ax Axe Hatchet Tomahawk ?

HyHoSilver

Greenie
Joined
Aug 17, 2014
Messages
10
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Researching this item to see if anyone knows anything about it.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    353.9 KB · Views: 250
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    233.9 KB · Views: 216
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    220.3 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 0
thats a tough one,looks old to me and can not really see any kind of modern tool marks,where did it come from?
 
Do you know any basic info. on this piece? If it is Native American, it's a museum piece. That's all I know!! Nice looking piece!
 
Well something as important as that I wouldn't be able to give a guess on it from the view of my comp. That would have to be looked at in hand with a scope. Looks like a Monolithic Ax type but I did say looks. Like everyone else lets here some details on it, rock
 
will post more pics tonight. as close up as possible.
 
Need more info, the bit or blade looks like a celt. Is it stone or iron?
 
You could do some close ups but the fact is I or anyone else would have to examine it in hand. There is something you have to look for to be sure it isn't a reproduction piece. Did you find it or buy it? What state? Stone or metal? Those are the type of answers we need before anyone could know.
 
looks like it is all one peice carved out of soap stone. In another post he mentioned he bought it at an estate sale.
 
Last edited:
Need to wash it. Wont hurt it with some water and a soft brush.
 
I keep coming back to this thread, hoping someone has provided something. Still nada! Just my 2 cents here.... my very worthless 2 cents. The engraving on the handle seems to lack patina, does it not? I can't help but believe this is an old piece. However, I don't think it's prehistoric "old". I have a Celt with a bird engraved on it. My Celt is authentic, the bird... I sorta doubt. I have heard engraving native artifacts was popular in the 1800's. I have a gut feeling this piece was made by someone that enjoyed altering authentic artifacts, back in those days. I hope I'm wrong, and probably am. Good luck. I'll keep popping in to see what others say.
 
HyHoSilver, what area of the US did you find this? you said it was part of a bigger collection, was it a local collection or did the person collect from all over? more info would help all of us.

this is what I found

The Southeastern Monolithic Axe

On another page i found that There are only 28 documented pieces but hundreds of replicas in the market.

when i say soapstone i mean steatite , try googling "Steatite Hatchet"
 
thats a tough one,looks old to me and can not really see any kind of modern tool marks,where did it come from?

Thank You for your answer:
Item is now on Ebay Auction #261565736993.. im not a collector. hope it goes to a good home.
 
Thank You for your answer:
Item is now on Ebay Auction #261565736993.. im not a collector. hope it goes to a good home.
 
Thank You for your answer:
Item is now on Ebay Auction #261565736993.. im not a collector. hope it goes to a good home.
 
Thank You for your answer:
Item is now on Ebay Auction #261565736993.. im not a collector. hope it goes to a good home.
 
Thank You for your answer:
Item is now on Ebay Auction #261565736993.. im not a collector. hope it goes to a good home.
 
i can not believe this post
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom