Axe Head - Did I Clean it too much or not enough! ;)

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
OK, so I do not really get out much to dig, but I do go out in my woods once in a while just to get rid of the itch!

Well, as always I found a bunch of junk. One of the items was an Axe head. I started cleaning it up a little and I am at the point where I cannot tell if I have cleaned it too much or if I should keep going. No matter what I do I really like how the Axe head looks and feels already!!

I have no idea how old it is but it was REALLY rusty. I will just let you take a look at the pictures and give me your feedback. I thank all of you in advance, I am one of those everyday visitors who does not post very much. Every last one of you give me hours of entertainment each week :) Thank you.

Here it is just getting hit with the hose after it was dug up.
Axe.jpg

After a few Zaps and a little scrubbing.
Axe1.jpg

After a few more Zaps and even more scrubbing ;)
Axe2.jpg

Here is a top (or bottom) view.
Axe3.jpg

And one more just to give a size.
Axe4.jpg

Now I have cleaned up some iron (i.e. horseshoes etc.) and they are usually pitted but come out pretty clean. This Axe is weird because it is almost as though there is still crust in certain areas (the darker sections in the pictures) and then there is a nice shiny area that the metal looks like wood grain. And you cannot really see it with the pictures, but on the ends you can see the "grain" of the metal in the same shape as the hole for the handle.

OK, so do I contiunue to try and clean down to the bright silvery grainy metal section or leave it as is?

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to make sure you remove as much of the rusted metal as possible, to keep it from continuing to rust away.  I'd take a wire brush or long dremel attachment and go over the inside of the thing, too.  Outside looks good. 

I would say that the "grain" in the metal comes from the hammering and/or folding process when such a tool is made.  I have also found items that had that look to them after electrolysis. 

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd stick to electrolysis and just peeling off the pieces so you don't have the grey scrapes.

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Iron Patch said:
I'd stick to electrolysis and just peeling off the pieces so you don't have the grey scrapes.

When you say scrapes are you referring to the darker areas (that look pitted) or the underlying areas that have the "grain" that I was describing? I can assure you that I have not marked any of the actual metal with any of my cleaning :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCMDing said:
Iron Patch said:

When you say scrapes are you referring to the darker areas (that look pitted) or the underlying areas that have the "grain" that I was describing? I can assure you that I have not marked any of the actual metal with any of my cleaning :)

Maybe it was the age difference, but when I cooked my iron several years ago the pieces were completely dark when done, none of the grey metal showing like on your axe. That's why I thought they were scrapes.

OP
OP
SCMDing

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Yea, I thought it was odd too but one of the other posters mentioned they had seen the metal have that wood grain look as well. Where you see the areas that look like scrapes, it was actually these big rust bubbles. After elecrolysis I just tapped the "bubbles" with a plastic hammer and they crumbled away revealing these clean, grainy, shiny metal areas.

When you are holding the axe it really looks cool and what I am describing is real easy to see.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread