Basic shaker table build

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• Shaking_table_for_gold_recovery_WC-97-61.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 70
Upvote 5

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a thought, to clear the air on the above subject, I should post a .pdf that helped shape my journey on shaker tables. People seem to think that tables need to be some, super-duper, complex, scientific device. They don't! So if you always wanted to know how to build a simple, portable table that can be used about anywhere, this is for you.
Nice but there's 51 pages lol

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice but there's 51 pages lol
Reminds me of 'Panning for nuggets'..........LOL.

There sure is a 'Whole lot of shaking going on' to get a few good nuggets.........:hello::laughing7::cat::BangHead:

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yup, but alot of it can be discarded. LOL....I never said it would be easy...it's called "paying your dues"
Jim

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reminds me of 'Panning for nuggets'..........LOL.

There sure is a 'Whole lot of shaking going on' to get a few good nuggets.........:hello::laughing7::cat::BangHead:
Found one nugget on page 42 at one fifth scale showing a universal ball joint for the connecting rod connected to the crankshaft end. Shown in photo on page 46 as well with a few more nuggets.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a thought, to clear the air on the above subject, I should post a .pdf that helped shape my journey on shaker tables. People seem to think that tables need to be some, super-duper, complex, scientific device. They don't! So if you always wanted to know how to build a simple, portable table that can be used about anywhere, this is for you.
Wow how simple thanks Jim for the great insight and posting.
I think this could be used for some other projects dry.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yup, but alot of it can be discarded. LOL....I never said it would be easy...it's called "paying your dues"
Jim
Question is the supperpanner a different table deck with v shaped riffles?
Thanks

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Question is the supperpanner a different table deck with v shaped riffles?
Thanks
Found the answer:

MOZLEY SUPERPANNER: LABORATORY MINERAL SEPARATOR TABLE

https://www.911metallurgist.com/equipment/laboratory-mozley-super-panner/

If material can be concentrated by gravity methods (tabling, vanning, and spiralling included), it can be concentrated on a superpanner. If this instrument fails, no commercial method will succeed on fine sizes. The super-panner is a miniature shaking table into which are built most, if not all, of the motions used in panning. A sample of a few grams can be tested, or some hundreds of grams can be worked in successive additions and particle removals. There is, in fact, no great virtue in using more than a light charge when testing for a gravity process, but bigger quantities are treated when search is being made for particles of heavy minerals only present in very small amounts.

DESCRIPTION

It incorporates an improved shaking mechanism and a non-porous deck through which a cyclic pulse of jigged water is applied, thus stratifying the test material. If superpanner tests are favourable, a suitably classified feed is run over a miniature shaking table. The usual settings for a commercial machine are applied, attention being given to rate of feed and to pulp consistency.

Typical Applications

The separator is supplied with two easily interchangeable stainless-steel trays enabling efficient separation over a wide size range.

The ‘V’ profile tray with ‘end knock’, when treating closely sized material, is capable of not only of duplicating heavy liquid analysis results, but of giving additional data in the higher SG ranges. The separator is therefore ideally suited to carrying out release analysis.

The ‘V’ profile tray with ‘end knock’ is able to accurately predict sand table performance when treating hydraulically classified products.

This is of great value in optimization of plant performance.

The flat tray is capable of making very efficient separations of samples finer than 100 microns. This is of value in predicting slime table

performance or carrying out release analysis where fineness of the material precludes heavy liquid analysis.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hydraulic classification consists of separating solid particles suspended in a liquid (pulp) into two distinct particle size fractions – fine (or overflow) and coarse (or underflow). The principle of separation is based on the effective size of the particles by difference in sedimentation velocity in a liquid.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Supperpanner crank views. The ball-joint ends of the connecting rod look familiar........:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Since the supperpanner is also used just showing the function and features compared to the basic shaker.

Attachments

• Mozley-Table-SuperPanner-6 side.jpeg
    Mozley-Table-SuperPanner-6 side.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Mozley-Table-SuperPanner-7 end.jpeg
    Mozley-Table-SuperPanner-7 end.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 12

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I can see what happens when the stroke length is increased to around 3 inches.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The BGS-designed shaking table is about 25" long and about 10-12" wide with 9 riffles.
My guess is about 3/4 - 1" stroke at around 300 RPM's.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The BGS-designed shaking table is about 25" long and about 10-12" wide with 9 riffles.
My guess is about 3/4 - 1" stroke at around 300 RPM's.
Yeah, that sounds about right. What I really wanted you people to take from this was:
1. Wash your material. Put about 2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket, add a bit of soap. Stick a hose with clean water in there, and keep stirring it around until the water runs clear.
2. The water flow needs to be very consistent. You can do that by having a standpipe, with an overflow near the top. The excess water from the overflow goes back in the clean water tub. That way, the head pressure is always the same.
3. CLASSIFY....the closer to the same size the material, the higher the efficiency.
IMHO, the rest of all that scientific stuff has little bearing on what most of us do...other than proving that a reasonably decent table, setup correctly, can recover some really fine gold. My original blue table, as shown on my videos, was an attempt to roughly copy the BGS table, but with a motor. I'm going to get it out this summer, and put my Wilfley copy drive unit on it, and see how it does. I did incorporate a standpipe on it, but I think that may have been a later mod.
Jim

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few years ago, in ICMJ magazine, there was an article on rebuilding a Wilfley Lab table (about 19 x 40"). The guy said that the people at the Denver Mining, place where they sold tables, told him two tips on fine gold. 1. Use a bit of upslope towards the con end, but not more than about 1/4" per 36" of table length. 2. High speeds and short strokes worked best for fine gold. Also, when rebuilding my Wilfley table I found out that Wilfley made two tops for their Lab tables. The fine gold model used slanted riffles (as did the one I rebuilt), and the model for coarser material used riffles that were parallel to the stroke. I do not remember exactly what angle the angled riffles were at, but I might have that info somewhere. I think the BGS unit was about 10* off the stroke line. Also, Wilfley's table was not rectangular. It was 19" at the con end, and about 14" at the feed end. It was also riding on a single 7/8" diameter rod. The rod rode on 1/2 cups with a grease delivery screw on the bottom to make lubing easy. That single support system made tilting the table, back to front, really easy. The downside to that system was the steel rod had to be anchored to the table, thus increasing the load on the motor.
Jim

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, in ICMJ magazine, there was an article on rebuilding a Wilfley Lab table (about 19 x 40"). The guy said that the people at the Denver Mining, place where they sold tables, told him two tips on fine gold. 1. Use a bit of upslope towards the con end, but not more than about 1/4" per 36" of table length. 2. High speeds and short strokes worked best for fine gold. Also, when rebuilding my Wilfley table I found out that Wilfley made two tops for their Lab tables. The fine gold model used slanted riffles (as did the one I rebuilt), and the model for coarser material used riffles that were parallel to the stroke. I do not remember exactly what angle the angled riffles were at, but I might have that info somewhere. I think the BGS unit was about 10* off the stroke line. Also, Wilfley's table was not rectangular. It was 19" at the con end, and about 14" at the feed end. It was also riding on a single 7/8" diameter rod. The rod rode on 1/2 cups with a grease delivery screw on the bottom to make lubing easy. That single support system made tilting the table, back to front, really easy. The downside to that system was the steel rod had to be anchored to the table, thus increasing the load on the motor.
Jim
Interesting not much of an upslope add an adjustable angle swing the table more riffles maybe one table for all. A lot of variables stroke speed vibration it would be nice to just make easy adjustments water flow whatever it takes for the material at hand.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
3. CLASSIFY....the closer to the same size the material, the higher the efficiency.
IMHO, the rest of all that scientific stuff has little bearing on what most of us do...other than proving that a reasonably decent table, setup correctly, can recover some really fine gold. My original blue table, as shown on my videos, was an attempt to roughly copy the BGS table, but with a motor. I'm going to get it out this summer, and put my Wilfley copy drive unit on it, and see how it does. I did incorporate a standpipe on it, but I think that may have been a later mod.
The Hydraulic classification is way to slow to be very productive. With that being said a very long stroke could achieve much of the same wave action on a wide surface area. The ‘end knock’ could be a rubber bumper on one or both sides of the pan. The idea is to remove the slime from the courser partials.
If you take a look at the first photo of the supperpanner end shaft view you will see 3 different holes for 3 diffent stroke lengths. All are long strokes for the very wide pan.

The flushing with water to remove slit / slime / clay can work best with the sand materials acting as a 'sand filter' to hold the materials that are wanted for further processing.

Likely much of the classification can be preformed in steps to the stage where you have the slime pulp size. Perhaps the flushing can also be repeated with less and less water flow each time.

Playing around should help one to fine tune the steps needed for your materials / minerals.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The shaker could be used with a dry process first to help remove minerals like clay / silt minerals.

This tends to be a fast process however not a complete removal takes place.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2. The water flow needs to be very consistent. You can do that by having a standpipe, with an overflow near the top. The excess water from the overflow goes back in the clean water tub. That way, the head pressure is always the same.
A flow meter like what you see on the supperpanner is a controllable / repeatable water flow rate. This will give you consistent results for each pan batch of the same type of material.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Hydraulic classification is way to slow to be very productive. With that being said a very long stroke could achieve much of the same wave action on a wide surface area. The ‘end knock’ could be a rubber bumper on one or both sides of the pan. The idea is to remove the slime from the courser partials.
If you take a look at the first photo of the supperpanner end shaft view you will see 3 different hole for 3 different stroke lengths. All are long strokes for the very wide pan.

The flushing with water to remove slit / slime / clay can work best with the sand materials acting as a 'sand filter' to hold the materials that are wanted for further processing.

Likely much of the classification can be preformed in steps to the stage where you have the slime pulp size. Perhaps the flushing can also be repeated with less and less water flow each time.

Playing around should help one to fine tune the steps needed for your materials / minerals.
The super panner is an entirely different unit than the shaker table. What works on one has no comparison on how the same thing would work on the other. Their motions are almost entirely different. Let's not let a discussion on shaker tables turn into a SuperPanner discussion. Start a new thread for that, for the people interested.
Jim

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The super panner is an entirely different unit than the shaker table. What works on one has no comparison on how the same thing would work on the other. Their motions are almost entirely different. Let's not let a discussion on shaker tables turn into a SuperPanner discussion. Start a new thread for that, for the people interested.
Jim
I agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread