Basic signs and symbols you have found

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

Nonsequiter wrote, "So sorry to intervene. But I don't know what you mean by 'placed'. Do you mean this rock is not supposed to be here? I mean, I how did it get there then? Is it a marker? How do know the difference in where a rock fell and where one was placed? Just asking."
Being "placed" means that the stone piece was shaped and moved into position for a specific reason; either to get attention, present a direction to look or go, or to be a part of another monument. That "pig looking" stone is sitting on at least 2 small, flat stones, sort of like two "footers". It just looks artificially place by somebody, not nature.

These are just my ideas of what I see in the photos. I'm just a beginner at this. Old Dog, rangler, desertmoons, Victorio and several others on this thread (and forum) are the real-deal professionals. I almost called them "experts", but that label would be an insult. Mr. Carl Sandberg defined an expert as, "a fool who's a long way from home." :laughing7: And I certainly agree. A self-proclaimed expert is a fool. Non of those folks I just named are fools. They are highly knowledgeable and are constantly trying to learn MORE. Those folks can be trusted. :thumbsup: Rebel-KGC, swiftsearcher, truckinbutch, dsty, and the Oroblanko's are a few more.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

Tertiary, I believe the markers you seek are within view. Of course pictures can be deceiving.

This whole area looks very interesting to me. Agree with shorty lol... see what points to what.
But this one area looks interesting

For example, little rounded stacked rocks with the squarish one in front seeming to have eyes..- that seems unusual. Could it be a turtle? Out of place. Straight lines there in the background seem out of place.

But most of all the figure outlined in a square. Does it remind you of anything?

Now as to whether it is holding a bunch of carrots or a torch..I'm just not sure. Maybe it is flowers, to go with the possible heart it is holding.Valentines is coming up after all :)

ps..that one arrowed area reminds of an open oyster with a pearl in it. Never seen anything like that before.

The square area It is so neatlooking if it is artificial and that "C" or ear portion of it sure looks artificial to me :)

Do not share location would be my thought.

Attachments

• anomalymk2.jpg
    anomalymk2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,070

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008

That does look like a hand holding a torch.Have tried to darken and clear the image up a bit. It's on a steep hillside with lots of trees,brush and rocks as obstructions.This picture was taken at long range and enlarged which I don't like to do. Sorry for the poor quality. It.s hard to get around up there and up close, none of the things we might see in the picture are visible. Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg2.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,065
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Nonsequiter said:
So sorry to intervene. But I don't know what you mean by 'placed'. Do you mean this rock is not supposed to be here? I mean, I how did it get there then? Is it a marker? How do know the difference in where a rock fell and where one was placed? Just asking.

Asking good questions is always a good way to learn.
When we say placed we mean it was not put there by the hand of nature but, by man.
Most of the signs in this thread were placed or moved into place by the hand of man.

When a rock falls it leaves tracks just like you do when you walk across a sandy patch of ground.
Sometimes even these rocks have been turned and used because of their location on a site to give direction.

feel free to ask anytime there is a question.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Jim,
I have recovered some from the weekend and have an in box full of stuff. LOL
Here is your picture with highlights that is well done.
The responder asked if I would post it as he wants to remain anonymous

Attachments

• anomaly-1.jpg
    anomaly-1.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,070
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

and now for my version of the photo with scribbles for what they are worth.
Note, there is a royal poodle dead center.
a pile of hand stacked stones to the left
and an omega sign.
Great job catching things of interest guys.

The only time the Spanish used an abundance of signage in one location was to mislead,
and pull the hunter's attention away from the prize.

Great picture Jim.

Attachments

• anomaly.jpg
    anomaly.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1,078

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008

Many thanks to you Old Dog and to the anonymous stranger. My brother was over a bit ago and pointed out the poodle. I had a hard time seeing it, but it finally came through. Iv,e clearly got a long way to go but am having a lot of fun. Jim

jayheazy

Oct 13, 2007

Hey Old Dog,

I took this pic 4 yrs ago, before i had any idea of signs or trail markers. Hows this for a square beard.

Attachments

• My Pictures_01.jpg
    My Pictures_01.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,084

10claw

Aug 16, 2009

talking about having fun,i'll bet the poor sucker that carved that beard was REALLY havin' fun

jayheazy

Oct 13, 2007

I took this pic on my only visit to the south west. If I memory serves me the bottom of the beard is around 50-75 feet up from the ground. The top of that cliff is around 4000 ft up. I found it when I played hooky from a trade show in vegas and went exploring in southern utah.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Jay,
welcome to T-Net,
and thanks for the picture.
These ancient faces are whay were used by the "squarbeards" to mark the more commonly used trails.
I have found them in most of the accessable canyons on promentories or cliffs that end a canyon,
or where a canyon turns a corner.
Here are a few I have posted in this thread before
I call them the sentinels. The canyon where these are has one on every single promentory.

Attachments

• Little_Dominguez_Canyon_232 A.jpg
    Little_Dominguez_Canyon_232 A.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Little_Dominguez_Canyon_234 A.jpg
    Little_Dominguez_Canyon_234 A.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 999
  • Little_Dominguez_Canyon_216 A.jpg
    Little_Dominguez_Canyon_216 A.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,000

jayheazy

Oct 13, 2007

Hey Thom,

This one is in Zion national Park. The trolley takes you right up to it.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Pretty magnificent if you ask me.

Thanks for the picture.
notice the square cut out, that is a sign they left in all sorts of sizes all over.
maybe a signature ... who knows
I think they are cool though, and where ever these things are,
you will find the Spanish following.
The Spanish left their signs in the lower part of the canyons.
The most prominent places were along the streams and small water courses that wind through the bottoms.

vlady

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Gold Master II, /Gemini III (2 boxes)

hello folks, I need help with this rock, some one know whats means?,

Attachments

• Picture 1444.jpg
    Picture 1444.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 1,115
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

I will let you guys work on this one and give my interp retation a bit later,
Meanwhile this negative inversion should show what is on the panell in absolutes.

Attachments

• Picture 1444.jpg
    Picture 1444.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,020
OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Thanks Ernie,
I'll give a hint as well.
It is an initial or alpha marker.
Yes it is Spanish, and it is a cache marker.
The A is directional.

vlady

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2010
Detector(s) used
Gold Master II, /Gemini III (2 boxes)

I think, may be the horse shoe, its a burial near, ans the 7 is a camsite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread