What's new

axe head pick

jerseyben

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
5,216
Reaction score
2,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up this axe head at an antiques show this afternoon. It does have some damage, as visible in the pictures.

Thoughts on age and possible region of origin?

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3506.webp
    IMG_3506.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3507.webp
    IMG_3507.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
Nice ax wonder what type of stone it is?
 
Nice ax wonder what type of stone it is?

That's what I would like to know as well. Not any stone I have ever seen before. It has a greenish hue to it.
 
Looks like Green Stone. Did they say where it was found?
 
It could be greenstone. I have been looking for a like example from your area and it seems that the Lenni Lenape or Delaware Indians were making high quality polished stone axes.
Archaic up to contact.I am not an expert on axes but will try to find similar examples from your area. HH
 
Last edited:
Can we see the bit of it? Ive never found one before but your looks nice.
 
That's a nice axe. The material is weird- but I did see some unusual material (axes) at a show down in Dorchester County, MD the other day. Someone will know more, I'm sure. Yak
 
I have seen many old timer collections with many hardstone artifacts in New Jersey as I hunt there myself and have never seen this material type in any of those collections and my findings. The closest i've come is a Northumberland Fluted knife that was made out of this dominant green with black fleck type quartzite and when i found that I had only seen one artifact in buddies collection that resembled that material. I do not think this axe is quartz but if it is that and that same material I could see where being polished like that would bring about that type of look that this axe has. That green and black quartzite is rare in my area......
 
I have seen many old timer collections with many hardstone artifacts in New Jersey as I hunt there myself and have never seen this material type in any of those collections and my findings. The closest i've come is a Northumberland Fluted knife that was made out of this dominant green with black fleck type quartzite and when i found that I had only seen one artifact in buddies collection that resembled that material. I do not think this axe is quartz but if it is that and that same material I could see where being polished like that would bring about that type of look that this axe has. That green and black quartzite is rare in my area......

I have no reason to believe this was found in NJ. According to some very basic research I did, this type of "greenstone" comes from the Northern US and Australia. None of the artifacts I have seen that come from my region look anything like this.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom