Back to our early 1800s farm site.... 1819 LARGE CENT!! possible error coin?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a hunt at our early 1800s farm site with my buddy today (FatTony315). I dug a lot of targets...a lot of junk. I thought I was going to have to settle for a few horse tack buckles and several rusty pieces of iron when I got a fairly good hit (65 VDI on the VX3) in the side yard of the house that was pinpointing at about 4 inches deep. The coin must have been on edge because the large cents are usually high 70s to mid 80s on the VDI on this machine. I was definitely happy to see a large copper coin pop out of the side of the hole. I scooped it out of the hole and threw it onto my towel for a picture.

011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG

It still has a bit of detail on it and turned out to be an 1819 Matron Head LC. On the reverse where it says one cent the "O" in the one cent seems to be very weakly struck. It almost looks like there is a very weakly struck "S" there that is slightly higher than the N and the E.

016.JPG 021.JPG

I also found a portion of a crotal bell that has half of the makers mark on it so maybe I'll be able to date it.

018.JPG

The only other coin I found today was a 1934 wheatie.

019.JPG

Here;s a compilation picture of todays finds.

017.JPG

Thanks for looking and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 9

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , the S is clearly visible - gotta be a rare error ! excellent find !! please keep this thread bumped up to the top so enough
people can see this to properly nail down the variation/value .
Thanks for the response. It's definitely visible. I understand some of the responses... like grease/debris filled dies..post mint damage.. etc. But I just can't see any evidence of an "O" or remnants of someone defacing an "O". Even if it was a minor die error... is that something that would have any additional value more so than a ground found large cent?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to Coinfacts website, Large cent varieties, and under 1819, Newcomb-6, you'll see that the "0" is very light in the strike. I think you'll find after a qualified numisist examines it, that whatever is over the "0", it was done after minting. Not trying to discount the coin, just more than likely, what the outcome will be.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to Coinfacts ebsite, Large cent varieties, and under 1819, Newcomb-6, you'll see that the "0" is very light in the strike. I think you'll find after a qualified numisist examines it, that whatever is over the "0", it was done after minting. Not trying to discount the coin, just more than likely, what the outcome will be.
Thanks Hogge. I will definitely have someone give it a look. It's nice to think that something like this could be great but it could just be a minor abnormality. Thanks for the help with the attribution. :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Hogge on don't get overly excited about the coin. Not positive it is a N.6, regardless I do not see a S, I see something but not a S. I suggest perhaps sending good photos to Tom Deck from that Large Cent website I use for showing samples of varieties, he might have a better collectors view on the coin. Tom Deck <[email protected]>

Attachments

• 021EV.jpg
    021EV.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Hogge on don't get overly excited about the coin. Not positive it is a N.6, regardless I do not see a S, I see something but not a S. I suggest perhaps sending good photos to Tom Deck from that Large Cent website I use for showing samples of varieties, he might have a better collectors view on the coin. Tom Deck <[email protected]>
Thanks for the reply and the recommendation to talk to Tom. I thought it was strange that you couldn't see an "S" Don. I was pretty sure it was clear in the original unmagnified picture. I've always appreciated your knowledge on copper coins and attributions... Hogge has always had some great info as well. You guys are always very quick to help people with ID's and attributions. I will definitely email Tom and see what his ideas are on this. Thanks for your help Don.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a closer look, I'll stay with N.6. Looked at the N.9 but the position of both of the "1"'s in the date aren't right. Obverse N.6 was also used on the N.5 but the reverse is wrong there.

Last edited:

wetrock

Feb 4, 2009
TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garret AT-Pro, GTI 2500 & 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it's an N6. I think what your seeing is the lower half of the "s" is actually the top right of the weak O. I think the top half of your "s" could very well just be uneven corrosion. It wasn't uncommon for that area around the O in ONE and the C in CENT to appear weak on the early years of Matron Head large cents.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding copper and well perserved and other finds are cool. When in doubt dig away and it looks like you did!

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice ! My wife was tellling me at her work in reference to mint errors , they received a roll of new pennys in which 20 of them had large letters covering the back with various letters and her boss took them back to the bank and the bank threw them away .... errrrr I hated to hear that ....could have been some easy money .... But nice score on the L.C never get tired of finding those

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a filled die or the "O" may just have flaked off. I see a nice rein guide there next to the spoons. Is that a rosette there in your hand as well?
Yes Erik. I believe it is. There is no detail on it but judging by the back it seems like it had gold gilt at one point. I'm pretty sure its copper... it read a solid 86 on my VX3.

mclean

Jul 21, 2013
Scotland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1819 silver half crown 001.jpg 1819 silver half crown 002.jpg

Found this coin today, it looks silver and has 1819 on it. it's British but not in great condition, do you think it will be worth anything.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 847208 View attachment 847209

Found this coin today, it looks silver and has 1819 on it. it's British but not in great condition, do you think it will be worth anything.
Very strange. It seems like it should be copper... but almost seems like it was silver plated... Maybe a possible counterfeit?... If you post it in the "what is it?" forum or in the today"s finds as its own thread you'll get alot more views and someone here will be able to shed more light on it. Interesting find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Evolution. You came out with a super piece after all. Nice relics.

Mclean post your find in a separate post or in the "What is it section" please

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions