Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from the bahamas !! Wow !! What a trip we had. I spent 3 weeks fishing tuna, wahoo, and blue marlin !! It was go go go with the fishing and I barley had time to break out the metaldetector. But when I did it was an unbelievable ride !! Im still getting my voice back and licking my wounds. When you find a treasure spill like the one I found you hoot and holler until your voice is gone !! You guys will have to grit your teeth and get through this post it'll probably take a page to explain it all. There's alot to cover. Ill dive right in to the good stuff that came from the far out islands. Here we go !!

Boom baby Portuguese gold, and spanish silver !!
20210524_232612.jpg
20210524_230534.jpg
20210524_230551.jpg
A beautiful 1747 gold reis coin from Brazil, a badly eaten up spanish piece of eight, a 1773or5 big nose piece of eight, and a gorgeous filigree wire silver ring. All these pieces were found in 2 separate 2 hour hunts at low tide on the same beach. My original thinking from talking with locals is that a pirate long boat was dashed to pieces on this incredible shoreline trying to land there treasure. The mix of spanish and Portuguese coinage seems odd but much more research and exploration of this site is needed, and the who, what, and when of this find is driving me nuts with the research....there are some records that make some sense, but I don't want to speculate yet until I hit the books some more.

20210524_202538.jpg

I've dug some great iron in the bahamas and keys but this 20 inch pirate long knife has to be one of my favorites....when I hold this artifact in my hands I can feel my pirate blood boiling to life...it evokes as much emotion as the gold coin does !!

20210524_202530.jpg

I was able to gather up pounds of seaglass, and handfuls of great colorful potsherds for my art projects !!

20210524_202312.jpg

Im an opertunist, and if the detector is not producing I'll lay it aside and start to mudlarking for potsherds and pipe stems !!

I was able to pull a silver or pewter teapot lid while mud larcking an old dump site for potsherds.

20210524_224727.jpg

there was plenty of great ships spikes and copper alloy fasteners along with the ever present lead....the plastic of the olden days !! I got a nice ginger beer on one of my hunts and was happy about it as I never found a whole one before. Other finds included some great flat buttons including a spencers treble gilt backmarck with a greek key motiff

20210520_160258.jpg

At one point my best coin was an 1826 english/bahamian penny

20210520_182414.jpg

a pretty satisfying find...until you hit the silver and gold, and gold fever takes over !! There were harmonica reeds and another type of unidentified musical instrument reed. Im still cleaning and gathering my finds together and I've got plenty of shells too. Found a goats horn, and a boars tusk also while beachcombing for ambergris. Ill post some more pics after work...im currently putting the boat back together after a brutal 14 hour run home in heavy seas.....im battered and beaten but what a trip !! I left all my treasure gear with a fellow t-net member, including my equinox 600, and a nice map with some sites to explore...it was the least I could do for my fellow islander who helped me with transportation and and gave me the best island hospitality that could ever be expected !! I hope to return that island hospitality one day when he visits me in the keys. Ive been more than blessed to grow up both in the bahamas and keys and know many island secerets....hope I'm doing my grandpa justice. He was dual citizen and made sure I respected my bahamian heritage and conch/keys life. Wrecking is alive and well within me and beach combing is in my blood !! Woooo hoooo !! Off to work now....more to come later. Maybe my bahamian friend will make a guest appearance on this thread when he sees it....I hope so !!

20210524_202255.jpg

Oh ya....we caught fish too !!

20210518_102422.jpg 20210518_102345.jpg
IMG_2578.jpeg.jpg
Cheers folks hope you enjoy and are inspired !! Wooo hoooo !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 30
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BEAUTIFUL COIN RUINED.....yes the beautiful piece of eight that was found on my second hunt was ruined during recovery. I had my co worker, great friend, and sometimes treasure hunting partner with me at the spot the second day...our last day !! I got the typical silver signal and could see the edge of this coin jammed and packed into the tightest of cracks in the rocks. I said to him....look..its a piece of eight !! He says are you sure ?? I say YES IM SURE ITS A COIN !! I then say...you work on this target and ill continue to scan in an effort to get the next target as quickly as possible....we have limited time and there could be more...no need for both of us to recover 1 target. He says OK but I think its aluminum. AGAIN I SAY THIS IS NOT ALUMINUM....ITS THE REEDED EDGE OF A PIECE OF EIGHT !! BE CAREFUL !! I move 3 feet away and he snaps the the edge of the coin off...with..get this...fishing pliers. ARRRRGGGHHH !! me in complete disgust took the broken piece and threw it away never to be found again....im sick about all of this. People please.....slow down and take your time....this piece is ruined !! I should have made the recovery and sent him off with the machine !! He knows how bad he fuc.ed up, and has been punishing himself ever since....thats fine with me because I felt like slapping him.....he made it up to me by ordering 2 new equinox 600s since I left mine with sads and was still waiting for a paycheck. He will now be known as capt. Chip a coin !! Its not the end of the world but this coin has such a great treasure coin patina on it....would have been a beautiful coin on a chain !! I may be able to mount it with something tasteful in the bezel design that hides this obvious damage. What a bad mistake by me !! My fault....I should have made the recovery after his second doubt that it was a coin.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame. beautiful finds for sure.

Yes...its quite the shame....oh how sorry I am !! I've been thinking about a tasteful diorama, with some coral or other object hiding the damage....he will have to live with the moniker of captain chip a coin the rest of his life !! 20210529_113753.jpg
I prefer pics like this

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all.

Ain't no bag Bart.
Just tell folks a pirate must have bit a piece out to check if it was counterfeit or not...

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A BEAUTIFUL COIN RUINED.....yes the beautiful piece of eight that was found on my second hunt was ruined during recovery. I had my co worker, great friend, and sometimes treasure hunting partner with me at the spot the second day...our last day !! I got the typical silver signal and could see the edge of this coin jammed and packed into the tightest of cracks in the rocks. I said to him....look..its a piece of eight !! He says are you sure ?? I say YES IM SURE ITS A COIN !! I then say...you work on this target and ill continue to scan in an effort to get the next target as quickly as possible....we have limited time and there could be more...no need for both of us to recover 1 target. He says OK but I think its aluminum. AGAIN I SAY THIS IS NOT ALUMINUM....ITS THE REEDED EDGE OF A PIECE OF EIGHT !! BE CAREFUL !! I move 3 feet away and he snaps the the edge of the coin off...with..get this...fishing pliers. ARRRRGGGHHH !! me in complete disgust took the broken piece and threw it away never to be found again....im sick about all of this. People please.....slow down and take your time....this piece is ruined !! I should have made the recovery and sent him off with the machine !! He knows how bad he fuc.ed up, and has been punishing himself ever since....thats fine with me because I felt like slapping him.....he made it up to me by ordering 2 new equinox 600s since I left mine with sads and was still waiting for a paycheck. He will now be known as capt. Chip a coin !! Its not the end of the world but this coin has such a great treasure coin patina on it....would have been a beautiful coin on a chain !! I may be able to mount it with something tasteful in the bezel design that hides this obvious damage. What a bad mistake by me !! My fault....I should have made the recovery after his second doubt that it was a coin.

I'm sure your friend learned a valuable lesson, but best of all, he's still your friend!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure your friend learned a valuable lesson, but best of all, he's still your friend!

Ya...no need to beat him up about it....he already feels bad enough. We've had some great adventures in the 13 years we've worked together.....I highly doubt he'll ever make that mistake again. He started as a kind of interested type....and now he has at least 2 machines and loves this hobby as much as deer hunting...his main passion. He will have to here stuff like...don't fuc. It up captain chip a coin....from now on !!:laughing7::laughing7:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bart..that sorta sucks...BUT....remember....if it were easy everyone would be doing it right?

Nothing alittle duct tape or wait....even better...some FLEXSEAL!!.... can't fix right?

Best of luck, and the next one will more than make up for it!!

ag

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I felt sick when I read about your friend's failed attempt to recover this historic coin Bart, that's definitely a 'rookie' mistake. What I don't understand is why he tried to recover a find that you had made, with fishing pliers of all things. :icon_scratch: I can certainly appreciate the seriousness of the damage to this piece, but from an esthetics point, it doesn't really look that bad. As you mentioned, "I may be able to mount it with something tasteful in the bezel design that hides this obvious damage."

You have a natural talent for finding pirate treasure my friend and I have no doubt the next Piece of Eight you recover will be in better shape. :thumbsup:
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup its a shame, but ill have to belive ill get another one...im not gonna throw it back in the ocean !! Got lots of nice shells too. Heres a cameo helmet shell, and a small unknown for me...love finding new shells that I have to look up !! 20210531_082015.jpg 20210531_082041.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210531_082806.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures are getting small on me ?? Hmmmm.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can still click on them Bart to expand really nicely!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call that a shell?........lightweight! View attachment 1928891

Kevin im so looking forward to the shell diving season....boss dosent know it yet but I'm gonna teach these guys how to drag for shells....the queen Helmet shell will be the main target...amongst many others. This will get my prot?g? scotty some good up and down freediving. 30-35 will be the cap on helmet shell diving....I can barley see them from that far up anyway. 20190219_142015.jpg some nice shells for dragging in harbor island....good old bottles there also !!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pictures are getting small on me ?? Hmmmm.
I posted a new thread in Today's Finds last night and all of my pics have been reduced to very small sizes as well.
I'm thinking this is a recent modification by Tnet to save memory of their servers. :icon_scratch:

Love those shells Bart, do you sell any of them or do you just put them on a desk and stare at them lovingly? :laughing7:
Dave

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread