What's new

Beach combing or Beach and shallow water

Beach combing more triggers shell collecting to me lol.

Maybe we can have beach combing as a sub topic for beach and shallow water?
 
SeaninNH said:
Beach combing more triggers shell collecting to me lol.

Maybe we can have beach combing as a sub topic for beach and shallow water?
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
 
Guys and gals that wade in the water detecting don't think of themselves as beach combing. To me the types that beach comb are walking the wet sand where it is firm to look for what ever is washed up on the sand. Sometimes they get lucky and find a drowned person which they can recover the jewelry from. Or maybe find a bale of "hemp" to take home so nobody else uses it. :laughing7:

Others wanna collect sea glass and shells. Maybe eyeball a coin laying on top of the sand.
 
Beach and shallow water! I've submitted my vote. There is NO mention of the words metal detector/ing in the definition of beachcombing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachcombing

beach·comb·er (bchkmr)
n.
1. One who scavenges along beaches or in wharf areas.
2. A seaside vacationer.
beachcomber [ˈbiːtʃˌkəʊmə]
n
1. (Business / Professions) a person who searches shore debris for anything of worth, esp a vagrant living on a beach
2. (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) a long high wave rolling onto a beach
beachcombing n
Noun 1. beachcomber - a vagrant living on a beach
drifter, vagrant, vagabond, floater - a wanderer who has no established residence or visible means of support
 
Sandman said:
Guys and gals that wade in the water detecting don't think of themselves as beach combing. To me the types that beach comb are walking the wet sand where it is firm to look for what ever is washed up on the sand. Sometimes they get lucky and find a drowned person which they can recover the jewelry from. Or maybe find a bale of "hemp" to take home so nobody else uses it. :laughing7:

Others wanna collect sea glass and shells. Maybe eyeball a coin laying on top of the sand.

Beach Combing is looking for shells, driftwood or what ever washes ashore, I hunt beaches with my detector for gold, silver, diamonds and other precious stones,..........well and to look at the eye candy, which is a lot easier to do with a detector in my hand then just standing there staring..:tongue3:....

As far as the hemp, I always tried to destroy the hemp a couple pinches at a time to protect any kids from finding it.... :laughing7:
 
Beach and Shallow Water - I voted

Have seen some vagrants on the beaches and I dont feel I qualify as one if that is what a beachcomber is.

Wishing you little troubles and big treasures

Darryl
 
If it ain't broke.....don't fix it. The former title for this section of the forum , just felt better.

Joy in Fl
 
finderzzs said:
I AM NOT A BEACH COMBER...'NOUGH SAID...
Yep me to.We are Pirates.
pirate7.jpg
 
I don't Have A comb That Big!!!! My vote is In Chug
 
With the title change, soon we will see posts, "which beaches are the best to find shells?" or, I found this shell, it's curly Q'ed at the top and pointed at the bottom, what kind is it? ;D ;D
 
Why was Beach and Shallow Water changed anyway................Beach Combing............really :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
 
Enough votes are in! Change it back. I thought beachcombing was downright insulting!
Aquanut
 
If it aint broke, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!! >:( Beach and Shallow water for me!!
 
Ok guys, which beach is best for sea shells? :laughing7:

Anyone collect sea glass?
 
Sandman said:
Ok guys, which beach is best for sea shells? :laughing7:

Anyone collect sea glass?

I preferred the Beach and Shallow Water title, but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss "other" treasures. There is a very loyal following of Sea Glass collectors. The North American Sea Glass Association has a convention every year on alternating coasts. I have a beach near me that always produces "Mermaid's Tears". People rarely visit the beach as it is on a dead end that has been eroding into the sea. During the 50's-60's, it was the place to be. Find some red sea glass and you'll be surprised what people will pay. There is another that is near the Old City inlet that produces blue/white porcelain after heavy Nor'Easters. Not all treasure is metal.
 
Beach and Shallow water hunting is what it's about for us. We swing metal detectors not hunt for what Wash's up on the shore with our eye's (Beach Combing). I vote change it back to what it was before. Rick :coffee2:
 
Voted: beach and Shallow Water!

Why was it changed anyway? :icon_scratch:
 
goldfever said:
For me, the term beach combing does not accurately describe this forum.


I agree a 100%
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom