What's new

Bad, then good then less good - still smiling though!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2015
Messages
1,541
Reaction score
2,553
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to find a old picnic site, hoping for access from the county rail to trail. Hiked in 2 miles to avoid private property, but the topo didn't show the 45% drop from the tracks to county land. No game trails, nada.

Oh well, lovely day, great views, needed the exercise.

Headed over to the 16 acre county park - only pulled 4 memorial cents, and typical trash. Not even some fishing lead.

Headed up the trail for home, I stopped to beep one more spot that has been mowed since I was last there, about 6 steps off trail.

Gosh, got a beep that didn't sound like a nail or tab. One more penny, I'll have a nickle!!!!

While cutting my plug, I hear a boy - "Dad, she found something! Dad,Dad!

In just 2 shakes of a kitty's tail - "Excuse me, what did you find?" Cute little 7-8 y/o boy with little sisters behind him, parents smiling in the rear.

I showed him the Pin Pointer, turned it on and scanned the plug - he heard the buzz, and I broke it open to show a glint of silver - it's a Mercury dime!

His eyes got big, and asked "may I hold it?" Heck, I had to re-scan and fill, show everyone how nice a plug can look. " Sure, but it's dirty" I replied as I handed it to him.

Oops - He helped get the dirt off - Pics coming up.

Oh well - He handed it back smiling - I thanked him, then each of the kids got one of the dug pennies as a memento.

Looks like some damage - him or me, doesn't really matter - perhaps I'll see him out swinging in the Park some day. :)

IMG_0374.webpIMG_0375.webp
 
Upvote 8
huh, the kid sure knew when to pick a semi-key merc! Probably worth $50 to $100! But that's just a two second estimate. Hopefully it wasn't too scratched
 
Most of us will never find the 16-D, but would be thrilled with either of the 1921 Mercs. That's a very, very good find! Congrats!
 
At least he didn't bring out his pocketknife to clean it like my 78 year old neighbor did. Good looking Merc. You spending time with that young'un will stick with him for the good. That's what keeps this hobby going as we elders wither away.
 
Most of us will never find the 16-D, but would be thrilled with either of the 1921 Mercs. That's a very, very good find! Congrats!

Thanks David! Being a beginner MD, never a coin collector, this site has taught me you never know what might come out of the ground, so try to treat them kindly. But seeing the excitement the boy had seeing me dig is priceless. :)
 
Beginning metal detectorist maybe, but you treated the situation perfectly. A true ambassador...well done!

A good tip, is to carry a few sheets of paper towel. When i dig a good find, i give it a quick look without rubbing the dirt off it. Then it is wrapped up and put into the pouch. Makes it fun for later too. As i may know its a silver dime, but not the exact date it was made. Also makes it easier to find in the pouch later.
 
Nice dime save its hard to find those early 20s one out here usually get them in the mid 40s ! :occasion14:
 
Nice find. Congrats on the silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom