ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone in this forum do both beach and relic detecting? Myself I switched to beach years ago but sometimes wonder about doing some relic hunting. The beach seems a lot simpler and it requires less preparation.
Yes.
Both have allure to me... as well as everywhere and anywhere.

I am the type I don't care where I detect as long as I can detect... I would detect the side of Mt. Everest if I was standing there and allowed to do so.

But if I had to choose... beach or relic...................... Both.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am overwhelmingly a relic hunter but if a beach had a lot of potential historical items, that would be good too. Just not many beaches around the mountains here. You should detect whatever gives you joy or satisfaction. Our friend Arc there sums it up best. It is all good.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach has not been as good as in prior years. It seems that a huge number of locations have been recently renourished including down the Treasure Coast.

There are a few relic hunting events coming up, but these aren’t cheap and I wonder how many good finds can you get with 200-300 other detectorists. Has anyone here done a relic event and what was it like?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been detecting since 1975 = age 12
i am mainly known as a water hunter but hit cellar holes and farm fields when i can
last few yrs i have had multiple health issues that have kept me from doing either
hoping to break out this yr
ive done very good in water - on land

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Moe. I started metal detecting on the beach with my son maybe 10 or 12 years ago, and we would detect on the beach every summer during our vacation in Delaware. Nevertheless I never felt like I got "good" at beach detecting and my finds on the beach have mainly been...lame.
My son and I only discovered relic hunting maybe 3 or 4 years back, and because of the history of where we live in New Jersey the opportunities - and the quality of the finds - were amazing.

But, like most teenagers, he got bored with relic hunting with his dad even though we were regularly finding 250 year old coins and similarly historic items. I was hooked on being able to recover & save such amazing history, however, so what started as a father-son activity turned into my favorite hobby and something I spent a lot of my spare time doing in 2021.

This year I plan to continue to relic hunt in NJ and Delaware as much as the weather and time will allow me to. I'll go out on the beach after big storms or when I don't have a field/historic homesite available, but I've done enough research into dry land sites that I'll probably spend most of my time on those.

I actually just had this discussion with another forum member and friend Scolino, and I told him that beach detecting feels like eating a veggie burger when I really want a beef burger with bacon (relic hunting). Scolino - who is a very skilled and accomplished relic hunter - responded that to him beach detecting is like eating a poop sandwich...

Finally, on that organized event question: I did one in 2020 on a 300 year old farm with about 100 other detectorists and it was fun. I found a tombac crotal bell (my first ever) and others found KG's and similar coins. I signed up for another one run by the same group coming up in April. Keep in mind that half the attraction of those events is the social side of detecting (seeing old friends, meeting "YouTube Stars", etc.).
- Brian

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times in the keys....many relics are found on the beach. I just go to the relic beaches....and when I want gold drops I go to the tourist beach....in some cases you might get a cobb coin and 20 feet later get an iPhone. The island provides !!

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've done both, I prefer relic hunting for civil war artifacts as I have lived close to battlefields and campaigns all my life. But I do like beach hunting. Beach hunting is easiest . No need to worry about posion Ivy, snakes etc. Beach or woods/fields I do the same...dig EVERYTHING I hear.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done both, I prefer relic hunting for civil war artifacts as I have lived close to battlefields and campaigns all my life. But I do like beach hunting. Beach hunting is easiest . No need to worry about posion Ivy, snakes etc. Beach or woods/fields I do the same...dig EVERYTHING I hear.
Yeah. I agree. I just love digging but relic hunting requires more preparation. One time years ago I literally got disoriented while in woods. Couldn’t see the sky and tell which way was correct. It took 5-10 minutes to orient myself again. If I go now I would bring a compass.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Moe. I started metal detecting on the beach with my son maybe 10 or 12 years ago, and we would detect on the beach every summer during our vacation in Delaware. Nevertheless I never felt like I got "good" at beach detecting and my finds on the beach have mainly been...lame.
My son and I only discovered relic hunting maybe 3 or 4 years back, and because of the history of where we live in New Jersey the opportunities - and the quality of the finds - were amazing.

But, like most teenagers, he got bored with relic hunting with his dad even though we were regularly finding 250 year old coins and similarly historic items. I was hooked on being able to recover & save such amazing history, however, so what started as a father-son activity turned into my favorite hobby and something I spent a lot of my spare time doing in 2021.

This year I plan to continue to relic hunt in NJ and Delaware as much as the weather and time will allow me to. I'll go out on the beach after big storms or when I don't have a field/historic homesite available, but I've done enough research into dry land sites that I'll probably spend most of my time on those.

I actually just had this discussion with another forum member and friend Scolino, and I told him that beach detecting feels like eating a veggie burger when I really want a beef burger with bacon (relic hunting). Scolino - who is a very skilled and accomplished relic hunter - responded that to him beach detecting is like eating a poop sandwich...

Finally, on that organized event question: I did one in 2020 on a 300 year old farm with about 100 other detectorists and it was fun. I found a tombac crotal bell (my first ever) and others found KG's and similar coins. I signed up for another one run by the same group coming up in April. Keep in mind that half the attraction of those events is the social side of detecting (seeing old friends, meeting "YouTube Stars", etc.).
- Brian
Brian - that is fantastic. I used to live in NJ but that was prior to when I started metal detecting. I wish I had started earlier.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times in the keys....many relics are found on the beach. I just go to the relic beaches....and when I want gold drops I go to the tourist beach....in some cases you might get a cobb coin and 20 feet later get an iPhone. The island provides !!
I have not done the Keys yet. I would like to do that some day. Is there a preferred time of year to go?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to find relics and love to find GOLD! There is nothing like finding a piece of history except for finding GOLD! I live inland in Virginia so hunt freshwater swimming areas for treasure and old home sites for relics. Not much Civil War action in our area but have hunted a few sites that i was invited to in the past. My health has kept me from detecting this last year but i am improving and hope to be back at it soon. The thrill is in the hunt!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold is my weakness, and there is more to be found on the beach..

Things are sanded in bad here too but that's the challenge, finding that one little area that holds yellow.

As far as land/relics..you can have the ticks, I'll take my chances with the sharks.

Dugk44

Greenie
Oct 26, 2020
Connecticut (NW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone in this forum do both beach and relic detecting? Myself I switched to beach years ago but sometimes wonder about doing some relic hunting. The beach seems a lot simpler and it requires less preparation.
I do both, beach mostly on the weekend's. Relic, and coin hunting on the week days on way home from work. Love it all, though...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Still sanded in and its February?
I checked it last week, still about 18 inches of sand in the wrong place. How I can tell ........... I have a stray crab pot marking a area I got most of my gold from last year. It's almost covered..:sad1:.. my concerned, if the pot starts to break down it is going to leave a trail of bad in that whole area.... if it is not cleared out by spring I will have to dig it out and move it close to shore..

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah. I agree. I just love digging but relic hunting requires more preparation. One time years ago I literally got disoriented while in woods. Couldn’t see the sky and tell which way was correct. It took 5-10 minutes to orient myself again. If I go now I would bring a compass.

That happens to a lot of us "Civil war Diggers" we get so focused on finding relics and looking for Hut sites, old trash pits, trenches etc we get "turned around" happened to me twice. Was able to find my way back to the road but had to walk a stretch to find the truck.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I really have started to love the Beach....but relics are my true game...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread