Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a small Camelback Daypack, $19.99 at Costco.

smuggy

Greenie
Jul 22, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur/ Excalibur II / Whites PI Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use what's called a Dry Case backpack when I hunt. I often venture far from my start point and it's nice to carry water, lunch, sunscreen and some spare parts /tools / extra battery etc. The Dry Case backpack is waterproof so I can hunt in the rain. Fairly expensive but worth it to me. The only complaint I have is the eyelets are not stainless steel and have begun to rust. H.H.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
ya know? I never thought about using my camelback with a bungee. Awesome idea... The other week I hunted a hard to get spot with about 350 stairs that led to the beach. Coin mine.. Cant say Gold mine yet.... Anyways, I knew I was gonna be in there ALL NIGHT so I brought in some TP, water, some sandwiches, red bull, and my other coil to swap over if I chose to. I used my mine lab pro swing 45 harness as always and I brought in my minicab oversized backpack over that. I hunted w/the backpack on for about an hr. The problem was that sometimes when I'd start to dig out my scoop the handle hit the shoulder strap and it felt like some one was grabbing me from behind. Electric shock would race through me as I thought I was getting attacked for about 1.5 seconds. Then I spent about 5 seconds calming down and feeling like a moron. LMAO... It can get scary hunting at night in pitch darkness regardless of how big boy you are....
I won't be doing a harness AND back pack again.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
If I am in the bush I will have a back pack on that has other tools in it. on the beach I do not use a back pack.

But what is this harness stuff; both my GPZ 7000's came with Harnesses and I thought it was like all the normal crap manufactures give away or MD dealers. Never used a harness, could not even think of what I would need one for.

OP
OP
S

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeepgold... does your CamelBak have a dring? The only ones I can find with a dring are military... within the real CamelBak brand. I found some others based on the above post....This is the harness that I was referring to that was suggested to me.... to basically not use the harness but use the bungee part of it to connect to the d-ring. I love the idea... just trying to figure out what kind of CamelBak to get. That RipCord pack suggested by ColonelDan looks like it could work. 2016-06-19_19-21-56.jpg

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
jeepgold... does your CamelBak have a dring? The only ones I can find with a dring are military... within the real CamelBak brand. I found some others based on the above post....This is the harness that I was referring to that was suggested to me.... to basically not use the harness but use the bungee part of it to connect to the d-ring. I love the idea... just trying to figure out what kind of CamelBak to get. That RipCord pack suggested by ColonelDan looks like it could work. View attachment 1327531

The Ripcord I use (shown at the link) has a good stout D-ring. One of the major reasons I chose this one over others I considered.

Oddjob: I use a harness for all my detectors...even my Deus and for one major reason other than weight and balance. I can let go of the detector and do other things without having to lay it down in the sand or soil. Works for me; your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
S

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ripcord I use (shown at the link) has a good stout D-ring. One of the major reasons I chose this one over others I considered.

Oddjob: I use a harness for all my detectors...even my Deus and for one major reason other than weight and balance. I can let go of the detector and do other things without having to lay it down in the sand or soil. Works for me; your mileage may vary.

I was checking out that ripcord.. its definitely an option. I was reading that some have leaking and mouth piece issues... Did you have those issue? I'm assuming not since you are recommending it... but being able to put the bungee on the d-ring would be great!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never needed a camelback, just carry an extra beer in the side pocket of my shorts

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I was checking out that ripcord.. its definitely an option. I was reading that some have leaking and mouth piece issues... Did you have those issue? I'm assuming not since you are recommending it... but being able to put the bungee on the d-ring would be great!

Never had a leaking issue with the bladder or mouthpiece issue but just for personal convenience, I replaced the bladder with a water bottle for which I fashioned a custom top. I can now just take an ordinary water bottle and screw it into a regular bottle top I modified through which the tube goes and then into the bottle itself. It works great...no more filling the bladder, not more cleaning the bladder, no more bladder hassle...just unscrew the bottle and replace it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a harness for about 9 years. Using a harness allows you to let go of your detector if needed with out it falling, I can use both hands on my scoop in the water if needed and my detector hangs by my side, controls up, coil down. It also takes all the weight and stress off your arm.

Like Dan I use a camelpac and connect harness to it via d-ring..

OP
OP
S

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a leaking issue with the bladder or mouthpiece issue but just for personal convenience, I replaced the bladder with a water bottle for which I fashioned a custom top. I can now just take an ordinary water bottle and screw it into a regular bottle top I modified through which the tube goes and then into the bottle itself. It works great...no more filling the bladder, not more cleaning the bladder, no more bladder hassle...just unscrew the bottle and replace it.

Can you post a picture of your setup? At that rate I'm thinking of just finding a light backpack with a d-ring on the shoulder and I can put water and other odds and ends in it.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Not sure about the D. I'd have to look . The one thing that I really like about my ProSwing 45 is the S thing. It takes all of the tension and weight off of your arm and puts on your shoulders and upper back. I can swing a 17" coiled CTX for 10 hrs. It also has all kinds of spots for clips and stuff. The summer heat is hear so I need to think about hydration also. Perhaps I'll throw a camel pack on then the harness. Nether are that heavy.

OP
OP
S

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you all using the backpack when in the water? Colonel Dan does it dry out decent enough? I was looking at the minelab sling 45 as well... Trying to figure out what to use across the board... I like the Colonel Dan backpack... My arm is getting tired so I have to get serious about a solution here...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you all using the backpack when in the water? Colonel Dan does it dry out decent enough? I was looking at the minelab sling 45 as well... Trying to figure out what to use across the board... I like the Colonel Dan backpack... My arm is getting tired so I have to get serious about a solution here...

Yes I hunt in the water with my camelpac that has bungee for my detector as my harness, I would be reluctant to use the Minelab pro sling 45 due to it's cost. If salt water ruins my camelpac I can buy another for $20.....

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:

Yes, I use my ripcord in all environments and have no issues with it getting wet and drying. Like all my other equipment, I rinse it thoroughly with fresh water after use...especially after being in saltwater.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I use my ripcord in all environments and have no issues with it getting wet and drying. Like all my other equipment, I rinse it thoroughly with fresh water after use...especially after being in saltwater.
Mine takes a hot shower once I return home..🍺

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Shinythings: "I was looking at the minelab sling 45 as well..."

The Minelab Pro Swing 45 is certainly a quality product...no question. The only shortcoming, for me anyway, is the lack of a water pouch and compartments--both of which the Ripcord has in abundance. I store my wallet, car keys and phone in water proof heavy gauge zip lock bags and keep them in the Ripcord's zippered pocket that is located high on my back and they have never gotten wet.

OP
OP
S

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.. I ordered the rip cord... now just need to order the harness part. I'll go out next week and grab that from kellyco.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread