Badge ID

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
Found this badge in the backyard by some railroad tracks. It was about 6" down and rang up as 50 cent piece.
Its 2 1/2 long by 1 1/2 wide appears to by silverplated brass. Any ideas to age and wether its a kids toy or real?
Antique dealer down the street seems to think its a railroad police badge from the 30"s. What do you guys think?
Zootman

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 165

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to have slipped on a leather strap (shoulder) or belt. May be very early original from appearances.
Not over decorated so probably a real one. I think a child's or repo, would tend to have more decoration..
Did a brief search but could find nothing. perhaps someone else can come up with something.
DG

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

zootman, might help with ID and/or info if we knew which railroad is nearby. And I think dg39 is correct...a kid's badge would probably be more decorative, or in the shape of a star.

Upvote 0

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
It looks authentic but I just don't know what the origin could be. I really like though, a very cool find.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It appears to be a stock (generic) police badge, as is the one which Tony posted. Note the similarity in design and lettering to this one from a 1912 C. G. Braxmar Co. catalog, which offered the option of customizing it with the name of the town. Also, here is a generic "Constable" badge of similar pattern.
Brax1.JPG Picture 002.jpg Brax2.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions