OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Mi amigo Don Jose!

Welcome to the fray.
It appears as though the pannel directly to the right was painted as well at one time.
It looks to have been scrubbed, there is paint residue left.
The very first thing I do with a copy of any panell like this is to make a negative.
You see more.
This may shine some light on the subject.

Attachments

• sign  trail to Tayopa    Mexico.jpg
    sign trail to Tayopa Mexico.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 515

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay:
Looks like DM's pack horse / mule is heading in the opposite direction to where the duck is looking which fits with what you said about ducks.

Those "duck eggs" and the triangle are all too well formed to have "just happened" in nature. They must have some direct meaning for the overall puzzle.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay:
I updated my marked up photo with DM's packhorse and shadow padre. The padre turned into a shadow man's bust that looks a little like an Indian profile. :dontknow: And the horse / mule is walking on a ledge or well defined trail.

duck Merged Merged.jpg

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning all: One of the first things that I do is to reduce a color photograph into the three primary colors then go from there. This is how I managed to finally find the giant Sun sign up at Tayopa. One primary cut through the folaige nicely revealing it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Don Jose,

If you would Sir, please oblige me for a moment. Before I begin to even ponder the meaning of all of the symbols together. I wanted to take a guess at some of the individual symbols themselves. Some of the items I didn't label, i.e. the crosses, because it was the others I wanted to make sure I was close on. This piece of work is amazing to say the least. Thank you for your time.

Clay

Attachments

• shield guess.jpg
    shield guess.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 468

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Well i will give it a try just for fun and just because you are - The Tayopa Man! :headbang:

Upper left a flying bird. So you are not there yet. Just my own thought on that.

The 3 crosses seem unusually lined up to me..but have not seen many crosses. . Perhaps up a mountain to get to the final destination? The crosses get bigger as you go up. Perhaps laying a line along those 3 crosses will give you a directional.

The jagged yellow feels like topographical info to me. Perhaps follow the trail along a river in a canyon? One where tapirs live? Or known for tapirs? Else if not tapir..those mammals down there that spend a lot of time in swamp and marshes.
Or perhaps...this trail you will find food - lots of tapirs around. Or..is there a mountain or area around named after tapirs?
That tapir head toward lower right of the panel..well must be there for a purpose.

The stuff below the jagged yellow that I am thinking of as fluff or disguise..though it could be more topo stuff.

The lower two birds..the bigger one is a symbolic representation of a bird I've seen before i am sure in Pueblo Indian iconography.

Anyway looks to me like momma bird is bending over its neck to feed the fledgling down below it. The fledgling has wide open mouth. Not sure exactly what that means but i have seen that sort of thing associated where i "think" a mine is.

So.... you have a ways to go, the trail may be steep and also go along a river in a rather steep canyon. After the canyon..you will be much closer..perhaps within a mile of your destination or much closer than that! It may be a steep climb at that point.

Look for momma bird feeding baby(ies) when you get closer..they may show up again.

Oh that bottom big bird...could it be plucking feathers or blood from its breast? That sounds familiar some how. some...legend or perhaps old metaphoric tale.

One other thing all the jagged stuff in total, in outline below the middle cross also reminds me of a boat or ark in over all shape..an old old boat. It also looks like a pack animal to me. So though the road to the heavenly reward on high may be rough and jagged..it is doable for animals.

Well..as i said just for fun. I would not use these thoughts as a guide!

Attachments

• sign  trail to Tayopa    Mexicomk.jpg
    sign trail to Tayopa Mexicomk.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 446

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Basic Spanish signs and symbols you have found

Old Dog said:
Randy,

That is an awesome pig ! Look closer and see if his eyes are open.
Animals such as Pigs, Lions, Bears etc...will look towards a treasure site.
If the eyes are closed you are there.

Thom

Hi Thom. After reading your post above, I am looking back through some photographs my partner and I took on our many sign-hunting adventures. We don't know if this intricate carving is a bear, a dog, or some other animal and it's not easy to tell whether his eyes are open or closed. Any observations you can make on it will be sincerely appreciated.
~Jay~

Attachments

• bearcarving-reduced.jpg
    bearcarving-reduced.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 480

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois
there is a five on the head and bear is listening to the right, small ear,and looks like a pointer at right eye. just a guess!

Attachments

• bear #5.JPG
    bear #5.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 470

Clay Lindsey

Jan 8, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thanks...

Now that I see the 5, it jumps right out at me. Not to question your judgement, but could it be a possibility of silver to the left? Being the 5 is under the left ear listening forward in the direction he's facing? :dontknow:

Clay

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Awesome carving Jay,

Good eye Brent,
But look close. is that a 5 or an 8.
I would still look to your right but would inspect that number closer.

Attachments

• bearcarving-reduced.jpg
    bearcarving-reduced.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 467

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner and I are monitoring your replies tonight and they are revealing aspects that never even crossed our minds before now. Thank you. Thom, we expanded the size of the bear photo and it is definitely a 5. I'd sure like to hear y'alls' thoughts about the meaning of the 5. Is it a distance measurement, indication of the amount of silver (or treasure), depth, or something else? I'm still reading page one of this section but will surely stay tuned in for the latest. :) You guys sure know what you are doing and are very observant. We have a lot more photographs of carvings and other signs that we've discovered in our travels around central Texas in the past 4 years so I will be posting some of them later on.
Thank you,
~Texas Jay

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
clay i see somethings from this pic

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149002.msg2180726.html#msg2180726

the shadow sign?, youll have to go back, and get a pic at noon to see
to the left of the shadow sign? looks like a ?, im sure thats a cross
you wouldnt have a closer pic would you, if i blow it up anymore it gets blurry
sorry meant to say i color coded, hoping it would be easier to understand

Attachments

• horse.jpg
    horse.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 450

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Texas Jay, here's my nickel's worth on that bear carving.

bearcarving-reduced Merged.jpg

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shortstack, hadji, Clay, 10claw, and OD for all of your ideas and possible interpretations. I need to give some more details on this bear carving to make it more understandable so I am posting a photo I took of the entire rock slab that the bear is carved into. You will notice that there are many carvings of names and initials in this same rock. Other carvings in the area seem to indicate that most of them were carved in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The right ear of the bear points towards the east. The left ear points more to the north toward a mountain range. This bear face is about the size of a small man's fist but it was the first carving, of the many in the immediate vicinity, that caught my eye the first time I explored the area nearly 35 years ago. I hope this additional information and photo will help answer some of your questions and make deciphering it easier.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• fullbearrock1.jpg
    fullbearrock1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 450

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, Texas Jay. In my first photo mark-up, forget the "south" and "southwest" references.
In the new pix below, are a couple of ideas.

Clay, I saw him first, I saw him first. Nanni Nanni Boo Boo.

fullbearrock1 Merged.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions