Barber Half and an SLQ from wayyyyy down deep.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barber Half and a SLQ from wayyyyy down deep.

Dave_IL and I got one last hunt in at one of our favorite fields this morning...right as the owner was finishing up planting. Unfortunately, it will be the last time we get to hunt it until harvest.
We have been hunting this field for many years, and the last 3 times here, we got nothing to show for it.

I decided to go old school, and get out my Fisher CZ for the first time in years. I also talked Dave into buying one, and his just came in yesterday. We just needed to change things up a bit to bring the excitement back.

I have been hunting for right at 50 years, and I truly feel there is nothing deeper on the planet, than a properly tuned Fisher CZ....and if you are lucky enough to have a Sunray FZ-12" coil to put on the end of it, then you know 12" deep silver coins are not uncommon.

No, I didn't take a pic of the hole with my Predator Raptor Digger buried in it, way past the end of the handle. 1) My battery on my phone was about to crap out...and 2) anybody can dig a deep hole, stick the digger in it, then take a pic.

What I can tell you is that my long time friend and fellow hunter, Dave was there to see it come out, and it was every bit of 13"+ deep.

I was also there to see his SLQ come out from 12"+ deep...and it was found with the stock 8" coil!

First words out of his mouth..."I'm a believer"
(I told him before he ordered it, that CZ's were deep seekers...if he didn't mind digging a little rusty iron on occasion.):laughing7:
Only got a couple of pics of the half before my phone went dead...sorry.??? I like to take all my pics right as the coin comes out of the ground. The funnest part for me is removing just a little of the mud/dirt at a time, and revealing the front and back. It's just not the same to take the pics from home.

Still blessed to be able to take my best friend Hercules along with me when I hunt. He turned 14 a couple of months ago, so not sure how many more hunts he will be able to go on with me, but I will cherish each one he does.

Thanks for reading, and I pray we can all stay safe.

Attachments

• barberhalfdavequarter-850.jpg
    barberhalfdavequarter-850.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 125
  • barberhalf2-850.jpg
    barberhalf2-850.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 94
  • barberhalfjunk-850.jpg
    barberhalfjunk-850.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 96
  • barberhalf1-850.jpg
    barberhalf1-850.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 105
  • barberhalf3-850.jpg
    barberhalf3-850.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Upvote 52

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Congrats on some nice oldies. I also have been detecting for almost 50yrs, started in 1972. I have been using a cz-3d since 2007 and is the only detector I own (2 of them). Have found more 1800's coins with it in 13yrs. than all the other yrs. combined with other detectors. DEEP and easy to set up and use. PS Really like those in-situ pictures.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That SLQ is very nice! Good to see your buddy Hercules can still hunt with you! Thanks for sharing with us. I started TH'ing in 1972 myself.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Hopefully your faithful companion gets to go with you. Awhile back in England there was a detectorist, Land mag, took his dog out with him, he went in the direction where his dog wandered and struck Celtic gold...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the very cool SLQ! :icon_thumleft:

I found a 1917 type 1 SLQ in fine condition in an old farm field about 7 inches with a Simplex on Sunday.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds for you both Bryce! I love the feeling of finding a really deep coin and wondering how many others previously went right by it (sometimes myself included). Hope you and yours are well. Hercules is awesome, BTW!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the deep silver! Did Hercules witness the recovery? He looks completely trustworthy!!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some nice oldies. I also have been detecting for almost 50yrs, started in 1972. I have been using a cz-3d since 2007 and is the only detector I own (2 of them). Have found more 1800's coins with it in 13yrs. than all the other yrs. combined with other detectors. DEEP and easy to set up and use. PS Really like those in-situ pictures.

Hi Mike. Yep, they are deeeep and super easy to set up. I've probably had 10 or more different CZ'z over the years, and kept a supertuned CZ-3D, and a super tuned CZ70Pro. Each of those units has zero problems hitting at dime at 12"+ in our Illinois soil. At my age, I think I'll start using them more because of the hip mount capability. I just can't hunt as long without getting elbow and shoulder pain. I've had several surgeries in just the last year and a half, because of the heavy weight training I do...and also because of the dirt bike riding I still do. The hip mount has opened up new doors for me. Take care.

Nice finds! That SLQ is very nice! Good to see your buddy Hercules can still hunt with you! Thanks for sharing with us. I started TH'ing in 1972 myself.

Hi friend...thanks. Herky has saved my life more times than I can count.

Nice finds! Hopefully your faithful companion gets to go with you. Awhile back in England there was a detectorist, Land mag, took his dog out with him, he went in the direction where his dog wandered and struck Celtic gold...
Thanks, and I would love to stumble onto some buried gold! Herky loves to come along.

Congrats on the very cool SLQ! :icon_thumleft:

I found a 1917 type 1 SLQ in fine condition in an old farm field about 7 inches with a Simplex on Sunday.

Thanks. The SLQ was found by my hunting buddy, but I'll take a Barber half for sure! The SLQ is my favorite coin, but I can't ever pull one with a date.

Great finds for you both Bryce! I love the feeling of finding a really deep coin and wondering how many others previously went right by it (sometimes myself included). Hope you and yours are well. Hercules is awesome, BTW!

Thanks, my friend. I'm sure we have all walked over these two, and in fact I saw my footprints there from 3 days before. :-) Herky is my best friend, and I pray he gets to continue to hunt for a lonnnnng time with me.

That's some deep coins for sure - well done Bryce ! :occasion14:

Thanks my friend. Good to hear from you. I hope you and your family are doing well.

Congrats on the deep silver! Did Hercules witness the recovery? He looks completely trustworthy!!

Thanks. He is definitely trustworthy, and yep, he was there with me to see it.:angel7:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the deep silvers Bryce. My Fisher CZ 5 is my go to detector when I'm in the fields, because I dig everything. I don't mind digging the iron because sometimes its a nice relic, besides the array of coins you may find with it. I use my Minelabs when in parks, woods, or yards. Hope your pal hangs in there with you.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty silver, and nice condition too - if I can see the date on a SLQ I consider it near-mint! :laughing7:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wtg on the big silver and deep one at that. Congrats on some fine detecting.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Standing liberty and a Barber Half in all my years I have 1 of each thats a good day in my book That CZ sounds like a great machine and you do well with it cant get much better than that. Stay safe out there my friend. Tommy

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love this post silverfreak. It looks like a good time was had by all, especially the dog. Congrats.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great hunt. And a great dog to go along! Doesn't get much better.
Jim

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds and good to see your back at it :) i need to get mine out for a good hunt !! That Fisher sounds like a winner :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread