Bad Neighbor Hoods (Gang Land)

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is ashamed that there are some neighborhoods close to my town where several sites, including a school that dates back to the turn of the century that has recently closed down and is ripe for detecting can't be detected safely as they are right in the middle of a really bad part of town where you would likely be robbed and possibly beatup or worse so that they could get your detector. I drive by these sites and just know that nobody has detected them in the last 20 years because if they attempted to, they would have risked being robbed or worse. These are the type of neighborhoods where when you drive on the street they are sizing you up and looking for easy victims to prey on. The only foot traffic are protected gang members.

Not much that anyone could ever do about it but I am sure that others have experienced this in big cities as well. Too bad that some of those neighborhoods couldn't somehow be made safe again so that we could detect there. I would even be happy just to get some nice photos of some of these old buildings/sites, but they would take my camera!

:(

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Do you belong to a club???? If so, schedule a club hunt with as many people as you can get and notify the police so they may keep an eye out for you. It would be worth a shot.
Greg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What part of CA are you in? You are right that often-time, the oldest parts of our cities are now in the "blighted" districts ::) I have detected during old-town urban demolition projects right next to heroin sales and prostitution going on. One time, I over-heard a pimp and a lady sizing me up for a roll-job (I guess they thought that I couldn't hear since I was wearing headphones). So believe me, I have hunted "blighted" neighborhoods before.

Or how about the January 2008 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine: The article "the great silver scrape" composed by myself and others, was in a really bad part of San Francisco. One episode that was not included in the article (d/t limited space/text allowed) was a particular night where a major police bust was going on in the neighborhood. We heard gunshots in the neighborhood in the distance, but kept on detecting. A few minutes later, there were thugs running by, then cops, etc... A cop came inside the fenced demo. site we were working and asked "what're YOU doing??" After saying metal detecting", he just rolled his eyes and says "I got more important things to do right now"

My only advise for hitting the blighted districts is to do them in either in full view of traffic (so one one thinks you are an easy prey), or do them in the wee early hours of the morning, when the "homies" are sleeping off their hangovers.

I would imagine the school yards would be an insane junky mess (wino bottle screw caps from all the booze being drunk). So I usually only work these neighborhood if there's some sort of demolition/scrape going on.

S

stefen

Purposely trying to hunt in a known 'Bad Neighborhood' is no different than pouring gasoline on a cats tail...

Use the brains that God gave you and find a healthy area.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
What part of CA are you in? You are right that often-time, the oldest parts of our cities are now in the "blighted" districts ::) I have detected during old-town urban demolition projects right next to heroin sales and prostitution going on. One time, I over-heard a pimp and a lady sizing me up for a roll-job (I guess they thought that I couldn't hear since I was wearing headphones). So believe me, I have hunted "blighted" neighborhoods before.

Or how about the January 2008 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine: The article "the great silver scrape" composed by myself and others, was in a really bad part of San Francisco. One episode that was not included in the article (d/t limited space/text allowed) was a particular night where a major police bust was going on in the neighborhood. We heard gunshots in the neighborhood in the distance, but kept on detecting. A few minutes later, there were thugs running by, then cops, etc... A cop came inside the fenced demo. site we were working and asked "what're YOU doing??" After saying metal detecting", he just rolled his eyes and says "I got more important things to do right now"

My only advise for hitting the blighted districts is to do them in either in full view of traffic (so one one thinks you are an easy prey), or do them in the wee early hours of the morning, when the "homies" are sleeping off their hangovers.

I would imagine the school yards would be an insane junky mess (wino bottle screw caps from all the booze being drunk). So I usually only work these neighborhood if there's some sort of demolition/scrape going on.
You're lucky you weren't in Irvine! The cop would've had your digging tool & probe & you'd be sitting in a unit trying to explain they're not weapons & not intentionally concealed. :D

Used to hunt a couple of parks in Santa Ana, lessee, saw the cops recover a dead transient in a shopping cart, tripped over a drunk (don't ask :-[) witnessed more dope deals than Carters had pink farter starters. Recovered a bunch of knives that were probably ditched when the cops showed up. Found tons of live ammo in the sand pits that the bongers lost out of their pockets. But those were the days when I was young & dumb and the bangers pretty much didn't mess with outsiders unless you really really looked like a victim. :o

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I know the feeling. There are some old neighborhoods and parks that used to be the jewels of the city and now the windows are boarded or the buildings are vacant or burnt out.

I remember some of the parks from when I was a kid (quite a while ago) and how busy they used to be with barbecues, baseball games, hot dog and ice cream vendors with their carts.

These neighborhoods have changed for the worst quite a while before metal detecting became popular, so I know there's a bonanza waiting to be found.

One of these days.....
Mike

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
What part of CA are you in?

I am in East Contra Costa County which overall is not too bad for crime yet. The town I live in "Antioch" is getting pretty bad lately and I won't detect here alone anymore. I feel comfortable TH'ing with a couple of us out here, but the places I am speaking of where I wish I could detect are in Oakland and San Francisco. Especially Oakland, so many old parks and schools but in horrible neighborhoods. These stories above are amazing . . . it sounds like a few of you have already braved some of these spots and survived. I like the idea of going to a site with a whole club. That is about the only way it would ever be possible. I work in law enforcement and could carry a concealed weapon but I am always worried about the badguys you don't see coming up behind you when your on your knees digging. It is simply just not worth the risk. There are plenty of safe spots out there, but I will always drive by these spots and wish that we lived in a world where I wouldn't have to fear for my safety just to detect.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I hunt in a lot of areas like this and it is pretty spooky at times but Im drawn there like amoth to flame because I know the goods are there to be had. The hobby is so addicting Im really not much different than the crackheads that lurk nearby we just get our fix with different drugs. If you like I simply cannot resist the urge there are a few tips to keep in mind. Look the area over well before you start detecting,and if it feels wrong dont go for it. If at all possible take at least one buddy with you. Early mornings are always the best time from 6 or 7 to 9 or 10 AM,any later and you are looking for trouble. I never hunt any dangerous spot for very long,30-40 mins tops and Im rolling to another spot,the goods will still be there next time around and there are plenty of spots. My ideal hunting buddy is a cop,we could roll up in his cruiser,hunt anywhere we like for as long as we wish. I work nights a lot and would love to be able to hunt safely at night. If anyone is a cop around Indy and need a buddy PM me anytime,I have extra detectors,tons of patience to help you learn if you are new,I can get away on short notice and know of many interesting but dangerous spots.

Hunter-Gatherer

Greenie
May 5, 2008
Flint MI
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster II
I am a woman and I hunt in areas like this, perhaps they aren't as bad as you guys described, though.

We have a doberman pinscher, so i just take her with me and keep her close-by. She would tear the head off anybody who would dare to mess with the food supply (the one who feeds her everyday!)

Let me tell you, when she gets upset it's a sight to see! She can be ferocious and she stays wound up for quit a while! This system seems to work for me, and keeps me safe.

mellowcheddar

Aug 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
BeachBumm, I feel you 110%!
Cleveland (aka Thieveland, by the way) has been hit very, very hard by the forclosure crisis. Neighbourhoods that were only dicey have become devoid of anything resembleing (sp?) decent human beings. 2 blocks from my house a boy was found dead in the bushes in front of his house after he'd been missing 24 hours. Just 20 years ago when I was less than 10 I was allowed to walk to my aunt's house on the very next block.
I could rant for hours on this topic but I'll save my cyber-breath. I cut plugs with an old paring knife that I keep sharp. I also have mace even though that's 'cos I go to school across the street from the projects. My dog Marvin would probably get bored if I took him hunting tho that's a good idea. A 110 # Lab mix still scares the snot out of about 85% of the people-garbage.
Oh well. B**** gripe moan.
~mellowcheddar~

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I love Dobes, we bred them for a little longer than 10 years & had a Blue male &
1 red & 1 black female. I know a dobe will normally hold it's own against most dogs,
including pit bulls. But it's still not worth it, they come along with a couple of pits or
just plain shoot your dog. They won't care if there is something to gain, your detector, wallet, car or whatever. I have a permit to carry & sometimes do, but I'll avoid having to use it at all costs. Hunt elsewhere or wait a few years & they will destroy the housing there & move on.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Where a crime scene investgators vest..With a big knife on your belt.Just kidding :laughing7:
I hunt in long beach sometimes and with my gear on, yes I have a hunting blade and long screwdriver on my belt and have not had a problem. And if the cops can't figure out that you are just Mding....then they just wanted to harass you. I don't conceal nothing.....With a knife and long screw driver I don't think anyone with bad intentions will approach you with . 8)

P.S I also carry pepper spray on belt actually animal repelant what's the difference right?

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
When I'm in a bad area, people seem to avoid me while I'm detecting.
It's probally my jacket that says "Bomb Squad" on back. ::)

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
one time in passaic n.j. a fellow was eyeballing my detector.he came up to me and said he can take me to
a place with dinosaur bones and being quick minded he added that they have metal hinges.I said "yea right"
and continued m/d in the open of the park. :laughing11:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Bad neighborhood thoughts

Most drunks & druggies are partying until 2 or 3 AM, so you aren't likely to run into them before 10-11AM.

Having a few people with you will add to your safety. George (MN)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bad neighborhood thoughts

George (MN) said:
Most drunks & druggies are partying until 2 or 3 AM, so you aren't likely to run into them before 10-11AM.

Having a few people with you will add to your safety. George (MN)

Yeah, except for the drunks urinating on the playground equipment at 7 am. Usually call the cops & tell em the guys playing with himself. At least everyone gets a laugh.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to a costume store buy a priest shirt and collar
what turd bird would harm a lamb of god :thumbsup:
and get some of those free propaganda booklets and pass a few out :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread