Bad Luck, Good Luck, Mud-Kissed, Bucket List!

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh, it's my first hunt of the year!

10 minutes in... SNAP!

IMG_6421.jpg

Ah, well. It happens. Happened to my Garrett and now it happened to my Nox800. Maybe I can buy a stronger after-market cuff, as I did with my AT-Pro? Whatever. Hey, I go hard on things. What kind of life are you living if you can't break sh*t now and then?

Ever hunt with a broken forearm support? It's really not fun! Messes up your swing. But the day was beautiful and so I kept on going, at least for a little while.

15 minutes later, I'm running a long line, trying to keep straight by using a discarded can off in the distance. Normally I don't deal with any garbage I didn't dig myself, but it's a can, so when I get to it I pick it up.

A few steps after that, I hit a 30-31 target. Steady as hell from every direction, but DEEP. Way deep. Maxed out my 800's depth-meter on every swing, which is good now after the software upgrade.

If this is my first ever barber quarter, I tell myself, then I know the metal detecting gods are smiling on me. So I dig a nice wide plug, and sure enough...

quater-front.jpg quarter-back.jpg

NICE! I even broke into the 1800's with it!

So yeah, what's the recipe for getting the grey/stain off this thing? Baking soda/tin foil/salt/boiling water? I don't need to turn the whole thing silver, but I'd like to at least get the sludge off the higher points. Kinda like my first barber dime, which just rubbed beautifully clean for the most part:

barberdime1.jpg

UPDATE:

Here it is fully cleaned, and after I spent all last night rubbing it lovingly between my fingers while watching television. :)

IMG_6446.jpg IMG_6445.jpg

Thanks in advance for the advice! GL and HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 14

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. Warm up some salty water. Cup up a piece of tin foil. Add water and press foil against both sides of coin. Remove and lightly rub with your finger while under running water. Works for me while still leaving some patina on it. 1854 quarter before and after

Attachments

• A1A4726F-5241-44D0-B634-EA93E68E8FD2.jpeg
    A1A4726F-5241-44D0-B634-EA93E68E8FD2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93
  • 0641F995-C5D3-4767-B76B-A70DB0F9E2F8.jpeg
    0641F995-C5D3-4767-B76B-A70DB0F9E2F8.jpeg
    871.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Warm up some salty water. Cup up a piece of tin foil. Add water and press foil against both sides of coin. Remove and lightly rub with your finger while under running water. Works for me while still leaving some patina on it. 1854 quarter before and after

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

Just dont leave it in foil too long. You can always repeat the steps but you cant goback if you burnt it up by leaving it in too long

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is cleaned. Back's prettier than the front, but that's just the way the coin lay in the soil:

cleaned-front.jpg cleaned-back.jpg

So glad to finally get the Barber Quarter monkey off my back!

Now to find a half...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find sorry about your machine Garrett would have one on its way to you no questions asked I would hope Minelab is the same.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice Barber! :occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver!!!! Sorry about the snap.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh, it's my first hunt of the year!

10 minutes in... SNAP!

View attachment 1668087

Ah, well. It happens. Happened to my Garrett and now it happened to my Nox800. Maybe I can buy a stronger after-market cuff, as I did with my AT-Pro? Whatever. Hey, I go hard on things. What kind of life are you living if you can't break sh*t now and then?

Ever hunt with a broken forearm support? It's really not fun! Messes up your swing. But the day was beautiful and so I kept on going, at least for a little while.

15 minutes later, I'm running a long line, trying to keep straight by using a discarded can off in the distance. Normally I don't deal with any garbage I didn't dig myself, but it's a can, so when I get to it I pick it up.

A few steps after that, I hit a 30-31 target. Steady as hell from every direction, but DEEP. Way deep. Maxed out my 800's depth-meter on every swing, which is good now after the software upgrade.

If this is my first ever barber quarter, I tell myself, then I know the metal detecting gods are smiling on me. So I dig a nice wide plug, and sure enough...

View attachment 1668093 View attachment 1668095

NICE! I even broke into the 1800's with it!

So yeah, what's the recipe for getting the grey/stain off this thing? Baking soda/tin foil/salt/boiling water? I don't need to turn the whole thing silver, but I'd like to at least get the sludge off the higher points. Kinda like my first barber dime, which just rubbed beautifully clean for the most part:

View attachment 1668098

Thanks in advance for the advice! GL and HH!

I've never tried the method with salt but I recently did the foil, baking soda, boiling water method on a silver dollar. The results were excellent with only one treatment. After the treatment I took a q-tip and worked on the dark areas and it looks pretty much perfect in my eyes and doesn't look artificially shiny. Congrats on the great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread